Thumbs up Good article

This was sent to me this morning...

Denver News

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT.

Denver Post:

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the central part of
    Colorado after todays snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:
    George Bush did not come.
    FEMA did nothing.
    No one howled for the government.
    No one blamed the government.
    No one even uttered an expletive on TV .
    Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.
    Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.
    Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.
    CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.
    No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.
    No one looted.
    Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.
    Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.
    No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.
    No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.
    Nope, we just melted the snow for water.
    Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.
    The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.
    Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.
    Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.
    We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.
    We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".
    We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.
    "In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."
    It does seem that way, at least to me.
    Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a living.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Good article

writer made a very good point. good read
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

I got this as an email several days ago.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

i got it a couple months ago!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Snowstorms can be bad, no doubt. But it's nothing like a flood. The writer may have some good points, but his comparison is flawed. Badly.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

This thing is regoddamndiculous.

And for what it's worth, people up here laugh their asses off any time a city gets a dumping of snow and shuts down for three or four days. However, if Anchorage got hit by a flood, you better damn well believe we'd be in trouble.

Could the people of New Orleans have handled Katrina better? Sure. But standing around thumping your chest because you managed to handle a freaking snowstorm and someone else had trouble with a hurricane is silly. Cripes, Anchorage got 3 feet of snow in 14 hours a few years back and everyone stayed open and flights were still coming in and out.

edit:

And of course, if Denver got flooded, we'd all be in trouble.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Administrator
    vCash

I think the point of the email (which I got a few weeks back myself) is that folks from the nation's breadbasket typically ain't freeloading, lazy, worthless, no-account P'sOS who live the welfare lifestyle like it's their birthright. You know, like folks on the coast/s do.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

That's what I got from it, too.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member dolemitesooner's Avatar
    vCash

How and when can I get a 2,000 Debit card for free

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I think the point of the email (which I got a few weeks back myself) is that folks from the nation's breadbasket typically ain't freeloading, lazy, worthless, no-account P'sOS who live the welfare lifestyle like it's their birthright. You know, like folks on the coast/s do.

Amen to that Bro!!
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    Einstein.

vCash

I imagine that's what the author is getting at, but he totally diminishes the effectiveness of his message by using a stupid analogy.

It's like someone griping about medicare "freeloaders" because he handled a black eye better than someone else handled cancer.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Yeah, nobody in the breadbasket has ever taken federal assistance. Farm subsidies just don't exist.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Here's the point..."maybe SOME people will get the message. The world
    does NOT owe you a living."
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    Einstein.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RFH Shakes
    I guess they don't want to hear this.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Yeah, nobody in the breadbasket has ever taken federal assistance. Farm subsidies just don't exist.
    Yes Froze, our resident negaholic, people in the breadbasket have/do rely on federal "programs" to maintain their farms. However, what you obviously don't see is that these people are out there working their asses off trying to make a farm work, and your beloved people are laying on their lazy ***, stealing/doping/whining the blues and expecting their check. Big diff, no?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Being paid to not grow a crop constitutes "working your *** off?"

That's news.

I seem to recall a bunch of people in Iowa crying to the federal government to come in and rescue them when the Mississippi flooded back in the 90s. Or does Iowa not constitute the breadbasket anymore?

I seem to recall the government bailing out Chrysler several years ago-did Detroit move to one of the coasts?

TopDawg said it best: the gist of this e-mail is someone with a bloody nose telling someone with cancer that they should deal with things better. Beyond that, the e-mail is a pure fabrication.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tbl
    I guess they don't want to hear this.
    I never really believed this was a result of the Denver snowstorm. But the fact of the matter is that, at some point, someone (seemingly) wanting to disparage the hurricane victims authored that text and thought he had crafted something worth passing on.

He was wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

I agree with what the author wrote.

And Dean is almost right on...the damn point is, get off of your as$ and help YOURSELF don't sit around and wait for the government to do it!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.