Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

IF the Sonics move to OKC they should

change their nickname.Nicknames for long-standing teams belong to the city of their birth IMHO.I mean Utah Jazz does NOT sound right at all.Baltimore should still be the Colts,Arizona should be the Firebirds or Thunderbirds not the Cardinals.St. Louis Rams? Gag.I have to admit however that Los angeles Lakers and Golden State Warriors does not bother me because I have no memory of them being in Minneapolis and Philly respectively.

Most importantly there needs to be a nickname change to make them part of Oklahoma,not refugees from the Northwest.Add to that that OKC or Oklahoma Sonics just plain ain't right.

Instead I favor a more fitting name for the team.My first choice would be The Warponies,a salute to our Native American heritage.Knowing that in this era of PC that this could be considered an etnic slur,my second choice is The Stallions,fierce proud animals that helped settle the west..Anyhow that is my thinking,any other schools of thought are welcome. Another thought just occured to me,how about F 'ING Hillbillys?
    Last edited by stoopified; 3/7/2008 at 08:38 PM.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PrideTrombone's Avatar
    vCash

Re: IF the Sonics move to OKC they should

WarPonies?

Makes me think of these...
    "Great advice, kid. Way to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park for Team Fail." - bri

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

What ever the name ends up being, it will be the Oklahoma City _____. I've been a part of some meetings in the last few years where city leaders are tired of selling our City short by calling our teams "Oklahoma"______.

I think the Sonics name fits nicely with Tinker AFB down the road and the fast food chain HQ down the street.

Plus, I'm afraid of what we'll end up with. Keep it the Sonics for me.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

I say keep the nickname change the logo.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

IF the Sonics move to OKC they should... MAKE RAY ALLEN THE STAR OF THEIR AD CAMPAIGNS!

As a transplant badger in Oklahoma originally from Wisconsin, it was saddest day of this Bucks' fandom days when they traded Ray Allen, superstar of basketball and movies alike, to the Sonics for three months of Gary Payton. Booo.

I mean, I grew to love Glenn Robinson, despite the lack of defense. I grew to love Sam Cassell despite his mouth. Vin Baker was an All Star before he was a recovering alcoholic in Milwaukee. I loved them all like a true fan of the team that gave Chicago its 70-win record--- but I loved Ray Allen the most.

PLEEEEASE bring Ray Allen to OKC. I promise that you will love him too. He's not some arrogant smirky guard like some pictures may lead you to believe. He's a star AND he's likable.

keep Sonics.

Rule: Never change the nickname if there are championships attached.

Fact: I will puke if we change any nickname to reflect very unhip heritage or Okieness (read: oilers or cowboys). Sonics is cool. Hornets=cool. 89ers? Not so much. War ponies? Nice effort, at least. Unique.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Sonics is alright. i don't want to see some ad firm get paid a brazilion dollars to do "focus groups" and come up with some inevitable bull**** like "the rattlers"...and some logo that makes you want to forgo life.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Paperclip's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    IF the Sonics move to OKC they should... MAKE RAY ALLEN THE STAR OF THEIR AD CAMPAIGNS!
    I'm still mad at him for "He Got Game". Ugh.

Agreed, they need a new name, I just don't know what it would be. Maybe the Tornados, Twisters, cyclones, ect. Maybe the Red (like red dirt, the sooners are crimson, not red), but that's pushing it. Who knows, just let it be somthing oklahoma.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by PrideTrombone
    WarPonies?

Sorry, but I don't think there's any "war" associated with those ponies. Better stick to the scooner.

Did they redesign them at all after the uproar from the fans? If not, are there plans to?

Zach

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Oklahoma City Cowpies is my suggestion!
    The mascot would look so cool!

vCash

Sonics already have too good of a corporate tie in at Bricktown. Here is the new mascot sans the chili and cheese.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner
    Sonics already have too good of a corporate tie in at Bricktown. Here is the new mascot sans the chili and cheese.

Gag. That is one major reason for changing the nickname .I have notning against Sonic Drive In but I just don't like any tie-in to a burger place.Dancing corn dogs,hotdogs and burgers make a lame macot.

I stand by original suggestion of Warponies(or Warhorses although most references to mounted Indian warriors seem to favor warponies over warhorses.I also like Stallions but in any case in no way do I favor goofy looking mascots like OUr administration came up with.I want an OKLAHOMA name for our OKLAHOMA team.Anyone got any other Ideas?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PrideTrombone
    WarPonies?

Those...

...things...

aren't "WarPonies," they're HorsePigs.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Paperclip
    I'm still mad at him for "He Got Game". Ugh.
    He might not be the best actor in the world, but that was a good movie. I'm gonna go and brush my teeth now for saying that about a "Spike Lee Joint," but it was...

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

C'mon skull,don't you have any ideas for a new nickname?The biggest thing IMHO is to choose a nickname that doesn't mirror OU or OSU for the obvious devisive reasons.That is why my first choice is Warponies and my Second is Stallions.Nicknames that I thought of and discarded were:Ranchands,Drovers ,Wranglers( too close to cowpukes),Rattlers( Imagine the mascot),Tumbleweeds( perpetuates Dust- Bowlimage)Plainsmen,Frontiersman( both dull-sounding.Theother nickname I came up with was the Marshals,in honor of those long-ago lawmen in Oklahoma Territory known as the Guardsmen.My brain is too sluggish to reacll the individual names of these men.

My final thought is that the nickname should be the OKLAHOMA_______ as opposed to the Oklahoma City ________ because ut will take the whole state to support a MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM.I think this was proven by the Hornets and their statewide support.
    Last edited by stoopified; 8/22/2006 at 02:18 PM.

I like the name Tornados; I also like Storm, Stallions, Thunder.

OKLAHOMA THUNDER!

vCash

vomit.

stick with the Sonics. and you get nice assonance with City and Sonics. and I'm sure crafty ad/marketing people could work the Tinker AFB thing in.

I fear what marketing people with a blank slate and a big budget would come up with.....c'mon people, don't get too heady with this.

plus, the NBA sucks out loud.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

It's going to be hilarious when any OKC NBA team goes belly-up when they start selling tickets at actual league prices.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    It's going to be hilarious when any OKC NBA team goes belly-up when they start selling tickets at actual league prices.
    or wins 20 games a couple years in a row....and no one shows up anymore.