SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Good Morning...First US professional songwriter

...dies

Jan 13, 1864 : Stephen Foster dies

Stephen Collins Foster

143 years ago today, in the charity ward of New York's Bellevue Hospital, Stephen Foster, America's first professional songwriter, died at the age of 37.

Stephen Foster was born in Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania, on July 4, 1826--the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He developed his talent for music early and while still young began to compose in the style of Negro minstrel music.

His first hit as a professional songwriter was Oh! Susanna, which he sold to a publisher for $100 in 1848. In 1849, he was hired to write songs for the minstrel troupe of E.P. Christy. One of the songs he wrote in 1851was Old Folks at Home (also known as Way Down Upon the Swanee River.) It became one the most popular songs from this period.

page from Foster's notebook.

Between 1850 and 1860, Foster wrote many of his most famous songs, including Camptown Races and My Old Kentucky Home. Also among his most popular songs are: Jeanie With the Light Brown Hair (1854), Gentle Annie (1856), Beautiful Dreamer (1862), and The Voices That Are Gone (1865).

Despite his success and the hundreds of songs in his catalogue of hits, copyright laws were rarely enforced in music at the time, and he reaped few financial rewards from the widespread performance and publication of his songs.

In 1857, economic difficulties led him to sell all rights to his future songs for just under $2,000. Near the end of his brief life, he lived alone in New York City and suffered from alcoholism.

In 1864, he died in Bellevue Hospital. He had been taken to the hospital after suffering from a protracted fever which left him so weak that he collapsed and hit his head on a washbasin. Foster composed more than 200 songs in his lifetime, many of which are still popular today.

Perhaps interestingly, many of Foster's lyrics aren't quite PC to modern ears. Thus, perhaps Foster's famous song, My Old Kentucky Home, which is performed and sung by the julep-fueled crowd at the Kentucky Derby each year, has been "cleaned up." Below, you can see the original lyrics as published ten years before Foster's death in 1853.

Adopted as the Kentucky state song in 1928, the inspiration for the song may have been Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, published in 1851. Foster's first draft in his song workbook is entitled Poor Uncle Tome, Good Night.

My Old Kentucky Home
    Stephen Collins Foster - 1853

Verse 1:
    The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home
    'tis summer, the darkies* are gay, [* "people" is substituted here now, but KY retained the "gay" word]
    the corn top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom
    while the birds make music all the day.
    The young folks roll on the little cabin floor
    all merry, all happy, and bright.
    By'n by hard times comes a-knocking at the door,
    then my old Kentucky home, good night.

Chorus:
    Weep no more, my lady,
    oh weep no more today.
    We will sing on song for the old Kentucky home,
    for the old Kentucky home far away.

Verse 2:
    They hunt no more for the 'possum and the coon
    on meadow, the hill, and the shore.
    They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon
    on the bench by that old cabin door.
    The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart
    with sorrow where all was delight.
    The time has come when the darkies have to part

Chorus:

Verse 3:
    The head must bow and the back will have to bend
    wherever the darky may go.
    A few more days and the trouble all will end
    in the field where sugar-canes may grow.
    A few more days for to tote the weary load,
    no matter, 'twill never be light.
    A few more days 'till we totter on the road,

Chorus:
    Adopted as Florida's state song, The Old Folks at Home, or Swanee River is criticized as offensive to black people for its use of 19th century black vernacular. Officially anyway, the Florida legislature has never adapted the original lyrics to make them less offensive.

Foster himself supported the North in the Civil War and sympathised with the plight of the black Americans in his day. W.E.B. DuBois considered it "an authentic song of the Negro race." In 1997, former state representative Willy Logan presented an unsuccessful motion to have the song replaced, on the grounds that it was racist. At many public performances, words like "mama," "darling," "brothers" or "dear ones" are often used in place of "darkies."

As the official state song of Florida, it had become a tradition for the tune to be performed as part of the inaguration ceremony for incoming governors. However, the newly elected governor, Charlie Crist decided not to include it in his 2007 inaguration so as not to possibly offend the state's black population.

Old Folks at Home

1st verse
    Way down upon de Swanee ribber,
    Far, far away,
    Dere's wha my heart is turning ebber,
    Dere's wha de old folks stay.
    All up and down de whole creation
    Sadly I roam,
    Still longing for de old plantation
    And for de old folks at home.

Chorus
    All de world am sad and dreary,
    Ebry where I roam,
    Oh! darkeys how my heart grows weary,
    Far from de old folks at home.

2nd verse
    All round de little farm I wandered
    When I was young,
    Den many happy days I squandered,
    Many de songs I sung.
    When I was playing wid my brudder
    Happy was I
    Oh! take me to my kind old mudder,
    Dere let me live and die.

Chorus
    3rd verse
    One little hut amond de bushes,
    One dat I love,
    Still sadly to my mem'ry rushes,
    No matter where I rove
    When will I see de bees a humming
    All round de comb?
    When will I hear de banjo tumming
    Down in my good old home?

Chorus

Foster is buried in the Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania near where he grew up and lived most of his life.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BoogercountySooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Good Morning...First US professional songwriter

Interesting Homey
    Thanks, Booger
    Booger Kills Deer and eatsem!

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Despite his success and the hundreds of songs in his catalogue of hits, copyright laws were rarely enforced in music at the time, and he reaped few financial rewards from the widespread performance and publication of his songs.
    Interesting parallel to be drawn between then and today. While successful artists are highly compensated today, you have to wonder how long that's going to last if people persist in the "victimless crime" of illegally downloading music.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Interesting parallel to be drawn between then and today. While successful artists are highly compensated today, you have to wonder how long that's going to last if people persist in the "victimless crime" of illegally downloading music.
    Interesting parallel indeed. In Foster's day, the copyright infringement was often unenforced because WTF knew if somebody was performing or reprinting your sheet music out in the sticks? Put another way, information technology was virtually non-existent, so there was no way for a composer in NYC to view a playbill from a St. Louis music hall or monitor knock-off sheet music for sale in Milwaukee.

Today, due to the ubiquitous and advanced nature of file sharing around the planet, advanced information technology results in stiffed artists and composers... until they figure out a way to monitor all the file-sharing.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Veddddddy eenteresting/
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)