Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Duke rape prosecutor hasn't even talked with the "victim"

OMG. I cannot believe this. Nifong must be the worst prosecutor in the history of jurisprudence. He's bound and determined to press this thing through and apparently doesn't even know why.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/27/D8L15CTO0.html

The district attorney prosecuting three Duke lacrosse players accused of raping a woman at a team party said during a court hearing Friday that he still hasn't interviewed the accuser about the facts of the case.

"I've had conversations with (the accuser) about how she's doing. I've had conversations with (the accuser) about her seeing her kids," Mike Nifong said. "I haven't talked with her about the facts of that night. ... We're not at that stage yet."

Nifong made the statement in response to a defense request for any statements the woman has made about the case.

"I understand the answer may not be the answer they want but it's the true answer. That's all I can give them," the prosecutor said after the hourlong hearing.

Defense lawyers said outside court that they found Nifong's statement surprising.

"One of the most interesting things to me of course is Mr. Nifong did admit that he in fact has basically never talked to this woman and has absolutely no idea what her story is, and yet he has chosen to continue to go forward with this case," defense lawyer Joseph Cheshire said.

Nifong said none of his assistants have discussed the case with the woman either and only have spoken with her to monitor her well-being. They have left the investigation of the case to police, he said.

Attorneys for indicted player Dave Evans wrote in a letter to Nifong earlier this month that they believed he had talked with the accuser based on a court motion in which Nifong stated the woman told him she had not taken the drug Ecstasy on the night of the March 13 team party for which she was hired to perform as a stripper.

In response to a claim by a lawyer for an unindicted player, Nifong said he called the accuser to ask her whether she had used the drug.

"She said, 'I've never taken Ecstasy,'" Nifong said. "That was the extent of the conversation because that's all I had to know."

Nifong said he met with the accuser and an investigator on April 11, but didn't discuss details of the case because the woman was "too traumatized." Nifong said the woman didn't make eye contact with him and often seemed on the verge of crying. Their discussion centered around how the case would develop, he said.

"She probably did not speak 15 words during the meeting," Nifong said.

Evans, 23, of Bethesda, Md., was charged in May with rape, kidnapping and sexual offense. A month earlier, a grand jury indicted players Reade Seligmann, 20, of Essex Fells, N.J., and Collin Finnerty, 20, of Garden City, N.Y., on the same charges. The accuser, a student at nearby North Carolina Central University, told police she was raped in a bathroom by three men at the off-campus party.

The players' lawyers have strongly proclaimed their innocence.
    If these people are guilty, I hope they get what's coming to them. However, it seems like most of the evidence thus far is in the defendants' favor. This is really sounding a lot like a prosecutor trying to make a name for himself.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Duke rape prosecutor hasn't even talked with the "victim"

What, a government prosecutor playing fast and loose with the facts...say it ain't so. Cept' this dirtbag ain't playing fast cause he has no case.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

I have no idea what to think of this. The instinct is to pile on the accused, but nothing's really come out about the case. I guess this is why.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

60 Minutes interviewed the other stripper that was there that night and she pretty much disputed everything that the victim said happened.

vCash

Well, if 60 minutes said it...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

And wasn't one of the alleged perps recorded on an ATM's camera at the time of the alleged rape?
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride
    Well, if 60 minutes said it...

60 Minutes said nothing.....the co-stripper did.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Beef's Avatar
    vCash

It's my duty to post in a thread that mentions strippers. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Him being a ****ing tard does. You don't smack down your mongoloid cousin when he spits taters across the table.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

They're not at the stage of discussing the case, but the DA has already made up his mind?

When the end justifies the means...
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

For some reason I thought the case against the players had been dismissed months ago for lack of evidence and/or an ironclad alibi.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInKCMO
    And wasn't one of the alleged perps recorded on an ATM's camera at the time of the alleged rape?
    Maybe not on camera... but a receipt and an eye-witness.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LegalCente...1858806&page=1

Aside: $400 for 2 hours? Bargain.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

I am that this is even still a news story.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr
    60 Minutes said nothing.....the co-stripper did.
    Well, if a stripper said so...

Brewmaster

vCash

March 13th party? and it is now almost November? That's almost 8 damn months. And most people have extremely ****ty memories. By which I mean, often if you ask someone to repeat to you EXACTLY what someone said to them even three days ago, they get parts wrong. 8 months later, you'll be lucky to get anything even resembling what actually happened.

I think his 8 month delay on interviewing the alleged victim is not just bad procedure, it's a chance for the "victim" to figure out some sort of story that might hold up under scrutiny. And if she hasn't by now, I'm going to go ahead and call bull**** on the whole thing.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Fugue's Avatar
    vCash

he's gettin' close to an ethics complaint.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stoop Dawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride
    Well, if a stripper said so...
    Isn't the accusser also a stripper?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Man, I was pretty mad after watching the 60 Minutes interview. One of the accused has his picture taken at an ATM at the time of the rape, miles away. The others say thay have similar evidence that they weren't there. The DA bypassed normal procedure to get an indictment and the police used questionable tactics to identify them. There's no way any case against them will stand up in court as far as I can see.

Of couse, the indictment will likely help the DA get re-elected...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

Did he get his start as an assistant DA in Cleveland County?
    one day

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fugue
    he's gettin' close to an ethics complaint.
    Lawyers have eithics?

(Phil, and other Sooner laywers on this board excluded of course )
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GrapevineSooner
    They're not at the stage of discussing the case, but the DA has already made up his mind?

When the end justifies the means...
    The DA (a true ********* and ****** rocket!) will drag this out until after the election and then declare he has no case or that it can't be tried or can't convict and drop the charges...

This has all been about getting re-elected.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.