Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash

Re: OSU giving away bowl tickets

Quote Originally Posted by poke4christ
    Can't people just sit back and have a conversation with us? I swear, half my speck is just people saying. "get out of here stupid poke fan". Well, actually I cleaned it up. Also, only one person ever left his name with a neg too. Props to you Sam Spade wherever you are.
    You are one of the most sensible Aggies on here. There are many others on here who are dillusional, and is the reason that people act that way towards you.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ground_Attack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OSUSam
    this thread is hilarious. If you look at the numbers, OSU has traveled well to every bowl game that they have been in.
    what is that? two games? kind of a small sample size isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ground_Attack
    what is that? two games? kind of a small sample size isn't it?
    Ha ha, yeah it is a little small, but lets look at it this way:

-Three games in recent history.
    -All three traveled very well
    -Very likely to travel well to current Bowl (considering speed of sellout and sales at other ticket outlets).

Bodes well for OSU.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

Ha ha, yeah it is a little small, but lets look at it this way:

-Three games in recent history.
    -All three traveled very well
    -Very likely to travel well to current Bowl (considering speed of sellout and sales at other ticket outlets).

Bodes well for OSU.
    bodes well?

In what way? is there going to be some kind of big giveaway by the bowl committee? Will you be given an extra scholarship due to your bowl attendance numbers?

I'll give you a prize right now, you guys travel well to the ****tiest bowls in the country. Maybe someday we'll see how to travel to a top tier bowl, but I doubt it.
    I taste terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE
    bodes well?

In what way? is there going to be some kind of big giveaway by the bowl committee? Will you be given an extra scholarship due to your bowl attendance numbers?
    Well, we were selected above Kansas State and Texas Tech despite having a worse record. That's what bodes well. We have a reputation of traveling well and it is paying dividends. Finally, no reason to be so rude, I'm not being rude to you. Oh, and what is the Cotton Bowl? Choped Liver? It think that's a pretty top tier bowl, and we brought 40,000 to it.

Sellout benefiting team's reputation
    OSU football

By Mike Baldwin
    Staff Writer

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State has enhanced its reputation for traveling well to bowl games.
    OSU is only the second school the past five years to sell its entire allotment of tickets (12,000) to the Independence Bowl, although Alabama might sell its allotment for the Dec. 28 game in Shreveport, La.

"Oklahoma State sold its allotment about as quickly as you can,” said Independence Bowl media relations director Patrick Meehan. "It was a flurry. Tickets were gone just like that. It was very impressive.”

An anonymous donor purchased OSU's final 1,500 Independence Bowl tickets that were given away to students, faculty and staff. With long lines stretching around Gallagher-Iba Arena, the 1,500 "free” tickets were gone in four hours.

About 5,000 tickets remain for the game in which the Cowboys will play Alabama for the first time in school history.

Independence Stadium has a capacity of 49,147. The game hasn't been a sellout since Oklahoma played Mississippi in 1999, although the Arkansas-Missouri game three years ago (49,625) was close before the stadium lost a few seats.

"If there are tickets left on game day, you never know how much of a walk-up crowd you might get,” Meehan said.

"I know our phones have been ringing like crazy. This could be the first sellout since Ole Miss-Oklahoma.”

About 9,000 Independence Bowl "season tickets” were purchased by locals. Another 5,000 were purchased by 100 corporate sponsors or were set aside for the military and social service groups.

Besides the 24,000 tickets allotted, Independence Bowl business manager John Cordaro estimates OSU and Alabama fans have purchased an additional 6,000 tickets separate from the schools.

OSU averaged about 32,000 fans for the Cotton, Alamo and Houston bowls earlier this decade, bolstered by about 40,000 fans at the Cotton Bowl. Officials estimate more than 20,000 OSU fans will attend the game in Shreveport.

"Our fans continue to make our football team attractive to bowl representatives with their unwavering support of Cowboy football,” OSU ticket manager Tom Johnson said. "This type of ticket demand ensures we will continue to be pursued by bowl selection committees in the future.”

Once OSU became bowl eligible, Independence Bowl officials said the Cowboys were their primary Big 12 target.

OSU, 6-6, was selected over Kansas State and Texas Tech, even though the Wildcats and Red Raiders had better win-loss records.

"We heard Oklahoma State travels well, and we've seen that first hand,” Meehan said. "Alabama has sold a good portion and has done well, but Oklahoma State did excellent in a short amount of time.”

Most of the remaining 5,000 tickets available are $30 seats in the south end zone.

Fans can purchase tickets by calling 1-888-414-2695 or (318) 221-0712 or online at independencebowl.org.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 I_SMELL_FEAR's Avatar
    standing with one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel
    vCash

bodes well?

I'll give you a prize right now, you guys travel well to the ****tiest bowls in the country. Maybe someday we'll see how to travel to a top tier bowl, but I doubt it.
    yeah, they travel well to bowls less than 8 hours driving time away.

And of course you need to remember that because they go to the ****tiest bowls, that makes them the better fans.

vCash

Well, we were selected above Kansas State and Texas Tech despite having a worse record. That's what bodes well. We have a reputation of traveling well and it is paying dividends. Finally, no reason to be so rude, I'm not being rude to you. Oh, and what is the Cotton Bowl? Choped Liver? It think that's a pretty top tier bowl, and we brought 40,000 to it.
    Fair enough, I was being rude. Having lived in this town for 15 years now, I tend to harbor a little more hate for you people than most. While I realize it wasn't YOU personally, you are the one here, so you get the brunt of it all. Just how it goes. If I was on your boards, you better believe i'd be treated the same...by the majority. Been there done that.

What is the Cotton bowl? 2ND tier at BEST. Top tier bowls are the 4 BCS bowls, period.

Orange, Sugar, Rose and Fiesta, in no particular order. The Cotton, Holiday, and such are WAY down the list, especially monetarily.

So i'd just prefer a thank you from the rest of the league for OU's contribution to the bowl fund to the tune of 17 million. Compared to the payout of 1.1 million for your bowl.

Still hacks me off that crap like osu and baylor, who finish tied for last, will get a cut of the bowl money we earn.

and P4C, don't take it personally, I hate your fanbase as a whole.
    I taste terrific.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OklaPony's Avatar
    vCash

This could be the first sellout since Ole Miss-Oklahoma.
    Once again OU sets the standard and Aggie tries to live up to it.

Pride '80 - '81

Whenever Jay Carney speaks, a logic-angel gets its wings ripped off.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

why can't they just have their bowl games at Arse Pickins Stadium? it IS the nicest the country ya know.

also, I'm quite glad we don't have to figure a bowl appearance on just how well we be a travelin.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

do we still use billboards to advertise season tickets?

last time i remember seeing that was in 1997.

vCash

or half page newspapaer ads.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

OU4Life,

I disagree. The Cotton Bowl is a darn good bowl. It's not "top tier", but ony ten teams a year get to go to those. It's definitely not "WAY" down the list. Heck it's a New Year's Day Bowl. We've been to the Cotton Bowl in recent years and I bet Stoops was glad to go to the Holiday Bowl last year ("WAY" worse than the Cotton Bowl). I bet he didn't consider it a bad bowl. Yes, it's a let down for us if we don't get to a BCS bowl (which is kind of a good thing...we expect to go to one of those every year). But it's still better than the Independence Bowl (been there in recent years as well).

And poke4christ, it's still not determined if you guys travel well outside of your area. I've heard this all my life from my dad and brother (both OSU grads), but considering the last three bowls were easily in a days driving distance (Houston, Dallas, San Antoine, and now Shreveport) there's no way of knowing if you have a fan base outside of Texas and Oklahoma that would travel, or if a bowl outside the tri-state area would be interested to find out.

Now, you two play nice or there will be no cookies and milk with your lunches.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Still hacks me off that crap like osu and baylor, who finish tied for last, will get a cut of the bowl money we earn.
    A strong conference benefits every team in it, including OU. We've certainly been the recipient of BCS charity in the past.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

did you know oSu fans still don't know where the Orange Bowl is played? I tried to tell my golfing buddies in '05 when they (oSu) played in Miami that it was the actual town where they played the bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by MiccoMacey
    OU4Life,

I disagree. The Cotton Bowl is a darn good bowl. It's not "top tier", but ony ten teams a year get to go to those. It's definitely not "WAY" down the list. Heck it's a New Year's Day Bowl. We've been to the Cotton Bowl in recent years and I bet Stoops was glad to go to the Holiday Bowl last year ("WAY" worse than the Cotton Bowl). I bet he didn't consider it a bad bowl. Yes, it's a let down for us if we don't get to a BCS bowl (which is kind of a good thing...we expect to go to one of those every year). But it's still better than the Independence Bowl (been there in recent years as well).

And poke4christ, it's still not determined if you guys travel well outside of your area. I've heard this all my life from my dad and brother (both OSU grads), but considering the last three bowls were easily in a days driving distance (Houston, Dallas, San Antoine, and now Shreveport) there's no way of knowing if you have a fan base outside of Texas and Oklahoma that would travel, or if a bowl outside the tri-state area would be interested to find out.

Now, you two play nice or there will be no cookies and milk with your lunches.
    Good points all around. I agree we haven't seen what happens when OSU has a bowl more than a days drive away. Hopefully, we'll find out next year. Typically, teams do travel with less to long distance games, but I think you will agree that good turnout locally suggests good turnout (relativly) for distance events. Jurys still out either way.

The whole thing I get tired of is just that some people over here do everything they can to demean OSU and try to make themselves feel superior. Anyway, thanks for the very unbiased and well said post. spek for you .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MiccoMacey
    OU4Life,

I disagree. The Cotton Bowl is a darn good bowl. It's not "top tier", but ony ten teams a year get to go to those. It's definitely not "WAY" down the list.
    So you agree. That's EXACTLY what I said, not a top tier bowl.

oh, and Cotton bowl payout is 3 million. Compared to 17 million, that's sure seems to me to be way down the list.
    I taste terrific.

vCash

The whole thing I get tired of is just that some people over here do everything they can to demean OSU and try to make themselves feel superior. Anyway, thanks for the very unbiased and well said post. spek for you .
    I mean no disrespect to the football team. It's a solid university with many venues of study that are superior to OU. The kids on the football team bust their *** day in and day out just like any football team, and I respect them for that. I know several of the players on the football and Basketball team, they are just kids...normal college kids just getting what they can.

As I said before, my problem is with the people that comprise the fan base. There are a few really nice ones that I have met. But the majority that I encounter in my daily goings about town can suck it AFAIC.
    I taste terrific.

vCash

Good points all around. I agree we haven't seen what happens when OSU has a bowl more than a days drive away. Hopefully, we'll find out next year. Typically, teams do travel with less to long distance games, but I think you will agree that good turnout locally suggests good turnout (relativly) for distance events. Jurys still out either way.

We just enjoy picking on little brother, that's all.
    That and we are just returning the favor for all the delusional smack talk that goes on within your own boards.

Nice try, but somehow I don't think Gumby is getting you guys to any better bowls next year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

Tier 1 to Tier 2 isn't way down the list. NC Game and 4 BCS Bowls are obviously the top tier. Cotton, Gator, Capital One, maybe Chic-fil-a and maybe Holiday (in no particular order) are probably Tier 2. I wouldn't say that's way down the list... Monetarily, it's not even close, but "down the list" of bowls, it's not that far off.