SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!

http://www.newsok.com/article/299019...late=sports/ou

By John Helsley
    Staff Writer
    NORMAN — The portable building that serves as Regina Bell's music room stands silent. For now.

It's almost 9 a.m. on a Thursday, which for the fourth-graders at Grover Cleveland Elementary School signals reading time with Oklahoma football player Jacob Gutierrez.

Every Thursday.

The kids wouldn't miss it.

Neither would Gutierrez, which partly explains why he's adored by the 10-and-under crowd at Cleveland, not to mention teachers and the principal and just about anybody willing to get to know the smallish Sooner with so much to give.

And Gutierrez gives — of himself.

On the field. In his classes at OU. At Cleveland and other local schools. Through Fellowship of Christian athletes and food drives and charity events.

But the kids, they hold a special connection with Gutierrez.

"I've had some of the great ones walk through my door,” Bell says. "Dan Cody. Jason White. Plenty of them. Don't get me wrong, the kids love those guys.

"It's just that consistency factor with Jacob. They don't have to wonder, ‘Is Jacob going to be here this week?'

"They know that at 9 o'clock, Jacob's going to walk through the door. It's not a novelty with Jacob. And they're over the awe factor that Jacob is a football player. Now he's like a big brother.”

Extended family
    Jacob Gutierrez comes from big family.

While he grew up with just one brother and sister, Jacob's dad was one of 12 kids and there are 33 cousins spread throughout San Antonio, Jacob's hometown.

"I've been around kids all my life,” Gutierrez said.

It shows.

Gutierrez arrived at OU in 2003 and heard secondary coach Bobby Jack Wright talk about a partnership with a local elementary school that involved time with kids. Gutierrez was in.

"I realize I've been blessed,” Gutierrez says. "I'm real fortunate, one just being at this program. It's something a lot of people don't get. I just want to give back to others. I kind of realized in high school, the position I was in with football gave me an opportunity to reach kids.

"And it's something family has installed in me, too.”

Count on ‘Gute'
    Regina Bell says what Gutierrez offers — simple, unfailing dependability — is too often underrated.

"We as adults don't realize that kids pick up on that trust factor so quick,” Bell says. "They know who's there for them. Jacob's there for you. And it's consistent, not just a ‘whenever' basis.

"I think the best word for that is loyalty. He's built up a trust factor with the kids. We have a lot of volunteers. As proud of them as we are, Jacob is there every week.”

Says OU quarterback Paul Thompson: "Jacob's one of the top guys in the community, going out offering his time all over the place. I don't know how he does it.

"I don't know if I could do all the things he does, honestly, because he does a lot. Then to do class and practice as well, and be successful in all those areas, it says a lot. He's got a lot of time, a lot of energy and he's putting it into the right things.”

Over in Lisa Stuart's fourth-grade class, Gutierrez arrives in time to join craft time. Today they're making reindeer ornaments out of pipe cleaners and other odds and ends. And "Gute,” as everyone seems to know him, is so at ease in the environment.

"He likes to do crafts and kid stuff,” says 9-year-old Brandon Marquardt, the grandson of former Norman High basketball coaching legend Max Marquardt. "He probably wishes he was younger, since they don't do this stuff in college.”

Says Sooners coach Bob Stoops: "Young kids and people just gravitate to him. He's got a great spirit that he enjoys sharing.”

Stuart has to split up the class to work with Gutierrez in stages.

"Ready to change places?” she says after a while.

"No!” the kids encircling Gutierrez respond in unison.

Stuart once asked her class for an adjective to describe Gutierrez. One consistent response: encouraging.

"One child wrote, ‘He encourages me to do my best,' ” says Stuart. "I thought that was awesome.”

And encouragement is the buzz-word this day.

"I like Jacob Gutierrez because he encourages us to fulfill our dreams,” says 9-year-old Dakota Rigsby. "You can be a football star. A doctor. You feel you can be whatever you want to be.”

Maybe that message resonates because Gutierrez is a living example.

At 5-foot-6, Gutierrez isn't the biggest or the strongest, except when he's at Cleveland. And he's not the biggest Sooner star, but rather a reserve running back who may do his best work outside the spotlight on special teams.

Still he's a success.

When Adrian Peterson was lost to the Sooners for seven games with a broken collarbone, Gutierrez contributed 212 rushing yards as part of a three-man replacement committee.

Off the field, the sociology major was one of five Sooners named Academic-All Big 12.

The year also saw Gutierrez named one of six collegiate finalists for the 2006 Coach Wooden Cup, a citizenship award presented last January by Athletes For A Better World in Atlanta. In spring 2005, Gutierrez received the Youth Citizen Award, given by the United Way of Norman and Junior League of Norman in recognition of volunteerism.

"Even if Jacob wasn't an OU football player, the kids would love him because of his heart,” Stuart says. "He has a wonderful heart.”

Luck of the draw
    Gutierrez sits comfortably in a rocking chair in Regina Bell's room, waiting for 9 a.m.

And the kids.

This is where he wants to be. Both now and in the future.

"I've had a chance to work with juvenile youth rehab programs,” Gutierrez says. "I enjoyed that. I feel that's a way I can make a difference. There are a lot of kids out there in unfortunate situations. If I can help them out in any way, it's something I enjoy doing.

"It's what I want to do after school. I don't know what specific job, maybe at a rec center, counseling, whatever it is, I want to be with kids and people in general and help them out any way I can.”

Even at Cleveland, he's had an impact.

Gutierrez shares stories and sings and even learned how to read music — right alongside the fourth-graders — in Bell's class. Sometimes when the weather is right, he'll take the kids outside and throw a football.

One student was having some issues in class until it was suggested he'd no longer be allowed to join Gutierrez for reading time. The student's behavior is now celebrated.

On this Thursday, students finally stream into the music room to find Gutierrez already there.

"Jacob!” they scream, rushing to his side. Soon they're slapping hands and high-fiving and hugging.

Later, Gutierrez says this is his payoff.

"Just feeling the hugs from them, that's my favorite part,” he says.

Bell settles the group as Gutierrez holds up a book: "A New and Improved Santa.”

Soon, the kids are sitting criss-cross applesauce, listening intently to Gutierrez spin the tale about a Santa makeover that includes the jolly old elf eating tofu and exercising. Off to the side, Bell watches admiringly.

"As a mom of two boys,” she says, "if they grow up to be half as good as Jacob, I should be mom of the year.

"By luck of the draw, I picked Jacob when he first came here as a freshman. It's the best luck of the draw I've ever had.”

Re: GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!

great read.. what a great kid..

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Blues1's Avatar
    vCash

This a Special Person -- Boomer Sooner....!!!

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

I would read, but I don't like kids too much, and a whole class full of them... !!! Just goes to show what kind of person Gute is, the respect he deserves, the world needs characters like him, hard workers in everything they do, charitible, honest...
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

vCash

At 5-foot-6, Gutierrez isn't the biggest or the strongest

ahem.

470 lb benchpress (first on team)

just sayin'
    I remember when I used to be really into nostalgia

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner n houston's Avatar
    vCash

Good read, thanks.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 josh09's Avatar
    vCash

Awesome

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    ahem.

just sayin'
    ahem
    from newsok.com

Just sayin
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerloyal's Avatar
    vCash

He's going to be one great Daddy someday. What a boon he is for my youngest's old elementary school.

God bless Jacob G. tenthousandfold above and beyond anything he could ask or dream.

Thanks for sharing. His story is always great to hear.
    "I thought the only way we could beat Bama is if they came in unmotivated like we did against Boise. Bama wasn't caught off guard, OU didn't use cheap-*** trickeration...for 60 minutes we punched them in the face and they went down." - SoonernAR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    - Hubert H. Humphrey

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

Great article, Widescreen. Thanks. Best of everything for Gute in his future endeavors.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.

vCash

He is every bit as cool to the random college student in Dale Hall or at the Union- - he is very humble and gives a smile and a kind word to any and everyone....

A classy man indeed!
    "Loyalty is still the same,
    Whether it win or lose the game;
    True as a dial to the sun,
    Although it be not shined upon."
    (Samuel Butler- Hudibras, 1663)

Sooner born, Sooner bred....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    ahem.

just sayin'
    heh, i was thinking the same thing

we need more kids like him, and less MIPs

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

well to be fair, kids are drawn to him because they are as tall as him at that age

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

great article. i recently re-watched the Baylor game from last year and Jacob and Runnels were money. that was a big win, one we really needed and tried to give away.

vCash

God Bless You Gute ! ! !

Keep up the good work ! ! !