Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Torre to be fired

Several news sources in NY are reporting that Lou Piniella will replace Joe Torre as Yankee manager; i guess it's easier to replace the manager than to get rid of all the has beens like Johnson, Sheffield, and the most overpaid player in baseball, AKA E-Rod; Torre deserves better than this from Steinbrenner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Torre to be fired

wonder if GDC still thinks he deserves manager of the year.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

That is the best news I have heard for a long time. Torre is the best asset that team has. I like Lou, but lets see how his style fits with that collection of talent.

I know that a lot of teams will want Torre, but I think that he will ultimately take a year and see if St. Louis opens up.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AllAboutThe'O''s Avatar
    There she is, and I hope she's living where I is.
    vCash

Ahhh, we're getting closer to that magical period Yankee-haters proudly call the "salad days," the late 1980s. And Sweet Lou was in the dugout during the beginning of the decline. It's deja vu all over again.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    wonder if GDC still thinks he deserves manager of the year.
    Heh.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I like 'delirious' Steinbrenner over 'I'll come to my senses and allow Cashman to assemble the team and Torre to manage it' Steinbrenner.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Damn you, Steinbrenner, for keeping Torre.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

vCash

I heard something interesting yesterday in regards to Torre. It was pointed out that for all of the regular season success the Yanks have had, Torre's more of a personality manager than a strategy manager.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

I hate it when Steinbrenner does the smart thing.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

The job Torre did managing the team this year with all the injuries certainly earns him consideration for manager of the year. I don't think he deserves to be crowned THE manager of the year, but he certainly did a good job.

And strategy has very little to do with the Yankees' post-season problems the last few years. It's a sudden inexplicable lack of offense in the post-season. They haven't been a formidable post-season team since giving up the series to Boston.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg
    The job Torre did managing the team this year with all the injuries certainly earns him consideration for manager of the year. I don't think he deserves to be crowned THE manager of the year, but he certainly did a good job.

And strategy has very little to do with the Yankees' post-season problems the last few years. It's a sudden inexplicable lack of offense in the post-season. They haven't been a formidable post-season team since giving up the series to Boston.
    General perception seems to be that the team felt Torre gave up when he started Jaret Wright instead of bringing Wang back for game 4. Moving A-Rod in the lineup twice when he was starting to hit decently certainly screwed with his fragile psyche.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

The problem is that baseball is changing. You need 1 or 2 great starters, 2 or 3 good starters. You need a lineup that can produce runs through lots of different ways.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

You heard it from someone in the ****storm, Torre is back back for ONE year to fill his contractual obligation, that is it. Then, he's gone.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    General perception seems to be that the team felt Torre gave up when he started Jaret Wright instead of bringing Wang back for game 4. Moving A-Rod in the lineup twice when he was starting to hit decently certainly screwed with his fragile psyche.
    Well I don't know much about what the perception seems to be, but I do know what I saw and that was a bunch of Yankees who couldn't string together any hits after Game 1.