Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Question Outside Opinions Wanted

Some of you may have heard by now, others may not have due to the latest with Bomar. The state of South Carolina (before you click back please read for one moment) is in the middle of a HUGE battle right now. At this moment the state can no longer hold pre or post season NCAA Basketball or Track & Field events, because the Black Coaches Accosiation with the NAACP have complained about the Confederate Flag being flown above the state house. In the recent past the flag has been taken off the top of the state house (where some say it was actually harder to see), and placed on display out front of the state house (which is what they wanted at the time). They changed their mind and said they wanted it off of state property. The state has declined to this point which is why the ban of those events. Now they are going back to the NCAA and asking them to reconsider our ban and making it cover Football and Baseball also.

The Confederate Flag is a harritage symbol. I know a bad organization uses it as their's, but that is not the meaning of the flag, nor is it how the flag is being shown at the state house. My question after all this blabber is just plan and simple. What would ya'll do if you were in South Carolina's shoes. Should we tuck our tails between our legs and let it go and take the flag down, or should we fight for it and let them know we're just as proud of our up bringings as they are theirs and that everything about that flag isn't racist.

As much as I love my sports there is a certain line you don't cross with sports, and that's politics. PETA is trying to do that, and the NAACP also tries to do that. I'm going to stop right there because I'm tired and I know I'm boring some of you. I'm sure some will bash me, but I'm really just curious how people not only outside of our state, but half way across America may feel.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Outside Opinions Wanted

You dumbass crackers need to take the flag down. It's not 'tucking your tails between your legs'; it's joining modern times and doing the right thing.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

vCash

I think you guys should succeed and fire on Fort Sumter. Maybe you could get a new heritage flag out of the deal.

In all, seriousness the Confederate Flag is always going to have a racist/redneck connotation. You call yell heritage all you want but it isn't going to change people's perception of it. If you okay with the majority of the population associating racism and redneck stereotypes with the your State, then by all means keep it. You likely aren't going to change people's perception of the flag, just like people are never going to think of Nebraska as anything besides a backwards farm state, no matter what other stuff we have here.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Go with God, Amigo.

I wisht I knew more Spanish.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Bring it down, yes it's a heritage issue but its also about joining the rest of the country in the 21st century.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

a flag is a flag, keep it. The flag wasn't racist it was just a representation of your state.

People look for things to be offended over.

Can a white coach be in the black coaches association? If not isn't that discrimination. I think it's stupid.

who would want to go to South Carolina for a NCAA Tournement?

I say its a no-issue.
    I am Jack's smirking revenge.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I think the Confederate flag can be compared to the Swastika. Before you have a **** fit, read this:
    The motifs seems to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia. The swastika is used in religious and civil ceremonies in India. Most Indian temples, entrance of houses, weddings, festivals and celebrations are decorated with swastikas. The symbol was introduced to Southeast Asia by Hindu kings and remains an integral part of Balinese Hinduism to this day, and it is a common sight in Indonesia. The symbol has an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures. It was also adopted independently by several Native American cultures.

In the Western world, the symbol experienced a resurgence following the archaeological work in the late nineteenth century of Heinrich Schliemann, who discovered the symbol in the site of ancient Troy and associated it with the ancient migrations of Proto-Indo-Europeans ("Aryan" people). He connected it with similar shapes found on ancient pots in Germany, and theorised that the swastika was a "significant religious symbol of our remote ancestors," linking ancient German, Greek and Vedic culture.[1] [2] By the early 20th century it was widely used worldwide and was regarded as a symbol of good luck and auspiciousness.

The work of Schliemann soon became intertwined with the völkisch movements, for which the swastika was a symbol of "Aryan" identity, a concept that came to be equated by theorists like Alfred Rosenberg with a Nordic master race originating in northern Europe. Since its adoption by the Nazi Party of Adolf Hitler, the swastika has been associated with fascism, racism (white supremacy), World War II, and the Holocaust in much of the West. The swastika remains a core symbol of Neo-Nazi groups, and is also regularly used by activist groups to signify the supposed Nazi-like behaviour of organizations and individuals they oppose.
    The swastika was an innocent good luck charm that was co-opted as a symbol of hate by a hate-filled people.

While to some degree I'm sypathetic to the South's cause in the Civil War, mainly the states' rights to self determination, that war ultimately became about slavery, which any reasonable person in the 21st Century will admit was a hideous injustice. You can make the case that the North made it about slavery in a cynical, successful attempt to turn the war in its favor.

But the facts of the matter remain; the South was on the wrong side of the slavery issue. When you add to that the fact that white supremicist groups have claimed the confederate battle flag (there were multiple confederate flags, you know) as a symbol of their brand of hatred, I think that it's time for normal, non-hating people to give up on the idea of that flag being nothing more than a symbol of Southern heritage. It has become much more.

Should the flag be ignored? Nope, it's part of the South's, and America's history, much as the Union Jack and the flags of Spain and France are. But it belongs in a museum, not flown proudly on the roof or lawn of a government institution. Sorry, it has too much baggage.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cack5
    The Confederate Flag is a harritage symbol.
    So is a swastika. The Civil War was about "states' rights" all right--the "right" to have have slavery. Not all heritage is good. Strom Thurmond is gone, and it's time to move on.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

Cack, I support you 200%.

I'm a former national officer in the Children of the Confederacy and my suggestion to you, if you want to get involved, is contact your local chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt
    So is a swastika. The Civil War was about "states' rights" all right--the "right" to have have slavery. Not all heritage is good. Strom Thurmond is gone, and it's time to move on.
    Well, that distills it down a bit too much. The North's hands were hardly clean over the slavery issue.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Slavery was the primary symptom of a much larger problem having to due with States' Rights. Saying that the War of Northern Aggression was about slavery is about like saying WWI was all about the assasination of Ferdinand.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Don't F with my harritage.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KaiserSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I want to say something nasty, but I guess I won't.

Most of what's been said, I agree with: take the damn thing down, put it in a museum.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KaiserSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor
    the War of Northern Aggression
    Oh good God.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSooner
    Oh good God.

Watch it, Yankee.

Harritage baby. Harritage.

vCash

slavery became an issue after the war had already begun.

And just about every race has at some time been in slavery.

vCash

It's completely redneck. Take it down.

And cut your mullet too, hillbilly.

vCash

JK,
    How so? Really, boil it down for me. How was that comparison the least bit "ignorant."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    And cut your mullet too, hillbilly.
    only when they pry it off my cold dead head.