Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

European vacation destinations...

I have enough miles now to buy 2 tix to Europe, so I'm probably going to go next year sometime. My wife doesn't want to go overseas, so I'll be going with my brother-in-law (also my holmeslice for life).

Anyways, where do you guys think would be a cool place to go and why? Also, when is a good time to go over there? I'm thinking of Western Europe, in particular Italy, Germany, England, or Netherlands, but I'm not sure.

vCash

Re: European vacation destinations...

I hear Slovenia is very nice as well as some of the Adriatic Coast. Why do the usual?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

pig in the poke winnar?

oink oink!!

at least it all worked out for the Griswalds
    “Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.”

vCash

None of it is usual for me, since I've never left this country (cept for my walk across the Rio Grande from El Paso to Juarez for lunch).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Prado man. the Prado.

http://museoprado.mcu.es/ihome.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Fugue's Avatar
    vCash

LUCERNE

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    I thought about Espana. I have a former co-worker that moved back to Madrid, so I would have a tour guide.

What about doing a full tour? I was originally wanting to do that but it seems like it would be a huge hassle and I would miss a LOT of stuff. It seems to me like it would be better to go to one place and really eat it up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i thought Barcelona was a great city. had a pretty swank time there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fugue
    LUCERNE
    That's another one I thought about. Switzerland seems like it would be an awesome place. I also thought about just going along some of the Mediterranean countries (Greece, Espana, Italy, etc).

I wish I was one of those people that "always wanted to go to" so & so.

I haven't ruled out staying stateside either... If I did that, I could have the wifey come with.

Conundrum...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

I've heard Prague is awesome.

I actually loved me some Paris, France. But I doubt Mrs. TU's cousin would let you stay at her place, and that made it great.

I have only been to London a couple of times in 25 years, and Paris once. I'd go back to either place in a heartbeat, but I'd try to go in the fall, or maybe early spring, definitely NOT the summer.
    I've also heard Scotland is the wee bomb, laddie, especially Edinburgh. I'd love to tool around the whole island of Britain.
    Wherever you go, DRINK THE LOCAL BEER.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

I still think Rome would be awesome... It doesn't get much more historic than Rome.

Some of my favorites were Prague, Scotland, Normandy, and Venice.

vCash

Oh yeah, ixnay of the ourtay.
    Pick a spot or 2 and soak it up.
    JMHO.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TUSooner
    I've heard Prague is awesome.

I actually loved me some Paris, France. But I doubt Mrs. TU's cousin would let you stay at her place, and that made it great.

I have only been to London a couple of times in 25 years, and Paris once. I'd go back to either place in a heartbeat, but I'd try to go in the fall, or maybe early spring, definitely NOT the summer.
    I've also heard Scotland is the wee bomb, laddie, especially Edinburgh. I'd love to tool around the whole island of Britain.
    Wherever you go, DRINK THE LOCAL BEER.
    I thought about Paris, but two dudes going to the city of love is borderline the gayest thing on earth, next to actual physical contact.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

ditto on the beer. i had a great time with my Dad in Scotland. i liked it a lot. people were really great, i thought.

but, as for my own travellin', i'm more a mediterranean kind of guy (southern France is pretty cool too). and i'd second the stay in one place/area idea. you won't see all the churches in Rome, as they say. if you find a place you like, stay there. if i found a little pension or something in a cool town that i liked i'd saty for a few days or pay through a week and get to know the place and hang out in bars (that's how you meet people)...when i was there.

and go where there's good food. it can be had at little corner shops/markets and bars for cheap....and not the touristy places with the linen tablecloths.

and if you have an "in" like you say in Madrid. i'd consider that....it can make all the difference. i stayed with some friends of a friend of mine in Antwerp, Belgium and they put me up, paid for everything....food, liquor, smokables....it was great. really cool guys.

vCash

Oh yeah, ixnay of the ourtay.
    Pick a spot or 2 and soak it up.
    JMHO.
    I have no idea what this means...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    ditto on the beer. i had a great time with my Dad in Scotland. i liked it a lot. people were really great, i thought.

but, as for my own travellin', i'm more a mediterranean kind of guy (southern France is pretty cool too). and i'd second the stay in one place/area idea. you won't see all the churches in Rome, as they say. if you find a place you like, stay there. if i found a little pension or something in a cool town that i liked i'd saty for a few days or pay through a week and get to know the place and hang out in bars (that's how you meet people)...when i was there.

and go where there's good food. it can be had at little corner shops/markets and bars for cheap....and not the touristy places with the linen tablecloths.
    I'm all about Mom and Pop dining, even here in the states. I don't get drunk, but I'll definitely have a brew wherever it is that I go. Scotland would be pretty cool.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tbl
    I have no idea what this means...
    You don't speak pig latin? (It was supposed to be "ix-nay on the our-tay.")
    In other words:
    Don't take a f***ing "zillion cities in a zillion and one days" tour. Go to one or 2 places and spend several days there so you can enjoy it, soak up the atmosphere, and learn something about it that you can't get from a book.

'Zat better?
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

You don't speak pig latin? (It was supposed to be "ix-nay on the our-tay.")
    In other words:
    Don't take a f***ing "zillion cities in a zillion and one days" tour. Go to one or 2 places and spend several days there so you can enjoy it, soak up the atmosphere, and learn something about it that you can't get from a book.

'Zat better?
    Much. The "of" instead of "on" and the lack of hyphens totally threw me, especially since we're talking about Europe and all the foreign languages. I thought maybe it was a beach you were recommending and to "soak it up" (the sun). I actually did a Wikipedia search on it and this is what I came up with.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson

and if you have an "in" like you say in Madrid. i'd consider that....it can make all the difference. i stayed with some friends of a friend of mine in Antwerp, Belgium and they put me up, paid for everything....food, liquor, smokables....it was great. really cool guys.
    smokables in Antwerp huh?