SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

Fedora core 3 - work of the devil

I installed it, that part went very easy.

Then I tried to reinstall XP on the PC, over Fedora.

You have to make a boot floppy with fdisk to get rid of the partitions that fedora makes to install XP.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...=295701&page=2

vCash

Re: Fedora core 3 - work of the devil

Heh, yeah I sort of had that problem. I had dual installed Fedora and XP on separate partitions and then deleted Fedora. Well when I did that it deleted the boot loader which was on the linux partition, so I had no ways of getting into windows. Took me a couple of days to figure out how to fix that by stumbling my way around.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Getem's Avatar
    vCash

Sounds like Windows' fault to me. Any OS oughta be able to repartition your hard drive for you, no matter how bad it's screwed up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah, for dual booting, it's always easier to install xp first. Then run ntfsresize to shrink your patition, parted to create a new partition, then your linux install.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

vCash

Never mind. I thought you wanted xp and fedora to co-exist.

vCash

For temporary or experimental linux installations, I highly recommend vmware.

vCash

this is all XP... Win2k will install

i ended up formatting with the Win2k disk and then installing XP to fix this

the symptoms don't even make sense at first either

i was testing RAM and doing all kinds of crap

this applies to newer versions of Redhat too

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

I was running some version of Widows dual-boot with Linux a few years ago and bricked a hard drive with that same problem.

Finally figured out that Windows can't delete a Linux partition (or it couldn't at that time) and I had to use a Linux partitioner to do it. I wasn't super worried about the 4GB hard drive, but it annoyed the hell out of me.

As an aside, that 4GB hard drive rode around in my truck for 12 months solid. In Alaska. Once I got that partition removed, it ran like a champ. In fact, I still have the little bugger and I'm pretty sure I could plug it in and it'd work.

Western Digital Caviar, man. Overpriced, but bulletproof.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

I'm completely convinced Western Digital & Maxtor make the most reliable drives, all the others are decent except Seagates which suck worse than a sack of *******s.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Getem's Avatar
    vCash

I've had the worst luck with Maxtor drives. I'm using Samsung exclusively right now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Partial Qualifier
    I'm completely convinced Western Digital & Maxtor make the most reliable drives, all the others are decent except Seagates which suck worse than a sack of *******s.

I've had great luck with Seagate drives.

And Seagate owns Maxtor.

vCash

i gave up on Maxtor when they got bought by Quantum, they are almost as bad as Hitachi

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    they are almost as bad as Hitachi
    maybe you meant IBM? Hitachi's never made their own drives but they've branded IBM's for awhile. They bought IBM's drive business 3 years ago but it's still all IBM people running that show. Oh and I agree with you, especially the little notebook drives.

The only experience I had with Maxtors was my own P.C.; they were always loud but I never had one go bad. WD's rarely died but when they do, they die real slow, plenty of warning.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Seagates; scsi, ide, whatever. Seagates had a prob with their wafer design for years. They usually die with zero warning and you hear **** rattling around if you shake it. They just ****ing fall apart.

Come to think of it, the samsungs are pretty good. By 'good' i mean they tend to live past their warranty.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Partial Qualifier
    maybe you meant IBM? Hitachi's never made their own drives but they've branded IBM's for awhile. They bought IBM's drive business 3 years ago but it's still all IBM people running that show. Oh and I agree with you, especially the little notebook drives.

The only experience I had with Maxtors was my own P.C.; they were always loud but I never had one go bad. WD's rarely died but when they do, they die real slow, plenty of warning.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Seagates; scsi, ide, whatever. Seagates had a prob with their wafer design for years. They usually die with zero warning and you hear **** rattling around if you shake it. They just ****ing fall apart.

Come to think of it, the samsungs are pretty good. By 'good' i mean they tend to live past their warranty.
    heh, i forgot about that whole Deskstar thing, ugh i wouldn't one of those... seems a lot of laptop drives i've seen were Travelstars, almost all of them come to think of it, haven't had too many problems