SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Question Credit Card Question (Frozen Signal)

I have a question for any of you credit card experts. Recently, I've started seeing people present a Visa or MasterCard for payment that has no cardholder name imprinted on the front of the card. These were cards that were (I'm guessing) preloaded; Ace Cash Services or some such was one, the other was from H&R Block so I assume it was the client's refund.

A boss type person refused to accept one of these but I'm thinking that he doesn't really have the option to do so. These were Visa/MasterCard credit cards and they were signed on the back; my opinion was that you're required to accept them if you accept Visa and MasterCard.

Anyone know the rule on these cards? A link to the Visa/MasterCard regulation regarding these prepaid cards would be even better.

TIA

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Credit Card Question (Frozen Signal)

They're cool.

I have a drivers license with no name on it also.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

My collection of Social Security Numbers with no name is pretty fierce.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Hmmm.....I can't remember what the Ace Cash Svcs card said but the H&R Block one said "H&R Block Client".

Wouldn't one of those pre paid debit/credit cards basically be a gift card to be used anywhere?

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn68
    Wouldn't one of those pre paid debit/credit cards basically be a gift card to be used anywhere?
    As far as I can tell, yes, except that it would require a signature on the receipt.

vCash

I think I've seen these issued by stores as credit for returns/exchanges.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr
    I have a question for any of you credit card experts. Recently, I've started seeing people present a Visa or MasterCard for payment that has no cardholder name imprinted on the front of the card. These were cards that were (I'm guessing) preloaded; Ace Cash Services or some such was one, the other was from H&R Block so I assume it was the client's refund.

A boss type person refused to accept one of these but I'm thinking that he doesn't really have the option to do so. These were Visa/MasterCard credit cards and they were signed on the back; my opinion was that you're required to accept them if you accept Visa and MasterCard.

Anyone know the rule on these cards? A link to the Visa/MasterCard regulation regarding these prepaid cards would be even better.

TIA
    JUST SWIPE MY DAMN CARD AND GIVE ME RAISINETS!!!!! AND NO BUTTER ON MY POPCORN!!!!!!!1

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

If a shopowner thinks that a card is fraudulent, then he can refuse it.

But yeah, those were gift cards.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    If a shopowner thinks that a card is fraudulent, then he can refuse it.

But yeah, those were gift cards.
    How would you know since there is no name imprinted on the card?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

How would I know what?

That they were fraudulent? I wouldn't. But the shopowner doesn't have to have proof to decline to take a card on suspicion of fraud.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

2013 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Osce0la's Avatar
    vCash

I had one of these gift cards about a month ago. I think it actually said something about being a gift card on the front if I'm not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Besides, a bitch gotta party, yo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    How would I know what?

That they were fraudulent? I wouldn't. But the shopowner doesn't have to have proof to decline to take a card on suspicion of fraud.
    Yes, how could you be suspicious if there was no name on it to compare sigs, ID or whatever? The card said "H&R Block Client" and was signed on the back by the holder.

It just seems that Visa/MasterCard is expecting merchants to accept these cards if they're going to allow them to be issued as Visa/MasterCard. I was just wondering what regulations/rules they might have regarding this "new" card type.

Thanks for the info.