Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Washing machine trouble.

OK, the washing machine just started making a kind of high-pitched whine-like the sound an electric servomotor makes-while it's running.

Any suggestions? Other than buying earplugs?

Is my washing machine about to explode?
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Awesoministrator

vCash

Re: Washing machine trouble.

Sounds like your belt is loose and/or broken.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

(checks)

Nope, it's holding up my pants just fine.

Well, it's running and agitating and stuff, so if it's the belt I guess it's probably just loose. I guess I've got time to work on it this week.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's all those damn hooker parts. You really shouldn't over load your washer with dead hookers.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Washers have transmissions, dryers have belts.

If the tranny is shot (or about to be shot,) cheaper to buy a new washer.

Me? Three years working for a home appliance sales and service business (Maytag) in high school
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey

If the tranny is shot (or about to be shot,) cheaper to buy a new washer.

Me? Three years working for a home appliance sales and service business (Maytag) in high school
    Cool. Tranny shouldn't be shot after four years though, should it?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner
    It's all those damn hooker parts. You really shouldn't over load your washer with dead hookers.
    Don't be silly. Hookers are dry clean only.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Cool. Tranny shouldn't be shot after four years though, should it?
    Not unless you routinely overload it.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Well, I don't think I do. I mean, I'm a guy, so I'm sure I overload it from time to time, but I'm pretty careful about not cramming my entire wardrobe in it.

It is an pretty cheap washer, though. I got the realtor to throw in a new washer/dryer as part of the deal but didn't specify quality.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Washers (not all, I guess) have belts too. A pump belt and/or a belt for the spin cycle.

The only reason I know is because my old washing machine squealed to high heaven during spin cycle and I later found the belt has completely fallen off the machine.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Well, I don't think I do. I mean, I'm a guy, so I'm sure I overload it from time to time, but I'm pretty careful about not cramming my entire wardrobe in it.

It is an pretty cheap washer, though. I got the realtor to throw in a new washer/dryer as part of the deal but didn't specify quality.
    Rule of thumb on washer loadage: Check the water level once its done filling, The clothes should all stay below the surface of the water after you lightly moosh them down a bit . If not, you're overstuffing it. Overfilling wears washers out quicker, and doesn't get the clothes as clean.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Washers (not all, I guess) have belts too. A pump belt and/or a belt for the spin cycle.

The only reason I know is because my old washing machine squealed to high heaven during spin cycle and I later found the belt has completely fallen off the machine.
    You are of course correct, but that pump doesn't run except during the spin in order to move the expressed water out of the machine and out the drain hose.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Fair enough.

This was the first time it's made that noise-I'm running an empty load through it to see if it happens again, and I haven't heard anything yet.

vCash

maybe a bearing is going out stressing the motor? a belt is loose?

how old is it? still under warranty?

vCash

heh, i came late to this party

do washers even have bearings?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Doesn't appear that the problem is repeatable, so I ain't gonna worry about it until it starts up again or it blows up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

I want to hear Sicem's response to this thread.

vCash

I think the first question you should asked when this happened, is where are Steve and Ted? Cats can cause a high pitched whine while caught in a machine.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Rule of thumb on washer loadage: Check the water level once its done filling, The clothes should all stay below the surface of the water after you lightly moosh them down a bit . If not, you're overstuffing it. Overfilling wears washers out quicker, and doesn't get the clothes as clean.
    Unless you have a front loader.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Crap. Noise started again. Time to head to the store.

Can I get government assistance for laundry because I'm unemployed?