Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Penguin's Avatar
    vCash

Arrow So if that co-pilot pulls through

He's going to be facing some serious questions.

Wrong runway. Holy cow.

Most people perished in the fire. Good Lord. What a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    you're weird

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

Re: So if that co-pilot pulls through

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin
    Most people perished in the fire. Good Lord. What a nightmare.
    no doubt - what a horrible way to go.

vCash

I don't understand how somebody on the plane or in the control tower couldn't have caught that before it was too late.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

How many times have you been on a plane where the pilot says you're cleared for take off while you're still on the taxiway. the next thing you know you're turning a corner and accelerating.

I'd imagine that the runways were set up so that once he was given clearance he could have pulled onto either runway. probably happened so fast the tower didn't have time recognize the situation.
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 bigdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

i musta missed somethin, what the hell happened?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

"Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

SoonerFans.com Elite Member mrowl's Avatar
    vCash

if the runways and taxiways aren't labeled well, and the crew is not familiar with the airport, it could happen.

vCash

you're weird

vCash

so you have to pass runway 26 to get to runway 22.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by afs
    How many times have you been on a plane where the pilot says you're cleared for take off while you're still on the taxiway. the next thing you know you're turning a corner and accelerating.

I'd imagine that the runways were set up so that once he was given clearance he could have pulled onto either runway. probably happened so fast the tower didn't have time recognize the situation.
    Looking at the map, that's probably what happened. I could imagine them taxiing from the terminal and taking the first left.

I think it was reporter on MSNBC that said that the short runway's lights are usually turned off, but for some reason they were on at the time of the accident.
    you're weird

vCash

Looking at the map, that's probably what happened. I could imagine them taxiing from the terminal and taking the first left.

I think it was reporter on MSNBC that said that the short runway's lights are usually turned off, but for some reason they were on at the time of the accident.
    tragic if that's the case. the lights are no excuse as every plane has to have the appropriate charts and plates for the airports they're flying to.

party pooper
    vCash

thats what I was thinking too. God, I can't imagine what the passengers were thinking when the runway started getting a little too bumpy.

I feel for those families.

vCash

I know next to nothing about this sort of thing except for briefly living with a licensed pilot, but why aren't they some sort of electronic monitoring systems that could/would immediately alert the crew that they are on the wrong runaway or other similar situations.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Couldn't they just glance at a compass to make sure they're on the right runway?

I guess that isn't on the pre-takeoff checklist.
    you're weird

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    I know next to nothing about this sort of thing except for briefly living with a licensed pilot, but why aren't they some sort of electronic monitoring systems that could/would immediately alert the crew that they are on the wrong runaway or other similar situations.
    Just a hunch, but I wonder if this may make the FAA create a rule stating that no plane may be given clearance for takeoff until they are positioned for takeoff on the runway.

Granted, I don't know **** about the way air travel works, but it wouldn't surprise me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Ummm, excuse me, but the clowns in the tower who give permission to start engines, give taxi clearance and instructions and permission to take an active runway for take-off are supposed to be visually monitoring the entire process from start to take-off and are culpable in this too IMHO. Those guys must have been smoking weed or something.

It will be interesting to hear the tower tapes about precisely what instructions that crew was given.

Granted, the guy in the left seat is ultimately responsible and if he was confused about WTF he was told he should have stopped and asked for clarification or even a flippin' "follow me" truck if necessary. But, sounds like there may be lots of blame to go around just based on the facts as i understand them at this preliminary stage.

I've learned one thing about aircraft crashes. Never, ever take what the goobers on TV say about what might have happened, especially in the early stages of a crash investigation.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    Ummm, excuse me, but the clowns in the tower who give permission to start engines, give taxi clearance and instructions and permission to take an active runway for take-off are supposed to be visually monitoring the entire process from start to take-off and are culpable in this too IMHO. Those guys must have been smoking weed or something.

It will be interesting to hear the tower tapes about precisely what instructions that crew was given.

Granted, the guy in the left seat is ultimately responsible and if he was confused about WTF he was told he should have stopped and asked for clarification or even a flippin' "follow me" truck if necessary. But, sounds like there may be lots of blame to go around just based on the facts as i understand them at this preliminary stage.

I've learned one thing about aircraft crashes. Never, ever take what the goobers on TV say about what might have happened, especially in the early stages of a crash investigation.
    I haven't heard what the goobers on TV are saying cause, well, I try not to watch much TV....Im just going off my gut and what I've read so far....which isn't a whole lot. I did think that the tower was responsible for monitoring the whole process, but given how little I know about air travel regulations, I thought "maybe I was wrong" when I didn't see anything written asking WTF were the air traffic controllers doing?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    Just a hunch, but I wonder if this may make the FAA create a rule stating that no plane may be given clearance for takeoff until they are positioned for takeoff on the runway.
    No. Such safeguards are already in place unless someone is high.

before being cleared on to the runway, Tower either says, "cleared for takeoff" and ALWAYS cites the runway (example: "Commair 169 cleared for takeoff runway 18 left" ) or "Commair 169 taxi into position and hold rwy 18 left."

Not to mention the freakin' big yellow signs at the runway threshold telling you which runway it is and the 50 foot tall numbers painted at the approach and departure ends the crew should be able to read night or day, .

They don't just say, "hey you, cleared for take-off wherever you are on whatever runway you happen to be on"
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    I haven't heard what the goobers on TV are saying cause, well, I try not to watch much TV....Im just going off my gut and what I've read so far....which isn't a whole lot. I did think that the tower was responsible for monitoring the whole process, but given how little I know about air travel regulations, I thought "maybe I was wrong" when I didn't see anything written asking WTF were the air traffic controllers doing?
    They must have been out sick the day they covered that area in FAA ATC skool in OKC.

vCash

so who's to blame if the tower said the correct runway on the clearance command but the pilot/co-pilot departed from the incorrect runway? especially if corrective radio calls were not made from the tower after the RJ started to roll.

will the surviving co-pilot be the scape goat in this all?