Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash

Re: OSU giving away bowl tickets

Quote Originally Posted by OSUAggie
    Tier 1 to Tier 2 isn't way down the list. NC Game and 4 BCS Bowls are obviously the top tier. Cotton, Gator, Capital One, maybe Chic-fil-a and maybe Holiday (in no particular order) are probably Tier 2. I wouldn't say that's way down the list... Monetarily, it's not even close, but "down the list" of bowls, it's not that far off.
    You're right. It's not that far down the list at all. But do you think you will ever hear the end of this? Especially here, you are swimming with the sharks.

I know had Texas not imploded at the end of the season we would be content with a Holiday bowl bid, so I think a lot of the trash talk on here regarding the bowl itself is unmerited.

However, the topic of the thread was not that the bowl you are going to sucks. But that YOU suck. Keep that in mind, you cannot leverage your position here in that regard. Facts are facts, whether you guys think you travel well or not is irrelevant, especially when you can not sell out your home games. See the correlation?

Thanks for playing.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

Wow, thanks for putting me in my place... I wasn't aware that OSU sucked. Now i am. Thanks for having me.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 I_SMELL_FEAR's Avatar
    standing with one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by poke4christ
    The whole thing I get tired of is just that some people over here do everything they can to demean OSU and try to make themselves feel superior. Anyway, thanks for the very unbiased and well said post. spek for you .
    I think a majority of the people here dont demean osu to make themselves feel better. I think a majority of the people here just get tired of poke fans coming around every few years they think they have a good team, and try to compare osu to OU. Not to be rude, or flame or try to start anything, but it is very very very likely that you guys will never win a football championship, and you will NEVER have the tradition OU has, nor the fanbase. So come over to our boards an have converstaions about football...whatever, but if you start pumping osu sunshine, you should expect to take a lot of heat.

Some time you should step back, take off your orange colored glasses and just listen to what your fellow fans say, and some of the stunts your university pulls, and maybe you will see why we laugh at you guys.

Now I fully understand that we say things, the university does things that you guys laugh at...every university in the country pretty much does the same thing at some point in time and I for one can look at some things OU has done and think to myself "gosh, that looks bad, wish that had not happened"

...the difference is we dont come to you guys and pump our sunshine, make excuses and expect you to jump on board, and accept what we believe without being rude and unkind...we have championships, sold out stadiums, BCS bowls and probably 2/3 of the states population as a fanbase to do our talking.

thats my opinion anyway

I kinda started on different rants....hope that makes sense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by I_SMELL_FEAR
    I think a majority of the people here dont demean osu to make themselves feel better. I think a majority of the people here just get tired of poke fans coming around every few years they think they have a good team, and try to compare osu to OU. Not to be rude, or flame or try to start anything, but it is very very very likely that you guys will never win a football championship, and you will NEVER have the tradition OU has, nor the fanbase. So come over to our boards an have converstaions about football...whatever, but if you start pumping osu sunshine, you should expect to take a lot of heat.

Some time you should step back, take off your orange colored glasses and just listen to what your fellow fans say, and some of the stunts your university pulls, and maybe you will see why we laugh at you guys.

Now I fully understand that we say things, the university does things that you guys laugh at...every university in the country pretty much does the same thing at some point in time and I for one can look at some things OU has done and think to myself "gosh, that looks bad, wish that had not happened"

...the difference is we dont come to you guys and pump our sunshine, make excuses and expect you to jump on board, and accept what we believe without being rude and unkind...we have championships, sold out stadiums, BCS bowls and probably 2/3 of the states population as a fanbase to do our talking.

thats my opinion anyway

I kinda started on different rants....hope that makes sense.

nicely put! Round of applause!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OSUAggie
    Wow, thanks for putting me in my place... I wasn't aware that OSU sucked. Now i am. Thanks for having me.
    Anytime son. Anytime.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE
    So you agree. That's EXACTLY what I said, not a top tier bowl.
    My argument wasn't that it isn't a top tier bowl, but rather that it isn't "WAY" down the list. Actually, after the BCS bowls, it's one of if not the top bowl.

oh, and Cotton bowl payout is 3 million. Compared to 17 million, that's sure seems to me to be way down the list.
    Financially, yes. But considering it routinely gets two teams ranked in the top 15 in the nation, no.

vCash

Wasn't the Cotton Bowl being considered being added to the BCS rotation at some point?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Yes, but their antiquated facilities, plus cold weather in January nixed that. It was mostly their antiquated facilities though.

No matter how much it hurts too, but I think everyone should admit that this is one of those few years in which lOSUr deserves some bowl cred! I hope they give it to the Crimson Tide, but good! I don't mind so much because I know next year it will be business as usual! (lOSUr)!!!

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by poke4christ
    Sellout benefiting team's reputation
    OSU football

By Mike Baldwin
    Staff Writer

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State has enhanced its reputation for traveling well to bowl games.
    OSU is only the second school the past five years to sell its entire allotment of tickets (12,000) to the Independence Bowl, although Alabama might sell its allotment for the Dec. 28 game in Shreveport, La.

"Oklahoma State sold its allotment about as quickly as you can,” said Independence Bowl media relations director Patrick Meehan. "It was a flurry. Tickets were gone just like that. It was very impressive.”

An anonymous donor purchased OSU's final 1,500 Independence Bowl tickets that were given away to students, faculty and staff. With long lines stretching around Gallagher-Iba Arena, the 1,500 "free” tickets were gone in four hours.

About 5,000 tickets remain for the game in which the Cowboys will play Alabama for the first time in school history.

Independence Stadium has a capacity of 49,147. The game hasn't been a sellout since Oklahoma played Mississippi in 1999, although the Arkansas-Missouri game three years ago (49,625) was close before the stadium lost a few seats.

"If there are tickets left on game day, you never know how much of a walk-up crowd you might get,” Meehan said.

"I know our phones have been ringing like crazy. This could be the first sellout since Ole Miss-Oklahoma.”

About 9,000 Independence Bowl "season tickets” were purchased by locals. Another 5,000 were purchased by 100 corporate sponsors or were set aside for the military and social service groups.

Besides the 24,000 tickets allotted, Independence Bowl business manager John Cordaro estimates OSU and Alabama fans have purchased an additional 6,000 tickets separate from the schools.

OSU averaged about 32,000 fans for the Cotton, Alamo and Houston bowls earlier this decade, bolstered by about 40,000 fans at the Cotton Bowl. Officials estimate more than 20,000 OSU fans will attend the game in Shreveport.

"Our fans continue to make our football team attractive to bowl representatives with their unwavering support of Cowboy football,” OSU ticket manager Tom Johnson said. "This type of ticket demand ensures we will continue to be pursued by bowl selection committees in the future.”

Once OSU became bowl eligible, Independence Bowl officials said the Cowboys were their primary Big 12 target.

OSU, 6-6, was selected over Kansas State and Texas Tech, even though the Wildcats and Red Raiders had better win-loss records.

"We heard Oklahoma State travels well, and we've seen that first hand,” Meehan said. "Alabama has sold a good portion and has done well, but Oklahoma State did excellent in a short amount of time.”

Most of the remaining 5,000 tickets available are $30 seats in the south end zone.

Fans can purchase tickets by calling 1-888-414-2695 or (318) 221-0712 or online at independencebowl.org.
    How on earth can the Pokes take 40K to the Cotton Bowl, but can't sell 40K tickets to the OU game without Sooner fans buying so many? Unreal

vCash

five words: Mike Holder's exhorbitant price increase.

ags are a poor lot, by and large.

We may laugh at the lack-luster Cowpukes, but if the Gaylords were to give me a free ticket, I would accept in a heartbeat!!! If only OU Bowl tickets didn't sell out so dog-gone fast before they got a chance to buy any!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaoilerfan
    How on earth can the Pokes take 40K to the Cotton Bowl, but can't sell 40K tickets to the OU game without Sooner fans buying so many? Unreal
    Maybe because they are playing a non-big 12 team and think they have a great shot of actually winning it.

Winning % this year:
    Non-Big 12: 75%
    Big 12: 37%

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by I_SMELL_FEAR
    Like the cattle gate thing when they take the field? I still can't believe I saw that.

vCash

Time to get this thread breathing again. Why? Because it is such fun.

So last night I was talking with a good friend of mine who have known for years. After Highschool, he went to OSU and I went to OU. We have kept in touch over the years and it's usually good conversation. Until we begin talking sports.

In our most recent conversation he had mentioned to me how proud he was of something he got to do. He works for a Native American outreach program that works on getting Native Americans involved in attending state universities. Well apparently there was an award given to OU for their involvement in the program.

President Boren makes the comment that OU has more Native American students enrolled at OU than anyother school in the BIG 12. My friend hastily pointed out that this was not true. Because OSU hase 200 more students of Native american descent than OU does.

What he was so proud of was that he got to write a letter to Boren pointing out his mistake. About how OSU was on a 6 year upswing in this area and that OU has been on the decline in this area for 4 years now. And that Boren needs to check the accuracy of his statements. Yadda yadda Blah Blah.

This underscores the Aggy attitude in every way possible. I can't ever imagine aggyville writting this letter to say Texas Tech's president.

He can't seem to remember there being any empty seats in the Rustoleum stadium for the OU game. I told him he should write a letter about the inaccuracy of his own University reporting that plenty of seats were available. Good Ole lOUSr

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

OU has a very strong native american student council. they have also had native americans teach in their masters of fine arts program. I have 2 good friends who I attended art school with in New Mexico who both have attended OU.

also, more local native americans cheer for OU because we win.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE
    I mean no disrespect to the football team. It's a solid university with many venues of study that are superior to OU. The kids on the football team bust their *** day in and day out just like any football team, and I respect them for that. I know several of the players on the football and Basketball team, they are just kids...normal college kids just getting what they can.

AGGIE LOVER! I KNEW IT!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

My husband's boss came in on Tuesday with lots of Cotton Bowl tickets that he was giving away. I have idea where the seats are located though.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    OU has a very strong native american student council. they have also had native americans teach in their masters of fine arts program. I have 2 good friends who I attended art school with in New Mexico who both have attended OU.

also, more local native americans cheer for OU because we win.
    Nothing meant "easy A" more than any undergrad course at OU with the word "Indian" or "Native" in it. Native American music, modern indian problems, etc. Those classes were full of athletes.

I think the bowl game showed that it was more than just giving away tickets away. We had at least 20K and it could have been as many as 25k. So make fun all you want about us giving away 1500 tickets.