Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: IF the Sonics move to OKC they should

sounds good

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed
    Well then, you'll be pleased to know that not one penny of your tax dollars went to support the Hornets or the NBA last season. In fact, the city of OKC and the state of Oklahoma will actually see a CASH PROFIT paid to them, not in sales tax revenue, but in local revenue (ticket sales, advertising, etc.) sharing. The city, state and private partners are being reimbursed for all expenses they incurred when bringing the Hornets here, and then all proceeds beyond that are split between those parties and the team itself. As a taxpayer, the Hornets actually made you money last year.

Linky

I'm glad, but it still wasn't right to put up our tax dollars as a hedge to guarantee they didn't lose their asses.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Well, I disagree. Doing so allowed Oklahoma City to move into the rare air of cities with major league teams.

During the season, we saw incredibly good press from outlets such as the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the Philadelphia Enquirer, The Sacremento Bee and others. We were mentioned in the same breath with cities like New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Philly, Chicago and others innumerable times on ESPN and national news outlets.

We are now on the radar of people nationwide who probably couldn't have even found OKC on a map before this. Many of these people are business decision makers who might now take a harder look at OKC when expanding, moving or starting a business, based on the positive things they've now heard about our business climate, thanks to the NBA.

Meanwhile, we were actually making a profit, unlike most if not all of the other cities in the NBA.

Seems like a pretty good deal for a worst-case scenario $3 million risk (worst case meaning OKC would have had to underperform BELOW NOLA, which would have been very unlikely) to the city of OKC.

You literally can't buy that type of pub, except that we did just that. Except, in the end, they actually paid us.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Well, I disagree. Doing so allowed Oklahoma City to move into the rare air of cities with major league teams.
    My point is that basically OKC was the only beneficiary of this whole thing, and yet the entire state was on the hook financially. Any longterm NBA franchise is doomed.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    My point is that basically OKC was the only beneficiary of this whole thing, and yet the entire state was on the hook financially. Any longterm NBA franchise is doomed.
    So, the state of Oklahoma doesn't benefit financially when OKC achieves major-league status and sees increased economic development based on said status? The city of Oklahoma City is, frankly, THE economic engine that drives this state.

During the 1950s there was a saying: "as goes General Motors, so goes the nation," meaning the country's fortunes were intrinsically tied to those of what at the time was its largest corporation. I believe that Oklahoma's well-being is perhaps even more dependant upon the economic success of its largest city.

As for the idea that any longterm NBA franchise in OKC is doomed, I say based on what evidence? Heck, a year ago most people didn't believe OKC could even turn out half a house for an NBA game. All we did was see top 10 attendance, top five corporate sponsorship levels, top five group sales...

Granted, at some point the honeymoon will probably wane, but even if attendance and coporate support fell into the bottom third of the league, it's still in the league. Frankly, that's unlikely because a lot of the cities we're competing against have multiple franchises bidding for sports fans' dollars. Additionally, NONE of them have the ability to provide the rent deal we do without going into the red.

If you don't like the NBA being here because you just don't like the league, that's OK. If you resent that it competes with OU basketball, I feel your pain as an OU basketball ticketholder. I'll point out that OU officials claimed to be unconcerned about this.

But if you think the NBA is bad for OKC because OKC can't play at that level, I strongly, vehemently disagree. I ask you again, based on what evidence? The facts on this one, at least to this point, are strongly in my favor.
    Well, crap.

vCash

If you don't like the NBA being here because you just don't like the league, that's OK. If you resent that it competes with OU basketball, I feel your pain as an OU basketball ticketholder. I'll point out that OU officials claimed to be unconcerned about this.

But if you think the NBA is bad for OKC because OKC can't play at that level, I strongly, vehemently disagree. I ask you again, based on what evidence? The facts on this one, at least to this point, are strongly in my favor.
    All of the above

I just don't think the support is going to be there when the new wears off and the ticket prices are normal for the NBA. This would also be true in Tulsa, IMO.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Cool. We'll just see what transpires. In case you couldn't tell, I totally disagree with your take.

It'll be a few years before we know one way or the other. Like I've said in this and other threads, there's almost no chance the NBA is here next year, and each year after there's a progressively better chance. And, again like I've stated, we're very likely to have a team in '08-'09. So let's give it some time to work itself out, and then to see if the honeymoon wears off after what, 2-3 years?

So, providing we have a team in '08-'09, let's say you and I meet back here in 2011. We'll see what the status is at that point. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you dinner at Mickey Mantles. If you're wrong, you have to wear whorn gear to work for one week.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Cool. We'll just see what transpires. In case you couldn't tell, I totally disagree with your take.

It'll be a few years before we know one way or the other. Like I've said in this and other threads, there's almost no chance the NBA is here next year, and each year after there's a progressively better chance. And, again like I've stated, we're very likely to have a team in '08-'09. So let's give it some time to work itself out, and then to see if the honeymoon wears off after what, 2-3 years?

So, providing we have a team in '08-'09, let's say you and I meet back here in 2011. We'll see what the status is at that point. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you dinner at Mickey Mantles. If you're wrong, you have to wear whorn gear to work for one week.
    Will do.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

GDC'S GONNA WEAR WHORN GEAR!!!
    Well, crap.

vCash

GDC'S GONNA WEAR WHORN GEAR!!!
    Oh man, I missed that part.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CobraKai's Avatar
    vCash

The city of Oklahoma City is, frankly, THE economic engine that drives this state.
    Since when? Obviously during the oil boom this was far from the case. During the .COM boom Tulsa had about 70% of the state's high tech revenues (http://www.secureagent.com/nytimesarticle.htm). Oklahoma City has and always will have a more stable economy, with the state government, Tinker, and OU jobs, but to say that Oklahoma City's economy drives the state is short-sighted IMO. Over the last 100 years Tulsa's economy has been in that driver's seat for at least as many years.
    "That's a painting of me taking the bull by the horns. Its a metaphor. But that really happened."

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKai
    ...Over the last 100 years Tulsa's economy has been in that driver's seat for at least as many years.
    Which is exactly why Tulsa now has penis envy.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Which is exactly why Tulsa now has penis envy.
    Absolutely. And why OKC's many many years of penis envy are now being unleashed in a rage of "How ya like me now" fury.

Before everyone jumps on me I prefer OKC to Tulsa. I've lived in both places and hope to someday settle in the OKC area again. However, I am an Oklahoma native first and foremost, and I don't like seeing Tulsa OR OKC badmouthed by fellow Oklahomans or anyone else, hence my tendency to always insert myself into the Tulsa v. OKC arguments that start about once per month on this board.

Also, my vote is to call it the OKC Sonics. I agree that you don't chabnge a name with championships associated with it, and that "State" nicknames such as Arizona Cardinals are lame.
    "That's a painting of me taking the bull by the horns. Its a metaphor. But that really happened."

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Well, if you check my posts, I think you'll find that, besides my good-natured banter with bri, I am ALWAYS on the side of Tulsa succeeding. I think for Oklahoma to be dynamic, both cities have to be innovative and successful.

The problem is, Tulsa has stagnated, while OKC is now taking the lead in our state, and has for the past decade. Hence, my postulation that OKC is the economic engine that drives Oklahoma. It is what it is.

Hopefully, Tulsa gets it turned around. There are signs that they are doing so. For true change to happen, they're probably going to need some political upheaval. Believe me, there aren't too many people pulling for Tulsa more than I am, because I understand its importance to the state.
    Well, crap.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 49r's Avatar
    vCash

Whether it happens or not and whether they want to change the name or not. I just hope to God it ends in an "S" like "Tigers" or "Panthers" or "Rump Rangers" or "Mustangs"...something like that.

The recent insanity towards naming pro sports teams without an "S" like "Fire" or "Revolution" or "Magic" is totally bush-league, IMO.

Last edited by 49r; 9/6/2006 at 02:52 PM.

vCash

Maybe it could be called the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Cityans, taking it the next step from what Houston did???

vCash

I live just a few miles north of Seattle. I've always said if a Seattle teams moves I'd want it to go back to my home state.

vCash

Well, if you check my posts, I think you'll find that, besides my good-natured banter with bri, I am ALWAYS on the side of Tulsa succeeding. I think for Oklahoma to be dynamic, both cities have to be innovative and successful.

The problem is, Tulsa has stagnated, while OKC is now taking the lead in our state, and has for the past decade. Hence, my postulation that OKC is the economic engine that drives Oklahoma. It is what it is.

Hopefully, Tulsa gets it turned around. There are signs that they are doing so. For true change to happen, they're probably going to need some political upheaval. Believe me, there aren't too many people pulling for Tulsa more than I am, because I understand its importance to the state.
    Agreed on all points...especially the need for political upheaval.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa World Picker
    1. NBA

Oklahoma City lied. It said there was a big league sport in town.

There isn't.

A big league sport is the best of its type.

The NBA is a third-rate league off a bronze medal in the world games.

It's undisciplined street ball with a bunch of suckers paying top dollar for silly dunks.

Not even heaven's gift to basketball, Coach K of Duke, could coax these glory hogs into defending or passing.

Excuse-makers say the USA lost the game it invented because of different rules.

Yeah, the Golden Rule: other teams share.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Tulsa is like Guess Jeans and Oklahoma City are Levi's.

Tulsa is "Devo." Oklahoma City is Led Zepplin.

Tulsa = KSU football-OKC = OU football

Tulsa = Sour patch kids-OKC M&M's

Getting the picture? Tulsa is okay but OKC has moved so far ahead that Tulsa should keep an eye on Witchatitay for competition.

Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)