vCash

White Rock Half Marathon

About six weeks ago a "friend" entered both if us in this event, unbeknownst to me at the time. I figured we had enough time since we were already running 9 to 10 miles anyway.

Work hasn't cooperated with long run weekends OR mid-week runs and I hadn't gotten the level of preparation I needed, so I was really dreading it this morning.

But it ended up being a really top shelf event. They announced at the start it was the largest half-marathon ever in the state of tejas, and they ran out of numbers. I guess that means there was in the neighborhood of 10,000 runners for the half, combine that with the marathon and it was a huge event.

I was on pace for a 2 hour event at about 12 miles, and then cratered pretty bad the last mile. My motto used to be I'm still a winner if I lose my dinner on these things, and I was one winning mofo. I had taken a carb gel at around 9 miles and neglected to drink enough water to wash it down. It was trying to come back up the last mile or so, and my calves kept cramping. Ended up at 2:03 watch time.

I'll take it. I'm getting too old for this...I'll be a hurtin puppy tomorrey.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Re: White Rock Half Marathon

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

I got no joke.

Glad you made it.

vCash

We walked around Bass Pro today and then went to Steak N Shake.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

[quote=Howzit]About six weeks ago a "friend" entered both if us in this event, unbeknownst to me at the time. I figured we had enough time since we were already running 9 to 10 miles anyway.

Work hasn't cooperated with long run weekends OR mid-week runs and I hadn't gotten the level of preparation I needed, so I was really dreading it this morning.

But it ended up being a really top shelf event. They announced at the start it was the largest half-marathon ever in the state of tejas, and they ran out of numbers. I guess that means there was in the neighborhood of 10,000 runners for the halkf, combine that with the marathon and it was a huge event.

I was on pace for a 2 hour event at about 12 miles, and then cratered pretty bad the last mile. My motto used to be I'm still a winner if I lose my dinner on these things, and I was one winning mofo. I had taken a carb gel at around 9 miles and neglected to drink enough water to wash it down. It was trying to come back up the last mile or so, and my calves kept cramping. Ended up at 2:03 watch time.

I'll take it. I'm getting too old for this...I'll be a hurtin puppy tomorrey.[/quote}

Congratulations Howzit, I have run about 10 halfs and 3 fulls, it is never easy for me...I have done OKC Memorial every year since it began...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus

Congratulations Howzit, I have run about 10 halfs and 3 fulls, it is never easy for me...I have done OKC Memorial every year since it began...
    I've only done one full - the inaugural OKC. I have visions of maybe trying it again this year, but I don't know if work will cooperate. I'll more than likely end up doing the half again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit
    I've only done one full - the inaugural OKC. I have visions of maybe trying it again this year, but I don't know if work will cooperate. I'll more than likely end up doing the half again.
    I did the inaugural OKC full also, it was so damn hot I died on the second half...came throught 1st 1/2 half at 1:46, then the heat took its toll...miserable, I can still feel the pain....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus
    I did the inaugural OKC full also, it was so damn hot I died on the second half...came throught 1st 1/2 half at 1:46, then the heat took its toll...miserable, I can still feel the pain....
    Dang, a 1:46 half is hoofin' it.

I had overtrained and took a ski trip in the middle of the training schedule. My quads were fried and never recovered. I remember getting groin cramps or spasms at mile 16 - right around Stars and Stripes park. The last 10 miles were like the Bataan death march.

vCash

Dang, a 1:46 half is hoofin' it.

I had overtrained and took a ski trip in the middle of the training schedule. My quads were fried and never recovered. I remember getting groin cramps or spasms at mile 16 - right around Stars and Stripes park. The last 10 miles were like the Bataan death march.
    Well, I did not hold service in the 2nd half at all...but at the half mark I had these silly notions like I was going to finish in 3:35 or for sure in the 3:30's somewhere, well I ended much closer to 4:00...it got so hot, that is the reason they now start at 6:30 a.m. to avoid that heat that can bring you to your knees...

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Good job, dude. Running long distances is hard.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Cool. I was going to do the WhiteRock half but training slacked the last month. Planning on doing the OKC full in April as my 1st marathon, then maybe the Rock next December. Both are great first time marathons (well supported, fairly flat) from what I have heard. Waiting for Santa to bring me the new Polar 800sd until I kick it in high gear for OKC.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

I remember getting groin cramps or spasms at mile 16 - right around Stars and Stripes park.

I SWEAR TO GOD, IT'S JUST SWEAT!!