Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 The Consumate Showman's Avatar
    in the backfield with "indian" jack jacobs
    vCash

Maybe now we go hard for Broyles...

with Tolliver dropping us off his top 2 or 3 list and Travis Lewis going to Nebbish, maybe Stoops and Co. will go a lot harder after Ryan. I am told by some of my friends that are "around" the high school scene in Norman that Ryan's situation could be a lot like Dom Franks last year...hopefully we can make a late push and get him.
    I have too much sympathy for myself to feel any for you......

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 KingDavid's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Maybe now we go hard for Broyles...

Quote Originally Posted by The Consumate Showman
    with Tolliver dropping us off his top 2 or 3 list and Travis Lewis going to Nebbish, maybe Stoops and Co. will go a lot harder after Ryan. I am told by some of my friends that are "around" the high school scene in Norman that Ryan's situation could be a lot like Dom Franks last year...hopefully we can make a late push and get him.
    So Tolliver dropped us? Can't say I'm totally surprised.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Are we damaged goods or what? This is ridiculous.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Someone I know mentioned that the Stoops being unhappy or leaving rumor is really hurting us on the recruiting trail this year. Not sure if that is the main reason, but I guess it could be one of them.

vCash

I must be behind. Where did this Stoops rumor come from and what is that all about?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba
    Someone I know mentioned that the Stoops being unhappy or leaving rumor is really hurting us on the recruiting trail this year. Not sure if that is the main reason, but I guess it could be one of them.

Whoever started that should be shot. Stoops has a G R A V Y job right now. I would think that coaching at the collegiate level is 1.) a lot less stressful than coaching a pro team and facing constant scruitny from a zealous owner and 2.) you have to deal with grown men and a LOT more egoes than you do in college, and in college, Stoops can dismiss them from the team like Bomar whereas in the pros, you get situations like Parcells ann TO or the Atlanta Falcons HC and Favre when he was first drafted.

Stoops would be S T U P I D for leaving OU now. He has, what, 2 more years and he is guaranteed $3 million? Plus, his '08 recruitng class just might be the absolute BEST he's eer had at OU. If these recruits are buying into this crap about him not being happy, they're just plain dumb. He comes off as not being happy when he does interviews and press conferences, but that's only because he HATES the media, and he's not afraid to show that. Nothing would change if he went pro, and even if he was thinking about it, all he needs do is look at where Butch Davis is now. Butch could've has 2 national championships in his trophy case, but he got greedy and went on to the Browns...what was it 2, 3 years later he is out of coaching and now he is at the "pinnacle" of ACC football at UNC...wow.

For Stoops, taking a probable pay CUT is not going to make him move on the the pros.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by starrca23
    I must be behind. Where did this Stoops rumor come from and what is that all about?
    No clue where it came from originally, but Dean Blevins has said it more than a few times. He and other people began mentioning it since before the season, right after the Bomar and Quinn thing went down.

If Stoops left for the NFL or another NCAA job, it would be pure stupidity. I fully expect the guy to coach OU for another 10 years and simply retire to coach a high school team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Consumate Showman
    Whoever started that should be shot. Stoops has a G R A V Y job right now. I would think that coaching at the collegiate level is 1.) a lot less stressful than coaching a pro team and facing constant scruitny from a zealous owner and 2.) you have to deal with grown men and a LOT more egoes than you do in college, and in college, Stoops can dismiss them from the team like Bomar whereas in the pros, you get situations like Parcells ann TO or the Atlanta Falcons HC and Favre when he was first drafted.

Stoops would be S T U P I D for leaving OU now. He has, what, 2 more years and he is guaranteed $3 million? Plus, his '08 recruitng class just might be the absolute BEST he's eer had at OU. If these recruits are buying into this crap about him not being happy, they're just plain dumb. He comes off as not being happy when he does interviews and press conferences, but that's only because he HATES the media, and he's not afraid to show that. Nothing would change if he went pro, and even if he was thinking about it, all he needs do is look at where Butch Davis is now. Butch could've has 2 national championships in his trophy case, but he got greedy and went on to the Browns...what was it 2, 3 years later he is out of coaching and now he is at the "pinnacle" of ACC football at UNC...wow.

For Stoops, taking a probable pay CUT is not going to make him move on the the pros.
    I agree, its very stupid, and you can thank Dean "the dream" Blevins for mentioning it on TV, Radio, website, etc.

How the hell Stoops can stand that guy I will never understand.

Nevertheless, it should be a pretty easy rumor to stomp out by the bowl game.

vCash

It sounds to me like someone else (other schools) is probably using these Blevins sound bites to do negative recruiting. I just don't see Tolliver listening to Deaning Dong very much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba
    I agree, its very stupid, and you can thank Dean "the dream" Blevins for mentioning it on TV, Radio, website, etc.

How the hell Stoops can stand that guy I will never understand.

Nevertheless, it should be a pretty easy rumor to stomp out by the bowl game.

I think Stoops has to stand him because of conttactual obligations Dean has with the Coaches Show.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

Tolliver had a ton of baggage... OU might've dropped him.

vCash

Maybe Aggie is right, but we are strong at wide out, either way it isn't a big loss.

vCash

Maybe Aggie is right, but we are strong at wide out, either way it isn't a big loss.
    So incredibly true. Major depth at WR. I'd say we need to focus on the following positions, in this order:

QB - obvious
    DE - losing 3 studs
    OL - still not enough depth
    LB - losing two, with very little proven talent to spare
    DB - by the end of next year we'll lose Wolfe, Williams, Carter, Walker
    RB - here's hoping that Demarco shows up next year.
    WR or DL - a lot of youth and a considerable amount of depth here.

vCash

It sounds to me like someone else (other schools) is probably using these Blevins sound bites to do negative recruiting. I just don't see Tolliver listening to Deaning Dong very much.
    Thats what I was getting at.

Now some media people are saying that Stoops is sending "feelers" out for the AZ Cardinals.

Thats not going to help the situation any I don't think.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BASSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mburton71
    So incredibly true. Major depth at WR. I'd say we need to focus on the following positions, in this order:

QB - obvious
    DE - losing 3 studs
    OL - still not enough depth
    LB - losing two, with very little proven talent to spareDB - by the end of next year we'll lose Wolfe, Williams, Carter, Walker
    RB - here's hoping that Demarco shows up next year.
    WR or DL - a lot of youth and a considerable amount of depth here.
    We shouldnt worry about OUr LB depth. BV proved that we never have a down year at that position. New guys always come in and step up

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BASSooner
    We shouldnt worry about OUr LB depth. BV proved that we never have a down year at that position. New guys always come in and step up

I'm tellin' you (I went out to Bishop and watched him play) Ryan Reynolds...look for him to D O M I N A T E.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

^^

Agreed. Think about how good our LB play has been of late. Then realize that Ryan Reynolds was considered a BIG loss to our LB corps for this year when he got hurt.

He's a fuggin' maniac.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    ^^

Agreed. Think about how good our LB play has been of late. Then realize that Ryan Reynolds was considered a BIG loss to our LB corps for this year when he got hurt.

He's a fuggin' maniac.
    That's a good pick for stardom, for sure.

vCash

Plus, DeMarrio will be, what, a senior, right? (he's playing with a broke hand right now) and Curtis Lofton looks to be a great steal from Kingfisher and is playing much better, and earlier, than I thought he would. Also, remember, we have another good backup in Lamont Robinson and a JUCO S T U D coing in with Reed. Box should red-shirt and be ready for action in '08.

vCash

When was the last year we didn't have good linebackers? We even had good ones during the Shnelly days. My personal favorite is the underrated (not by OU fans) Dante (not danta) Jones. Didin't he play for da Bears for a while?