Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerbabeinbama's Avatar
    vCash

Is there a doctor in the house? OUDoc? Achiro?

I've got this shooting pain in my shoulder blade - the pain radiates from my shoulder to my arm to my hand. (right side) I am also eperiencing numbness in my arm and hand - particularly between my thumb and index finger. I've had this for about two months now - got a cordisone shot and muscle relaxers, but hasn't helped. The numbness is getting worse and this morning i even dropped a coffee cup - couldn't feel it. First comes the pain, then the pins and needles sensation and then the numbness.

I've got an appointment with my neurologist on Thursday. Would he be the one to talk to about this? Thanks!!

vCash

Re: Is there a doctor in the house? OUDoc? Achiro?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerbabeinbama
    I've got this shooting pain in my shoulder blade - the pain radiates from my shoulder to my arm to my hand. (right side) I am also eperiencing numbness in my arm and hand - particularly between my thumb and index finger. I've had this for about two months now - got a cordisone shot and muscle relaxers, but hasn't helped. The numbness is getting worse and this morning i even dropped a coffee cup - couldn't feel it. First comes the pain, then the pins and needles sensation and then the numbness.

I've got an appointment with my neurologist on Thursday. Would he be the one to talk to about this? Thanks!!
    Yes, probably. I would have done an MRI on your neck first, but it most likely involves a pinched nerve, with the symptoms you described (as long as it's not cardiac-related, which it shouldn't be after 2 months). See the neurologist, he'll get an MRI and go from there. Take something for the pain until you see him/her.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

If you were a guy, I know what I would tell you to quit doing.
    Kittens around the world would appreciate the advice as well.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

I would start with x-rays first, also would start with a chiro over a neuro but I'm a little bias.
    You've already dealt with it for 2 months so another couple of weeks wouldn't be a big deal in the scheme of things(usually). Keep your neuro appt. figure out what he/she has to say but you could probably get into a chiro between now and then and at least find out what they have to say. A good one will let you know if they can'T help you and offer suggestions.
    In all seriousness, this is something I see very often. Most times I can help, usually within just a couple of visits. Most of the time I will know if I can help just with the history and exam.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

5. 10/16/2006, 04:10 PM

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

SMACKDOWN!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jaux
    MRI? X-Ray?
    Finally! The medical debate we've been looking for. I'm with OUDoc.
    Xray-$20-$200
    Find out structurally what you are dealing with, x-rays can tell us a bunch. You can usually tell from the disc spacing and bone structure what is going on. With her symptoms, we already know that if it's not structural, then it is gonna be disc or some other soft tissue variant(cyst, tumor), some of which would show on xray as well. If it's disc, the only questions I have are is the disc herniated or fragmented. If it's herniated the adjustments will often help. If its fragmented, the adjustments can help but it becomes more temporary relief. If I have a patient that has not responded in the time frame that I expect, usually a week or two depending on the issues then I would move to the next step. That would probably be an MRI. That couple of weeks will not compromise anyones health in the big picture.
    Depending on the findings of the MRI we may continue care, we may refer, or we may co-manage.

MRI is a great test. BUT...I always have to ask the question that based on the history, what are the differential diagnosis'? Based on the dd list, what findings would I have from that test(mri) that may alter what I would do for care. Most of the time, it wouldn't change what I do so I move on without it. I will not hesitate to order an MRI though if conditions warrant it.

Believe it or not the good old history and physical exam still give most answers, the x-rays, mri, etc are to fine tune those answers to give us t

vCash

I should add that I don't think that doing the MRI first is wrong. Just not the order that I personally would do thing most times.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro
    Xray-$20-$200
    Find out structurally what you are dealing with, x-rays can tell us a bunch. You can usually tell from the disc spacing and bone structure what is going on. With her symptoms, we already know that if it's not structural, then it is gonna be disc or some other soft tissue variant(cyst, tumor), some of which would show on xray as well. If it's disc, the only questions I have are is the disc herniated or fragmented. If it's herniated the adjustments will often help. If its fragmented, the adjustments can help but it becomes more temporary relief. If I have a patient that has not responded in the time frame that I expect, usually a week or two depending on the issues then I would move to the next step. That would probably be an MRI. That couple of weeks will not compromise anyones health in the big picture.
    Depending on the findings of the MRI we may continue care, we may refer, or we may co-manage.

MRI is a great test. BUT...I always have to ask the question that based on the history, what are the differential diagnosis'? Based on the dd list, what findings would I have from that test(mri) that may alter what I would do for care. Most of the time, it wouldn't change what I do so I move on without it. I will not hesitate to order an MRI though if conditions warrant it.

Believe it or not the good old history and physical exam still give most answers, the x-rays, mri, etc are to fine tune those answers to give us t
    did you say tumor?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

I like to play Dr.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BoogercountySooner's Avatar
    vCash

Possible bulging disc in your neck Babe. The MRI will tell you. No I'm not a doctor nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I had the same symptoms and that was my diagnosis.
    Booger Kills Deer and eatsem!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

did you say tumor?

He also said it could be a lot of other things Ms. Glass Is Half Full. Think pinched nerve.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

vCash

what can be done for it - other than chiropractic adjustments? Stop drinking coffee?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeetDigger
    He also said it could be a lot of other things Ms. Glass Is Half Full. Think pinched nerve.

sorry beet, paranoia is my middle name "Soonerparanoiababeinbama".
    I try to steer clear of doctors if at all possible. they skeer me!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

sorry beet, paranoia is my middle name "Soonerparanoiababeinbama".
    I try to steer clear of doctors if at all possible. they skeer me!!!

Understandable. I don't trust doctors either. Just look at the one's we have on the board. Would you trust them?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeetDigger
    Would you trust them?

Apparently, Yes.
    At least enough to fuel her paranoia.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

17. 10/16/2006, 07:54 PM

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Penguin's Avatar
    vCash

It's not a tu-ma!
    Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    you're weird

Brewmaster

vCash

what can be done for it - other than chiropractic adjustments? Stop drinking coffee?
    I seriously doubt coffee-drinking or lack thereof will affect it if it is a peenched nerve.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    I seriously doubt coffee-drinking or lack thereof will affect it if it is a peenched nerve.
    actually i was referring to my not being able to hold a coffee cup. if i don't drink coffee, then i won't have to worry about dropping my coffee cup.

Brewmaster

vCash

Ah. Gotcha.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Drink coffee with your left hand.

YWIA