Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Liberals in an uproar over 9/11 TV movie

Apparently this film is putting some of the blame on the Clinton administration, and the liberals are up at arms. I'm of the opinion that both administrations share the responisibilty for what happened...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060907/...nton_officials

Clinton officials protest 9/11 TV series

By DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 36 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A "terribly wrong" miniseries about events leading to the Sept. 11 attacks blame President Clinton's policies, former Clinton administration officials said in letters demanding that ABC correct it or not air it.

But in a statement released Thursday afternoon in apparent response to the growing uproar, ABC said, "No one has seen the final version of the film, because the editing process is not yet complete, so criticisms of film specifics are premature and irresponsible."

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, former National Security Adviser Sandy Berger, Clinton Foundation head Bruce Lindsey and Clinton adviser Douglas Band wrote in the past week to Robert Iger, CEO of ABC's parent The Walt Disney Co., to express concern over "The Path to 9/11."

The two-part miniseries, scheduled to be broadcast on Sunday and Monday, is drawn from interviews and documents including the report of the Sept. 11 commission. ABC has described it as a "dramatization" as opposed to a documentary.

"For dramatic and narrative purposes, the movie contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue, and time compression," ABC said in its statement. "We hope viewers will watch the entire broadcast of the finished film before forming an opinion about it."

The letter writers said the miniseries contained factual errors, and that their requests to see it had gone unanswered.

"By ABC's own standard, ABC has gotten it terribly wrong," Lindsey and Band said in their letter.

"The content of this drama is factually and incontrovertibly inaccurate and ABC has a duty to fully correct all errors or pull the drama entirely. It is unconscionable to mislead the American public about one of the most horrendous tragedies our country has ever known."

The letters pointed out examples of scenes they had been told were in the miniseries, but which they said never happened. Albright objected to a scene that she was told showed her insisting on warning the Pakistani government before an airstrike on Afghanistan, and that she was the one who made the warning.

"The scene as explained to me is false and defamatory," she said.

Berger objected to a scene that he was told showed him refusing to authorize an attack on Osama bin Laden despite the request from CIA officials. "The fabrication of this scene (of such apparent magnitude) cannot be justified under any reasonable definition of dramatic license," he wrote.

Lindsey and Band objected to advertisements for the miniseries, which they said suggested that Clinton wasn't paying enough attention to the threat of terrorism.

"While ABC is promoting "The Path to 9/11" as a dramatization of historical fact, in truth it is a fictitious rewriting of history that will be misinterpreted by millions of Americans," they said. "Given your stated obligation to 'get it right,' we urge you to do so by not airing this drama until the egregious factual errors are corrected, an endeavor we could easily assist you with given the opportunity to view the film."

The five-hour miniseries is set to run without commercial interruption. Director David Cunningham said it was a massive undertaking, with close to 250 speaking parts, more than 300 sets, and a budget of $40 million. Cunningham has said he shot 550 hours of film. The cast includes Harvey Keitel, Patricia Heaton and Donnie Wahlberg.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Liberals in an uproar over 9/11 TV movie

Stupd dims.

vCash

So the Liberals, are ****ed at the media? I thought they were one and the same?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Administrator
    vCash

Personally, I don't blame Clinton or Bush. I blame a bunch of ragheaded mother****ers from the Middle East. But hey, that's just me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Good point...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Personally, I don't blame Clinton or Bush. I blame a bunch of ragheaded mother****ers from the Middle East. But hey, that's just me.
    This is America, Dean. We don't blame who did it. We blame who is responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Not according to many LEADING academics and scientists. Bush did it, and they have proof!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Loose Change tells me otherwise.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Still, all the uproar about this makes you wonder why Sandy Berger was trying to steal documents by hiding them in his pants.

Oh well, I'll just blame Bush. Its easier on the ol grey matter.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

I, broke the dam.
    one day

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Hamhock's Avatar
    vCash

the dam what?
    heh.

vCash

*Insert every liberal argument in defense of a movie that convervatives get upset over here*

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    I, broke the dam.
    No, I broke the dam.
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

The cast includes Harvey Keitel, Patricia Heaton and Donnie Wahlberg.

No more Hollywood roles for these guys.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

vCash

Yeah, but you lot get upset over homos and bare titties. This is more like, "We'll make a 'factual' representation of the events based on half of the 9/11 Commission's findings."
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bri
    Yeah, but you lot get upset over homos and bare titties. This is more like, "We'll make a 'factual' representation of the events based on half of the 9/11 Commission's findings."
    The show slams the Bush administration for its failings in the same way it slams the Clinton administration. Obviously, that isn't mentioned in the story as it doesn't fit the accusation of being conservatively biased.

vCash

So, you're saying that the story about the conservative bias of the miniseries has a liberal bias?

Yeah, I f*ckin' HATE politics.
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bri
    So, you're saying that the story about the conservative bias of the miniseries has a liberal bias?

Yeah, I f*ckin' HATE politics.
    No, I'm saying that when conservatives make a charge against liberal bias in a movie their defenders are quick to bash conservatives as reactionary and make suggest that it's only a movie.

I'm saying there isn't much of a bias if there's one at all. I think the mini-series tries to fairly assess each administration's failures as outlined by the 9/11 Commission's Report.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Where were these same people when fahrenheit 911 came out?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

The idiots.

Bush blew the thing up with a little red button in his office. Don't let anybody else tell you otherwise.