Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lance Armstrong @ NY Marathon

Lance Armstrong meets goal in marathon debut
    Brazilian claims N.Y. Marathon

Associated Press

Complete coverage of NYC Marathon NEW YORK -- The men's and women's champions long since had crossed the finish line when the Central Park crowds finally started to buzz. Lance Armstrong was coming.
    The seven-time Tour de France winner made an impressive marathon debut Sunday, barely breaking his goal of 3 hours thanks to a finishing kick reminiscent of his storied rides through the Alps. But it came at a price.

``That was without a doubt the hardest physical thing I have ever done,'' said Armstrong, who finished 856th in the New York City Marathon. ``It was really a gradual progression of fatigue and soreness.

``I didn't train enough for a marathon,'' he said, his right shin heavily taped as he shuffled into a post-race news conference. ``In 20 years of pro sports and endurance sports, even the worst days on the Tour, nothing felt like that or left me the way I feel now.''

Brazil's Marilson Gomes dos Santos finished strong to stun the favored Africans in the real race, ending their decade-long hold on the men's title. Latvia's Jelena Prokopcuka ran away from the women's field to win her second straight title, and wondered why no one challenged her.

It was another day of disappointment for American marathoners, who have not won here since 1982.

Armstrong crossed the finish line in 2 hours, 59 minutes and 36 seconds. The seven-time Tour de France champion struggled at times, but found the energy to meet the challenge. He was battling shin splints and had never before run longer than 16 miles.

His face tightened in pain, Armstrong virtually walked the last couple of steps. Then he slowed to a halt immediately after the finish line and bent to the ground. His green shirt was soaked with sweat.

``I think I bit off more than I could chew, I thought the marathon would be easier,'' he said. ``(My shins) started to hurt in the second half, especially the right one. I could barely walk up here, because the calves are completely knotted up.''

Gomes held off an all-star field of challengers to finish in 2:09:58 and become the first South American to win the race, man or woman.

In the final mile, as the race headed back into Central Park, Gomes surrendered about half the 30-second margin he had built over two Kenyans. He glanced over his shoulder several times, at one point doing a double-take when he saw a figure right behind him. But it was a woman runner, who had started a half-hour before the men.

``It wasn't a surprise, to win a marathon you have to have courage and today I had courage,'' Gomes said through an interpreter. ``I pushed the pace to get less people in the (lead) group. I kept pushing and they kept staying behind.''

It certainly was a surprise to defending champion Paul Tergat, who acknowledged later he didn't know much about Gomes. He and Kenyan compatriot Stephen Kiogora worked together to push Gomes at the end, but ran out of room. Kiogora was second in 2:10:06, while Tergat was third.

Kenyan men also took the fourth, fifth and seventh spots, with Olympic champion Stefano Baldini of Italy in sixth.

It was the first time in 10 years an African man hadn't won the race.

``Gomes, I did not know exactly who he was. When he decided to break, I think for some reason nobody wanted to move. We waited to see who else was going to move,'' Tergat said. ``The guy was motivated. To try to close at the last stages, it was too late.''

The top American was Peter Gilmore, who finished 10th in 2:13:13. U.S. runner Dathan Ritzenhein, making his marathon debut, was 11th in 2:14:01. Meb Keflezighi, who was third and second the last two years, finished 21st while battling a case of food poisoning.

The women's race became little more than a coronation after Prokopcuka made her bold move away from the lead pack, crushing the hopes of Deena Kastor, the world's top-ranked marathoner, who was favored to become the first American woman to win the race in nearly three decades.

Prokopcuka led nearly from start to finish on a perfect day for a marathon - cool, cloudy and little wind. Kastor finished sixth in 2:27:54. Prokopcuka became the first woman to win two straight titles since Tegla Loroupe of Kenya in 1994-95.

A record 38,368 runners started the race. Along with Armstrong, several celebrities finished the race, including mountain climber Ed Viesturs (3:15:25), former Olympic gold-medal gymnast Shannon Miller (4:17:47), model Kim Alexis (4:39:49) and Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (5:33:43).

The U.S. drought grew by another year. No American has won the New York City Marathon since Alberto Salazar in 1982, and no woman has won here since 1977. Until 1977, every New York race by won by an American man and woman.

``We will be competitive again,'' said Salazar, who helped pace Armstrong during the race, ``but it's unrealistic to think we will ever dominate marathoning again.''

vCash

Re: Lance Armstrong @ NY Marathon

Some dismal effort huh!! Never ran a marathon before and
    could barely break three hours...

What a wimp!
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    Einstein.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

Armstrong broke 3 hours in his first marathon. A hell of an achievement, if somewhat wimpy.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

The seven-time Tour de France winner made an impressive marathon debut Sunday, barely breaking his goal of 3 hours thanks to a finishing kick reminiscent of his storied rides through the Alps. But it came at a price.
    I swear I thought it said steroid at first.

So, running 26 miles is more difficult than pedaling a 10 speed???

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

Boones, remember when we used to ride bikes? I once did to TG&Y and got a paddle ball. Good times, good times.

Let the hype be OVER about the greatness of Lance and the Tour...obviously, a few barefoot Kenyans could pedal their way around France as well, too!
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 49r's Avatar
    vCash

2:09:58!!!

Holy cark! Some days I can't get out of bed that fast...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

And according to Lance...he didn't properly train for the marathon. His longest training run was 16 miles. Most training programs...at a bare minimum...suggest two 20+ mile runs.

Regardless...an impressive achievement. Wonder what he could do if he properly trained?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member XingTheRubicon's Avatar
    vCash

I wouldn't bag on anyone who ran a sub 3 hour marathon. That's true pain. I ran the 2000 Whiterock marathon in Dallas in just over 4 hours and thought I was at deaths door.

I didn't train half as much as I should have, either. My longest run in training was 10 miles. 26.2 was full fledged murder, the hill on mile 19 didn't help either.

....and now please direct your attention to the field and J. Clayton Feaver will lead us in a moment of prayer...

"......please protect these young men from injury and for one and all to exhibit good sportsmanship.....IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN

-J Clayton Feaver

Enjoy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Running = a lot more stress on the body than cycling, right? Maybe that's what it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

My boy bigredsooner has run the OKC Memorial every year since its inception and run the NY Marathon once, maybe three years ago. In talking to him about the training, I'm almost amazed that Armstrong was able to even finish without ever doing 20 during his training.

Apparently if you're a regular runner and pretty fit, anything under 20 is generally fairly doable. Maybe not cake, but it doesn't take a huge toll on you. Twenty is the universally accepted point where everything starts to go south. Your body stars feeding on itself, your nipples start bleeding, you can lose control of your bowels, all sorts of crazy stuff. My understanding is that not running at least a couple of 20 milers in preparation for a marathon is a recipe for disaster. Granted, Armstrong has freakish cardio ability, but running is quite a bit different from biking.

I do think, that while it's amazing that he ran sub-3, Armstrong probably would never be world-class in that sport. I really did get tired of all of the talk about him being the best athlete, ever, in any sport. He was obviously an amazingly dominant athlete in his own, specialized sport, and I doubt any marathoners would have switched right over to biking and been competetive with him. But Armstrong the best athlete ever? Nope.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 49r
    2:09:58!!!

Holy cark! Some days I can't get out of bed that fast...
    It was 2:59:58. 2:09 would be in the world-record realm, but it is still an unbelieveable feat.

Jed is exactly right on the 20 mile milestone. They say the marthon is made of two halves - the first 20 miles and the last 6.2. For me the mark was actually more like 18, I can train and be fine for long runs up to that point, pushing beyond is where it becomes really tough.

I believe Lance still holds some triathlon age-group records in the Dallas areas from when he was 16 y/o or so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride
    Running = a lot more stress on the body than cycling, right? Maybe that's what it is?
    Different kinds of stress. Certainly it is more stressful on the joints and probably overall body. However, there ain't one of those top NY marathoners that could finish the Tour de France.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Armstrong is superhuman. Breaking three hours in his first marathon after not having seriously trained for it is nothing short of amazing. If I am correct, his time was something like 20 minutes faster than the qualifying time for his age group for the Boston marathon. 856th place in the NY marathon, but out of more than 38,000 runners.

Does anyone remember those one mile run fitness tests they did in school where you had to train to run it in under seven minutes? Imagine breaking seven minutes for one mile, a decent clip, and then repeating the same pace for the next 25 miles without stopping. That is what Armstrong did in NYC. And he was about fifty minutes behind the winner.

I will humbly treasure my 5:09 effort, my first and possibly last full marathon effort. If I do another one, I have to get a training partner. I will stick to half marathons for a while, probably the Indy 500 next May where we get to run around the speedway. The Derby half in Louisville is getting old - we got to run on the infield of Churchill Downs this year.

Has anyone ever done the Indy 500 half or full marathon?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit
    It was 2:59:58. 2:09 would be in the world-record realm, but it is still an unbelieveable feat.

Jed is exactly right on the 20 mile milestone. They say the marthon is made of two halves - the first 20 miles and the last 6.2. For me the mark was actually more like 18, I can train and be fine for long runs up to that point, pushing beyond is where it becomes really tough.

I believe Lance still holds some triathlon age-group records in the Dallas areas from when he was 16 y/o or so.
    I was talking about the winning time.

Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press
    Gomes held off an all-star field of challengers to finish in 2:09:58 and become the first South American to win the race, man or woman.
    But it's a challenge some days for me to get out of bed in even 3 hours. Armstrong deserves major 'spek. Hell Puff Daddy trained like a dog for the '03 NYC marathon and I believe his time was well over 5 hours.

vCash

...and by "trained like a dog", I mean "supposedly gave up sex for over a week".

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

The point of Boones thread? Enough with Lance riding a bike and people acting like he was the greatest physical specimen of all time. He was riding a freaking bike...like Boones did to get a slurpie when he was 8.
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner
    Has anyone ever done the Indy 500 half or full marathon?
    My dad ran the Indy 1/2 once or twice. He said it was very crowded, and that the course wasn't very interesting except for the part where you get to run around the track. On the plus side, he came home with a pretty nice shirt and medal.

I think it is funny that Armstrong decided to run a marathon after his ex-wife started running them and writing about her experiences in Runners World. His actions seem to me to shout "hey, I can do it too." My husband did the same thing to me and it was pretty annoying.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

There was an article in one running magazine about Lance where different people predicted his time. I need to find it.

They compared him to one of those African dudes. African Dude' strides were "effortless", Armstrong's were "Powerful" or something. It was cool.

Maybe a couple of years and I'll do a marathon. That's the goal. I plan on doing the 1/2 at the Memorial this year. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro
    The point of Boones thread? Enough with Lance riding a bike and people acting like he was the greatest physical specimen of all time. He was riding a freaking bike...like Boones did to get a slurpie when he was 8.

Thanks Maestro, glad someone got it.

All the talk the past few years about how incredibly difficult it was to train and compete in the frenchies bike race, and how incredible of an athlete he was... I found it interesting that he admitted how difficult it was to run a marathon.

I can't run 26 miles and not even interested in trying, but if Lance wanted to play a little pick-up basketball game - I'm down!

BTW, Maestro - I've got a Pedro Guerrero baseball collectors coin from the bottom of one of those slurpees. Whats up?