another legal type question

what are the legal/tax implications if i live in texas and inherit a house/property in oklahoma?

if i am getting rent money from that house, am i going to pay oklahoma state income taxes every year or just the property taxes?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 frankensooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: another legal type question

you will be paying both.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Hatfield's Avatar
    vCash

screw em...don't tell nobody nuthin its yours

COLD DEAD HANDS!!! jihad
    In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by frankensooner
    you will be paying both.
    thats what i was afraid of, and to file oklahoma state income taxes, i'd have to include my other income...might need to just sell that property

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    thats what i was afraid of, and to file oklahoma state income taxes, i'd have to include my other income...might need to just sell that property
    Are you sure? I'm pretty certain only the income earned in Oklahoma is subject to OSIT.

vCash

yes, only income EARNED in oklahoma, which would be the rental income, less expenses...

yes, only income EARNED in oklahoma, which would be the rental income, less expenses...
    i seem to remember, when i was stationed at fort sill, and filing a joint return with my wife who worked in oklahoma (i was a texas resident), having to include my income on her OSIT return...

fuzzy memory as its been since the late 80's

but if youre right, i'll keep it!

vCash

Now when you die, of course, the property will have to be probated in Oklahoma, but hey, that won't be your problem!

I would spend some of the rent money on making improvements to add to its value in case you do decide to sell. If you rent it out, get 1st and last months rent and a hefty deposit. Also ask for 5 references and check them throughly. That will help to weed out the rif raf. Having bad renters is a nightmare.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Inheriting the House: No income tax of any kind. May be some Federal and/or Oklahoma estate tax if the estate is large enough.

Renting the House: Will be subject to tax by Oklahoma by virtue of being located in Oklahoma. This would require you to file an Oklahoma income tax return for yourself individually or an entity you create to own the house (highly advised if a rental). It is doubtful you would recognize any net income after taking into account property tax and depreciation.

If you live in one state and own real property in another, for the love of god, transfer the real property into a trust or entity (LLC) to avoid having to do two probates.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I know a guy who will burn it to the ground and make it look like like an accident if you'll give him a fourth of he insurance proceeds. A third if he has to make sure no one's home first.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes