Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

What's the thinking on the NCAA vs NIT?

It's looking like an NIT year, what do you folks think?

I do think we will be much better next year. Anyway, NIT games at least offer the possibility of a home game (or two).

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: What's the thinking on the NCAA vs NIT?

If it were over now, I'm not sure we'd get an NIT bid. Looking down the rest of the schedule, it's going to be tough. Even getting an NIT bid isn't as easy as it used to be before the NCAA took it over. Now they have spots locked up for the conference regular season winners that don't make the big tourney, which takes a few spots away. Then you got to figure that teams like Kstate, missouri, nebraska, Iowa St, Baylor, unless one makes the tourney, all of them will be competing with us for a couple NIT spots. It's going to be tough. I think today, though, showed that this team isn't going to give up.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I think we'll make the NIT. This team does have a lot of heart and they play great D. Hopefully Nate Carter can keep playing like he did today. It also would have been nice to have Longar in the game.

vCash

They also cut the NIT field back to 32 teams from 40 this year. With the rule changes might back the NIT take less power conference teams, and give an NIT advantage to schools that will sell out in the NIT as opposed to schools that will have half-full arenas.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

We'll need to go 8-8 in conference for an NIT big, and even that won't be a sure thing. Not that it's a sure thing we'll go 8-8...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ash's Avatar
    vCash

At this point, I think the NIT could be considered an achievement for this team. If they could win one or a few in it, that would be great experience.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    At this point, I think the NIT could be considered an achievement for this team. If they could win one or a few in it, that would be great experience.
    I agree. and i think it's a reasonable goal and one to build on for next year.

to craw's point: if we go 8-8 in conference, Capel should be conference Coach of the year. playing UT, ATM, OSU, Tech, and Baylor twice is going to be tough load for only 8 losses. beating the North teams is going to be key.....NU, CU, ISU, KSU, MU.....though KSU won at MU, and ISU showed they can play at a level today i'm not sure we've shown.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ash's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    I agree. and i think it's a reasonable goal and one to build on for next year.

to craw's point: if we go 8-8 in conference, Capel should be conference Coach of the year. playing UT, ATM, OSU, Tech, and Baylor twice is going to be tough load for only 8 losses. beating the North teams is going to be key.....NU, CU, ISU, KSU, MU.....though KSU won at MU, and ISU showed they can play at a level today i'm not sure we've shown.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that.

And while the NIT shouldn't always be the goal, it's nothing to sniff at as well. Especially for a young team during a rebuilding year. Teams that do well in the NIT often go on, the next season, to do well in the NCAAs.

vCash

even with Kelvin and James and Reynolds.....i think we're a bubble team. James didn't beat us today.....he's no Durant, that's for sure. Durant is ready to play anywhere near as i can tell.....James is a talented guy who needs some work. Reynolds has a bad game for every good game. we didnt' match up with Villanova because they shoot the ball well....and we don't.

i like the Capel hire....and i can take a hit this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Great chance at NIT. We should finish with a winning record. If we are 500 or better in conference we will be in the NCAA. NIT is my prediction.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Administrator
    vCash

I agree that the NIT isn't a losers tourney anymore. I also agree that it's not a given that we will get the invite. Keep in mind we have a 25 year record at risk of being in post season tourneys (NCAA or NIT)....longest in the nation.

I too think an NIT bid would be a great feat for this team, and the other Big XII teams should take their shots now, because I am 100% sure that Capel will have this team rollin' as early as next year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps
    I agree that the NIT isn't a losers tourney anymore. I also agree that it's not a given that we will get the invite. Keep in mind we have a 25 year record at risk of being in post season tourneys (NCAA or NIT)....longest in the nation.

I too think an NIT bid would be a great feat for this team, and the other Big XII teams should take their shots now, because I am 100% sure that Capel will have this team rollin' as early as next year.
    I agree. He is a good coach. He just hasn't had much time with these players and they aren't overly talented. Crocker looks like a good start and he seems to be a pretty good recruiter, which gets me extremely excited for 2009. Here are three reasons-

Already commited, up to 6-8.5 according to scout-
    http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprosp...=48884&Sport=2

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprosp...=51353&Sport=2

From what I could see he was the best player on the team that won the State Championship easily...as a Freshman!
    http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprosp...=41773&Sport=2

vCash

Henry is going to Kansas.

vCash

Oh, and just so you know, I don't think of this team as not being good until those 2009 recruits come in. I think we have a decent team coming together.

We've got Crocker already. Then we've got a shut down guard along with a good sized all-around guard. Maze looks like he'll could be a decent PG. Down low we'll have Blake Griffin and Keith Clark. That doesn't look too bad to me. It could be a top 25 team and win a couple games in an NCAA Tournament. That will keep the fans happy and the Oklahoma recruits interesetd in this team as a real contender. If we can get the other two I see a National Championship in our future, or at least a Final Four.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Rock Hard Corn Frog's Avatar
    vCash

I forgot about the NIT field shrinking. That might make us one of those 8 teams that would have gotten in that don't.

I do think 7-9 16-13 plus a first round win in the Big 12 tourney would probably get us in the NIT. 7-9 would put us in about 7th place. I think this team would be doing really well to get to 7-9 though. I think 6-10 is more likely. Our next two games on paper are the easiest conference games left on the schedule. We have to win both.
    "My landmass erupts with kittens."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    Henry is going to Kansas.
    He is a sophomore. Things can change.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson
    He is a sophomore. Things can change.
    If he doesn't go to Kansas, OU won't be the next choice.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OSUAggie
    Beat it kid!
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OSUAggie
    You never know, it could happen. It doesn't seem too far fetched. He is from Oklahoma and Capel has done pretty well recruiting in the state so far. If Capel can get this team playing well and especially if he got Orton, I think we'd have a decent chance. If if we don't get Henry, Orton and Hardick would be great.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Boffingham's Avatar
    vCash

We can't beat a ranked opponent. It will take more than 1 or 2 wins against a ranked opponent to make the NCAA. Pack your bags for NYC...it's NIT time.

If we're lucky
    I'm an underachiever, not an idiot