SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

yo homey, some pics for ya

went to st helens this weekend because the oldest was studying volcanoes. ran into a veritable plethora of sooner fans while i was there. good times, good times.

these pictures are huge so i'm not going to hot link them. one note is that while my camera has a pretty good optical zoom, its digital zoom is the suck on quality.

view from the weyerhauser forest center

the mudflow zoomed down this canyon and blocked a ton of ships in the columbia river. it actually buried this a frame 20 miles away

as you walk up to the johnston observatory, there are tons of these trees that were snapped down after the eruption. close up shot of one of the trees protected by the lee of the hill. this tree is 5 miles away and over 25 years old.

overall views of the mountain

one
    two
    three

eruption trail - other trails lead pretty close to it. named after harry truman, the guy who owned the lodge at spirit lake

pyroclastic flow the big holes are from the glaciers that were tossed about a mile and then melted.

lava dome

towards johnston ridge

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Re: yo homey, some pics for ya

I wish we would have had one more day. I wanted to go to St Helens. Looks cool.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Re: yo homey, some pics for ya

Vesuvius and Pompeii are pretty cool, and there's some nice maar volcanoes outside El Paso.