Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Will it be Halzle or PT?

I keep hearing people talk about who will replace Bomar like its going to be PT. Anyone know if PT has been working out as a QB? Halzle a lock to start?

Any opinions or insights?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Will it be Halzle or PT?

I dunno, but I'd just be surprised if they bring PT back into the picture. He might get some reps as a backup, but I think they'll go with Halzle unless he just bumbles through fall practice.

We're coming up on one year since Thompson took any significant snaps as a quarterback and he was really emerging as one of our top wide receivers. I'm thinking that the coaches are looking at moving PT back as a last resort. Not that I don't think he'd do well, but I think they'll work with the other 3 as much as they can and leave PT at WR as long as they can before bringing him back into the mix at QB.

I dunno. We'll find out soon enough.

The players and coaches have apparently known about this for 4 or 5 months. I would assume from this that either Thompson or Halzle has been gearing up to be the starter. I understand that kevin Wilson really liked Thompson as the starter last year so that may be a very viable option.
    ...Oh, you were finished? Well then, allow me to retort...
    Jules
    www.MyTulsaHouse.com

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 westcoast_sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Halzle supposedly had a great spring, just sucked in the Red White game. I think if I was coach Stoops, I'd open up the competition between him and Thompson, and see who comes out on top. PT has to be a little rusty at QB, but should be able to pick things up quickly, if that's the decision.

We do have the best defense in the country, and that fact alone should keep us in some games. I guess it could be worse.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonersam's Avatar
    vCash

I think paul will get the start goiing into game #1
    Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Halzle looked like crap all throught the spring. His favorite reciever was DJ Wolfe.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

I wouldn't give Thompson the initial start only to yank it from him again unless the staff is absolutely sure that they're going to go with Thompson. I just can't see them naming him the starter for the 2nd time only to pull him again for the 2nd tme.

I think Thompson starts right now.

OU is still the favorite in the B12 S. The only difference now is that UT and OU are on the same plane in terms of QB experience. Those jokers that think this is going to cause a dramatic shakeup in the B12 S are idiots. A&M is still A&M and Tech is still Tech.

vCash

I think he gets handed the keys and Stoops lives and dies by Thompson. Halzle will get some action in blowouts and whatnot but Thompson will do as good as Bomar would have.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

This makes a few of those non-conference games a little tougher than they were going to be. But, i still don't fear TTech or A&M. I am more leary of Baylor than Aggie or Dust Aggie.

vCash

I think Thompson starts too and I think Wilson's offense suits him a lot better.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron
    Halzle looked like crap all throught the spring. His favorite reciever was DJ Wolfe.
    Well that's news to Bob Stoops. From two different stories:

"Joey looked really good, and so did Rhett," Stoops said. "For only being here for four practices, Joey was awesome with the way he handled it all. To be able to handle it mentally that way shows that he likes those situations."
    Junior college transfer quarterback Joey Halzle continued to impress, especially during the scrimmage.

"Joey is doing well," Stoops said. "I don't know that he's had a bad day. He has a great feel for the game and good poise."
    But if it's true that his favorite receiver was DJ, then let's just move him back to offense.

vCash

He was being nice. Notice his reference to the bad day. That question could have been asked on any number of days. Joey might end up pretty good but Paul is the best option we have right now.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerLake
    OU is still the favorite in the B12 S. The only difference now is that UT and OU are on the same plane in terms of QB experience. Those jokers that think this is going to cause a dramatic shakeup in the B12 S are idiots. A&M is still A&M and Tech is still Tech.
    did you miss the start of last season?

will you still have confidence when we're facing a 3rd and 8? I'm hating this and hope for the best but this is a major step backwards.

vCash

I think this stinks for PT if they push him into that role. The guy finally got it in his head to focus on WR and has the ability to do "something" at OU. I dont know, it just seems like he would be getting a sorry deal. I know it happens a lot but thats just how I feel.

Unless he leads OU to great things...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Maybe if Thompson doesn't have people breathing down his neck he could have a break out year at QB- I remember his red white game in 03 I think he threw for 350+ yards on a pretty damn good defense... You have to get Paul Thompson back in the mix now at QB- regardless of if he starts in my opinion.

This is pretty damn dissapointing- Will hope for the best- Hazel may pick it up a bit as well with time.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Desert Sapper's Avatar
    Leavenworth...in a metaphorical prison...
    vCash

I wonder what we were all saying when that half-rate juco from South Dakota came in? "...how on earth? What happened to Patrick Fletcher?" I wonder what #14's first spring looked like? Anybody remember? And was our defense this good in 1999?
    PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY
    !بومر سونر

Administrator
    vCash

Halzle will be the starter. Bank on it. I met his parents at one of our tailgates last year. Salt. Of. The. Earth. Everything happens for a reason, and my money is on Joey leading us to the promised land - ala Heupel. No science. No research. Just a gut hunch. Yes, you heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Sapper
    I wonder what we were all saying when that half-rate juco from South Dakota came in? "...how on earth? What happened to Patrick Fletcher?" I wonder what #14's first spring looked like? Anybody remember? And was our defense this good in 1999?
    Our defense wasn't this good in 2000. And we didn't have the talent on WR or RB we have now. The OLine then didn't have the athletes but it was much more experienced with Jay Smith, Stockar McDougal, Matt O'Neal.