Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Re: IF the Sonics move to OKC they should

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron
    What ever the name ends up being, it will be the Oklahoma City _____. I've been a part of some meetings in the last few years where city leaders are tired of selling our City short by calling our teams "Oklahoma"______.
    Please. You mofos still owe us for the Oklahoma Outlaws.

Come to think of it, "Oklahoma Mofos" is pretty catchy.
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Paperclip's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    I'm sure crafty ad/marketing people could work the Tinker AFB thing in.
    Well, hopefully they would realize that "Oklahoma City Bombers" would be an immensely poor decision.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

vomit.

stick with the Sonics. and you get nice assonance with City and Sonics. and I'm sure crafty ad/marketing people could work the Tinker AFB thing in.

I fear what marketing people with a blank slate and a big budget would come up with.....c'mon people, don't get too heady with this.

plus, the NBA sucks out loud.

Amen.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

or wins 20 games a couple years in a row....and no one shows up anymore.
    gdc and KC,this IS our first shot at OUR OWN major league team and it amazes me that y'all would take such a negative attitude in this situation.You are talking about how bad Oklahoma would look if things go badly and how the support would disappear.It is a crying shame you can't tthink about how good we as a stae will look IF we get the Seattle franchise and are a sucess.

If this IS your attitude,it does make me wonder where y'all were in the Bl@ke years.Personally I was in the stands praying that we would be delivered,as were around 50,00 others.

Basketball is the one sport that OU,OSU,ORU,and TU fans all support.If OU fans can show up in the dark years,OSU fans can continue year after year to support gridiron losers,Hurricane fans endure year after year of losing;what makes anyone think that many of those same fans who are basketball fans as well will all turn their backs on a state NBA team?

In the end I will concede that you may be right.Personally I hope the state of OKLAHOMA gets the chance to prove you wrong.
    Last edited by stoopified; 8/22/2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner Rookie VicePresOfMuldrow's Avatar
    vCash

I'm a die hard sonics fan, and I would love to see them in OKC, but they should stay in Seattle, they're a staple franchise and have brought a title to Seattle!
    I am Kyle Burnett and I approved this Message.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified
    gdc and KC,this IS our first shot at OUR OWN major league team and it amazes me that y'all would take such a negative attitude in this situation.You are talking about how bad Oklahoma would look if things go badly and how the support would disappear.It is a crying shame you can't tthink about how good we as a stae will look IF we get the Seattle franchise and are a sucess.

If this IS your attitude,it does make me wonder where y'all were in the Bl@ke years.Personally I was in the stands praying that we would be delivered,as were around 50,00 others.

Basketball is the one sport that OU,OSU,ORU,and TU fans all support.If OU fans can show up in the dark years,OSU fans can continue year after year to support gridiron losers,Hurricane fans endure year after year of losing;what makes anyone think that many of those same fans who are basketball fans as well will all turn their backs on a state NBA team?

In the end I will concede that you may be right.Personally I hope the state of OKLAHOMA gets the chance to prove you wrong.
    I resent that my tax dollars are going toward a team, facility, and/or league I have no interest in or use for, and they are hurting the Sooner basketball team.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    I resent that my tax dollars are going toward a team, facility, and/or league I have no interest in or use for, and they are hurting the Sooner basketball team.
    There are few conflicts... less than five, I'd say. Having Chris Paul hang around our guys (who are relatively the same age) is probably a good thing for our players-- it gives them a future professional career to shoot for.

I think a name change is in order. Let Seattle keep all those memories and the name for a future franchise. Let's change the colors too......OKC Natives, OKC Indians (if cleveland can get away with it, we should be able to), OKC Thunderbirds (ties in with Native legends and the 45th), OKC Twisters, OKC Rain (Hey, the heat works in miami), I like the Stallions, a matchup between the Stallions and the Mavericks......OKC Colts.....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

I'm for removing the K in "OKC." We could be OC whatever but have a similar interlocking OC as out beloved OU.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handey
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Paperclip's Avatar
    vCash

Sooner Rookie VicePresOfMuldrow's Avatar
    vCash

OKC thunderbirds...that just slays me... SONICS FOREVER!
    I am Kyle Burnett and I approved this Message.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKC Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

How about naming them for something Oklahoma always has... The Wind.

If they got really good at fast breaks, we could call them the Breaking Wind!

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Don't get too caught up in this conversation guys. I'd say the chances of the Sonics moving here is WELL below 50%. Seriously. It's more likely that we'll have the Hornets back here in a few years, or an expansion team.

And, there is all but ZERO chance the Sonics will be here '07-'08. The best chance of that happening would be for something on the scale of Katrina happen to Seattle. Pretty unlikely, and pretty undesirable. In fact, there is just slightly more than zero chance that there will be ANY NBA franchise in OKC in '07-'08.

That said, I want to respond to the pricing issue, although I'm getting tired of doing it. The ticket prices for the Hornets are ALREADY league prices. Suggesting otherwise demonstrates a pretty shallow knowledge of the subject. Yes, Knicks, Lakers, Heat, even Mavericks tickets are often twice what OKC's tickets are. But there are only about a half dozen teams that are actually above the league average price. They set the curve with really huge prices. Glamour teams in huge cities.

Nearly every other team is in the same range we are in. Hell, we don't even have the cheapest ticket in the league. Our average ticket is only a few dollars less than DETROIT, who leads the league in attendance (through cheap ticket prices and a huge arena).

One of the things that will allow OKC's tickets to stay low for the foreseeable future is that the arena is completely paid for, thanks to MAPS. This allows the city to give it away, rent free, to a major league franchise. They can share in concessions and still make as much money as most cities, who are typically servicing arena debts in the hundreds of millions.

Seriously. These ticket prices aren't artificial, and will probably always be in a similar range. It's one of the reasons the NBA now knows a team will work here.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Follow-up: my info was based on research I did in answer to this question last year, and based on '04-'05 prices. When the Hornets moved to OKC, the rent deal allowed them to lower ticket prices, and they are now below $30 average price. This is $6 and change less than Detroit, but you'll notice premium ticket prices are actually higher than the Motor City.

Even at the lower prices enabled by the free rent, the Hornets are still five bucks higher than Golden State, who has the cheapest ticket. Note we are only a few dollars behind Seattle, who has an ATROCIOUS lease.

The average ticket price for Hornets games went up for this season, after they understood the fans would be there. I suspect it will now be over 30. No worries, though; season ticket sales this season are UP from last year.

Also, more teams are above the league average this year, but still only 13. The average ticket is $45.92. The Lakers are nearly $80 by themselves. The teams at the high end skew the number significantly.

But seriously, our tickets aren't out of line, and will always remain at the low end due to the rent situation.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Sorry, I meant to include my source on this one: http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm..._nba_05-06.cfm
    Well, crap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed
    Sorry, I meant to include my source on this one: http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm..._nba_05-06.cfm
    we also had some of the highest concessions prices through the league. look at the beer price-oz ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handey
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Didn't seem to bother Rhett Bomar. Of course, he was apparently doing OK financially.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStud615
    Cool.I'm on board.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    Well then, you'll be pleased to know that not one penny of your tax dollars went to support the Hornets or the NBA last season. In fact, the city of OKC and the state of Oklahoma will actually see a CASH PROFIT paid to them, not in sales tax revenue, but in local revenue (ticket sales, advertising, etc.) sharing. The city, state and private partners are being reimbursed for all expenses they incurred when bringing the Hornets here, and then all proceeds beyond that are split between those parties and the team itself. As a taxpayer, the Hornets actually made you money last year.

Linky
    Well, crap.