Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Yet another which tv to buy thread

I want to get a new tv for my den. The primary use for it will be for gaming(xbox 360) Something around a 32 inch would be perfect. I want to get the best picture(for gaming) for the best money possible. I also don't want a tv that will have maintenence issues. Also under 8-900 dollars would be ok, less would be better.
    Please be specific, I really am just getting more and more confused with all these detailed threads, 1080 this and hdmi that...Sony lt459ddsez this and panasonic lwfw24442sd2 that.

Answers like, "sony blah blah blah, best buy-this week for $xxx YWIA", would be the best.

TYIA
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Yet another which tv to buy thread

Go to Best Buy. Watch the TV's. Pick out one you like in your price range. YWIA.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Do you have a time frame for when we need to get this to you?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr
    Do you have a time frame for when we need to get this to you?
    Time is running out, have you found it for me yet?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960
    Go to Best Buy. Watch the TV's. Pick out one you like in your price range. YWIA.
    Do not go to Best Buy to compare TVs. Best Buys have possibly the worst set up for comparing TVs imaginable.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner n houston's Avatar
    vCash

sony blah blah blah, best buy-this week for $xxx YWIA

Sorry, had to be done!

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro
    I want to get a new tv for my den. The primary use for it will be for gaming(xbox 360) Something around a 32 inch would be perfect. I want to get the best picture(for gaming) for the best money possible. I also don't want a tv that will have maintenence issues. Also under 8-900 dollars would be ok, less would be better.
    Please be specific, I really am just getting more and more confused with all these detailed threads, 1080 this and hdmi that...Sony lt459ddsez this and panasonic lwfw24442sd2 that.

Answers like, "sony blah blah blah, best buy-this week for $xxx YWIA", would be the best.

TYIA
    Buying an HDTV under 40" is like buying a hooker without a hole.

Just go to Costco and buy a Vizio POS or something.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Oh. I didn't read HDTV in there anywhere. My contribution was worthless.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    THAT is an interesting analogy right there

You can't go wrong with the Sony Trinitron

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Is there a problem with a smaller tv or is it just some kind of penis envy issue you have going on?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro
    Is there a problem with a smaller tv or is it just some kind of penis envy issue you have going on?
    Do you normally accuse people who are helping you of having penis envy issues?

Yes, there is a bit of a problem with a smaller TV. HDTVs under 40" don't give you near the picture that the larger ones do.

vCash

Do you normally accuse people who are helping you of having penis envy issues?
    If I asked someone about a ford or chevy and they told me anything less than a porche was a piece of crap, yes I would.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

OK, here's the deal:

If you're going to buy a 32" TV MAX, then it doesn't really matter that much what brand you buy. The difference in picture quality is going to be so negligible that it's not going to be worth the extra cost. To take the analogy you just gave a little further, if you were to tell me that you wanted to buy a compact car to get around town in and asked me for recommendations on an engine, I would have said that buying something with a V-12 in it is probably kind of dumb. You're just not getting your money's worth on it.

For what you're planning on doing, buy a Vizio or similar off-brand.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

I was considering a small widescreen HDTV for the boy's room and only because he has an XBox 360. But they were too much $ for a video game display IMO.

vCash

FWIW, I bought one of these (I think that's the one) for $899 a few months ago as a second TV in the front room (mostly for kids, games, etc). It's fine although the display for the channel # is REALLY small and hard to read. Picture is nice and sound is decent. Picks up unscrambled cable HD signals without an extra HD cable box, too.

http://www.magnavox.com/index.cfm?ev...d=5&product=93

vCash

To sum it up. If you replace "Best Buy" with "Costco" in my original post, you're good to go. YWIA.

vCash

OK, here's the deal:

If you're going to buy a 32" TV MAX, then it doesn't really matter that much what brand you buy. The difference in picture quality is going to be so negligible that it's not going to be worth the extra cost. To take the analogy you just gave a little further, if you were to tell me that you wanted to buy a compact car to get around town in and asked me for recommendations on an engine, I would have said that buying something with a V-12 in it is probably kind of dumb. You're just not getting your money's worth on it.

For what you're planning on doing, buy a Vizio or similar off-brand.
    Point taken. The room I am planning on putting it in is small enough that anything bigger than a 32 just seems overkill. A 40" might work but then the price becomes a factor, at least I think it does. I am not opposed to a visio or whatever other cheap brand would be out there if you really think the picture quality would be that close. This is why I posted the question.

So you are saying, go to wal-mart and get a visio plasma, lcd, what? Specifics man...

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

If it's mainly for gaming, go with an LCD. If you're going to be watching movies, I prefer the picture a plasma gives you.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 skycat's Avatar
    vCash

Yes, there is a bit of a problem with a smaller TV. HDTVs under 40" don't give you near the picture that the larger ones do.
    This quite simply isn't true. The issue with smaller TV's is that at a certain point the human eye can't distinguish all of the resolution that a smaller TV is displaying. That point depends on your eyesight and how close to the TV you sit.

Lots of people sit close enough to their TV to make something like a 32"-34" HDTV perfectly worthwhile, and gamers would most likely fit into this group.

There will still be differences in contrast, color reproduction, shadow detail, etc, etc, etc, that will be evident from one set to the next regardless of size. How important these differences are is entirely up to you, just like in any sized screen.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

I'm tellin' you skycat, this is almost word-for-word what the guys at avsforum say-if your TV is under 40", then there's just not that huge of a difference between them.