Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry I have had it with COX cable

I have missed the Super Bowl and World Series in HD for the last couple years because they don't carry FOX HD. Now I get this email tonight that says as of October 1st they won't carry KOCO channel 5 in HD any longer either. This is total BS. Here is the email.

September 29, 2006

Dear Valued Cox Customer,

As you know, Cox strives to provide you with a wide variety of programming choices, including
    a growing number of high definition channels. Unfortunately, due to a decision by Hearst Argyle
    Television, the parent company of KOCO (the local ABC affiliate), we may no longer be allowed
    to carry the Channel 5 signal on high definition Channel 705. This will not affect continuing
    broadcast of the KOCO signal on Channel 8.

The 1992 Cable Act passed by Congress says that local stations must grant permission for a
    cable company to carry their local signals, including the regular over-the-air analog signal and
    the high definition one. This is normally not a problem, but Hearst Argyle recently insisted that
    Cox should begin paying millions of dollars to carry the HD signals for their various local affiliates
    in several cities, including KOCO in Oklahoma City. Keep in mind that this is the same signal
    carried for free over the airwaves and is free to Cox high definition customers.

The result of this situation would simply be unacceptable - higher costs to us and our subscribers.
    We have negotiated with Hearst Argyle for some months concerning this issue, but unless they
    extend their permission for us to carry the KOCO HD signal, that permission will expire at
    midnight on October 1 and Channel 705 will no longer be part of the Cox HD lineup.

We will continue negotiations with Hearst Argyle, to resolve this matter in the best interests of our
    subscribers. Thank you for choosing Cox; we’ll keep you updated on this issue, and on our plans
    to add new HD channels very soon.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I have had it with COX cable

It sounds to me like your beef should be with KOCO, not Cox... That or you could get an antenna for the HD programs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

HD isn't that big of a deal. I'd suggest being ****ed off at something worthwhile.

one day

All cox has to do is pay up. Tulsa has Fox HD but OKC doesn't because of reasons I don't know. You can't tell me that a few million dollars hurts Cox. All they would have to do is charge a couple dollars a month or less. Also my TV doesn't have a built in HD converter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    HD isn't that big of a deal. I'd suggest being ****ed off at something worthwhile.

HD is a big deal when you spend over $3000 on an HD tv and $130 a month to COX to get an analog signal. Not even a digital signal.

vCash

how much did you spend on the KY or AstraGlide?
    one day

I don't know your wife always buys it.
    Last edited by CRASH 02; 9/29/2006 at 09:13 PM.

vCash

my hand or c_p's wife? those are the only two wimmin in my life right now.

I do hop that you either burn something down or they fix your HD problem.
    one day

That's to bad man.

I hope they fix it too.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

I'd feel more sympathy for Cox or any other cable company if they didn't charge people for an "HD package" with a bunch of worthless-*** channels just so people can get the movie channels (which they already pay for) in HD and the local stuff in HD.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stoop Dawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CRASH 02
    Keep in mind that this is the same signal
    carried for free over the airwaves and is free to Cox high definition customers.
    So the signal carried for free over the airwaves, but Cox requires us to pay for "HD Service" on our monthly bill?

All cox has to do is pay up.
    Well, you have to admit, getting something for free then turning around and selling it to others is a much better deal - for Cox, that is.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stoop Dawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    I'd feel more sympathy for Cox
    Don't ever do this. Ever.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

I've gotta join the HD crowd at some point . . .

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

HD is a big deal when you spend over $3000 on an HD tv and $130 a month to COX to get an analog signal. Not even a digital signal.
    Why did you spend $3,000 on a TV that didn't have an internal HD tuner?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

That's a good question, really. My last TV didn't have an internal tuner, though. A lot of the older ones didn't.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Quote Originally Posted by tbl
    Why did you spend $3,000 on a TV that didn't have an internal HD tuner?

Because I bought it almost 5 years ago. The one with the tuner cost $1500 more.

vCash

I have DTV...

I heard Cox is going to have the LOGO Channel in HD.

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

I was sorta thinking about switching back from dish to cox for a little while so I could get a dvr. I won't unless they have koco HD and until they have KOKH HD.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SteelPanz's Avatar
    vCash

Now is this problem in the Tulsa area? COX-ucker in OKC will pretty much have us down to just a few channels.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

you can pick up an OTA HD tuner for under $100. Just plug in you antenna.

the Pic quality is 10000 times better than dish, DTV, cox, cable, etc...