Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Angry Our never-ending saga

A few weeks ago, the boy had strep. Norm stayed home and took care of him. Since I was getting up going to work, he also stayed "up" and took care of him. Then, of course, I got bronchitis a few days later. The boy and I just got off of our antibiotics.

Last night, the boy is puking AGAIN! His throat is on fire, he has a fever. Norm and I discussed and he has not been well for any Thanksgiving, except when he was 4 months old. Every year, he will get strep about 3-4 times, and the dr. says if he gets it one more time they will take his tonsils out. Of course, he doesn't get it until the next year.

Norm and I are tired of it every year. I'm going to tell the dr. this morning to take his tonsils out over our Christmas break. That way he won't get strep, at least.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Our never-ending saga

When I was the boy's age I did the same thing. I spent every holiday sick as a dog. Looks like this year is no exception.

Hope he feels better soon and you guys get some rest.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

I had my tonsils taken out when I was 16. I've only had strep throat twice since then. May he have a quick recovery.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

I read somewhere that getting your tonsils removed didn't really help all that much and that doctors have pretty much stopped doing it at this point. Is that not the case?

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUAndy1807
    I read somewhere that getting your tonsils removed didn't really help all that much and that doctors have pretty much stopped doing it at this point. Is that not the case?
    Our niece had it done last year. I haven't heard that they aren't doing it anymore.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUAndy1807

They won't do it for adults much anymore because of complications, but for little ones they still will.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

Brewmaster

vCash

I had problems like that when I was a kid. At one point in middle school when they were on a six-week grading schedule I remember that the report cards said I had been absent 24 out of 36 days.

Anyway, I eventually grew out of it - haven't had more than a sinus infection in a long time. Still have my tonsils, too.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Had mine out at 18 months, never had a bad sore throat.

Ear infections, OTOH...

vCash

Used to be that you had to document a certain number of cases of strep per year before they'd take your tonsils. Now, you can usually find an ENT that will do it. I know of one or 2 in the OKC area that will.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member fadada1's Avatar
    vCash

i used to get strep a lot growing up. as soon as they threatened me with the tonsil removal, never got strep again. i'd say he'll outgrow it by about 8 or 10 years old... not that you want to wait.
    I don’t know if the block on that last one was due to low trajectory or if the guys up front didn’t hold their ground well enough. I’m not convinced it matters. We have every reason to believe the ball could have gone through the uprights and the refs would have signaled first down Oregon. - D.E.

vCash

I can relate Mrs. Norm. Our little one gets an ear infection every 4-5 weeks. Doc said the last time that if it continues we will have to take him to an ENT doc and get tubes put in his ears.

Just think of it this way....One of these days he will be taking care of you!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUDoc
    Used to be that you had to document a certain number of cases of strep per year before they'd take your tonsils. Now, you can usually find an ENT that will do it. I know of one or 2 in the OKC area that will.

I was told by a doc that they don't do it much anymore because tonsils are proven to be useful (I believe in identifying infections for the body) and taking them out removes that defense. I was told that you had to have a lot of cases of strep before they would take them out.

Also, what are the causes of strep? Can a kid get it even if they don't come in contact with someone who has it?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeetDigger
    tonsils are proven to be useful
    From some of the research I've read and heard about it the last few years, I would agree with this.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeetDigger
    I was told by a doc that they don't do it much anymore because tonsils are proven to be useful (I believe in identifying infections for the body) and taking them out removes that defense. I was told that you had to have a lot of cases of strep before they would take them out.

Also, what are the causes of strep? Can a kid get it even if they don't come in contact with someone who has it?
    Strep is bacterial, so somehow you have to come into contact with it. Strep's everywhere though.

True, you don't want to have surgery and remove parts of the body for no good reason, but recurrent strep causes lots of problems for kids. Missing school, parents missing work, lots of antibiotics, expense of those antibiotics, etc. There's also no promise that you can't get strep just because you take the tonsils, it's just less likely. Also, lots of other bacteria can cause a sore throat, strep just happens to have other potential problems. That's why we worry about strep.

Poor guy. The thought of kids in hospital beds makes me sad.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IB4OU2's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beano's Fourth Chin
    Poor guy. The thought of kids in hospital beds makes me sad.
    Me too, I spent many months as a young boy in the hospital. I hope he gets to feeling better and avoids missing to many fun days after his surgery and I hope your doing well too Mrs. Norm.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

our dad had his tonsils taken out when he was a kid because his twin brother kept getting sick and his dad said something like "take his out too, while you're at it."
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 skycat's Avatar
    vCash

Not much is worse than a sick kid.

I hope he's better soon.

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

Poor The Boy. I feel bad for him. Strep is nasty stuff...

I hope you guys feel better...and get well, wouldja?

"And the truth is that no circumstance can ever defeat us unless we let it... Resilience in the face of failure is a manifestation of the mind..." -Wayne Coyne

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUDoc
    Strep is bacterial, so somehow you have to come into contact with it. Strep's everywhere though.
    and a weak immune system won't help fight it, caused by a poor diet, which many kids have.