Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: best runningback in OU's history?

don't forget pruitt & his 9.4 ypc. over 1600 yds on about 175 carries.
    nobody has matched that.

i kinda think billy was best. he didn't have joe's moves, but joe didn't have
    his speed & power.

vCash

I put three of them up there in terms of sheer talent, explosiveness, elusiveness and style:

Billy Sims
    Joe Washington
    Adrian Peterson

It's a toss-up right now. Adrian may ultimately get the nod due to greater career numbers, if he has a breakout junior season and a Heisman to go with it. Having seen all three, I dont think Adrian is any much better in relationship to other players in his era than Billy and Joe were to theirs. Simply put, all three were considered either the top or one of the top 2-3 runners in college football during their times at OU.

I can't make the same argument for any other running backs because, during their time at OU, they weren't THE top running back in college football in the eyes of the media or pollsters.

I know some may disagree with my putting Joe Washington there because he was playing at the same time as Archie Griffin but, OU had a dearth of media coverage which severely hampered Joe's marketing. He would have been a two-timer in my opinion instead of Griffin if he had better visibility.

I really liked what I saw from Demond Parker, Greg Pruitt, Steve Owens and imagine Billy Vessels was just as good in his era (he won the Heisman for crying our loud!) but, none of them held a candle in talent and charisma, to the three mentioned above.
    "Change is inevitable -- except from a vending machine!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    why would he (Q) have called the plays?

...because nobody else could?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RiddlerOK
    I put three of them up there in terms of sheer talent, explosiveness, elusiveness and style:

Billy Sims
    Joe Washington
    Adrian Peterson

It's a toss-up right now. Adrian may ultimately get the nod due to greater career numbers, if he has a breakout junior season and a Heisman to go with it. Having seen all three, I dont think Adrian is any much better in relationship to other players in his era than Billy and Joe were to theirs. Simply put, all three were considered either the top or one of the top 2-3 runners in college football during their times at OU.

I can't make the same argument for any other running backs because, during their time at OU, they weren't THE top running back in college football in the eyes of the media or pollsters.

I know some may disagree with my putting Joe Washington there because he was playing at the same time as Archie Griffin but, OU had a dearth of media coverage which severely hampered Joe's marketing. He would have been a two-timer in my opinion instead of Griffin if he had better visibility.

I really liked what I saw from Demond Parker, Greg Pruitt, Steve Owens and imagine Billy Vessels was just as good in his era (he won the Heisman for crying our loud!) but, none of them held a candle in talent and charisma, to the three mentioned above.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on this. A total toss-up and I definitely have Joe Washington up there.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I think a significant factor to remember is that wishbone era ball carriers had two other backs to share the carries with. The fullback dive got monotonous at times because Barry used it ad nauseum to set up defenses with the option....they HAD to share the wealth in a way that AD will never have to....no disrespect to Mr. Peterson, who is a phenomenal back....but Billy and Joe's numbers are WACK when you consider the sharing of duties. I vote Joe.....he missed a lot of second half action because of blow-outs.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Hadn't visited here in a while and this thread caught my eye. I was a 10-year old boy in Alabama when Vessels won the Heisman. I saw him play on TV and thought he must be the best football player that ever lived. I believe he played around the same time as Howard "Hopalong" Cassady at Ohio State. Talk about two great backs. I don't know now if Vessels is the best OU RB of all-time, but fellas, he was something to behold.

Btw, reckon OU and Bama will hook up again in the near future? That last home-and-home series was outstanding, even if we did lose both.

Sooner Benchwarmer #1-Erin-Higgins-Fan's Avatar
    vCash

JOE WASHINGTON!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy
    I think a significant factor to remember is that wishbone era ball carriers had two other backs to share the carries with. The fullback dive got monotonous at times because Barry used it ad nauseum to set up defenses with the option....they HAD to share the wealth in a way that AD will never have to....no disrespect to Mr. Peterson, who is a phenomenal back....but Billy and Joe's numbers are WACK when you consider the sharing of duties. I vote Joe.....he missed a lot of second half action because of blow-outs.
    An excellent point. Still, as a frosh, hitting over 1900 yds at a d-1 school like OU. It's tough to discount any of those 3.

And I know the talent level is different here, but look at Q's all purpose yardage. That kid did a lot of damage for a midget that really shouldn't even mentioned with these boys. He sure racked 'em up though.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Billy Sims.

Great balance, great quickness, great power, great patience.

Great fro.
    The human torch was denied a bank loan.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Ya'll have had a lot of great ones. I'd say Billy Sims,but Peterson is right there.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AUPOPS9
    Ya'll have had a lot of great ones. I'd say Billy Sims,but Peterson is right there.
    Check out soonerscooter.com and look at some of the old Joe Washington footage. It's in the same vein as Reggie Bush and Barry Sanders. He wasn't on TV much because of the NCAA violations. He was a freak. Archie Griffin owes little Joe a trophy.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trey
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    spek
    "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
    Romans 5:8

vCash

Pruitt should've won the trophy in 71.

9.4 ypc.

Our 1990s running backs could have been college national studs with a supporting cast. Jerald Moore (went to the NFL), Demond Parker (went to the NFL), James Allen (went to the NFL).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by arenateam
    Our 1990s running backs could have been college national studs with a supporting cast. Jerald Moore (went to the NFL), Demond Parker (went to the NFL), James Allen (went to the NFL).
    Gumbo Fazande was drafted higher than all three of them.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Obviously there is no way to prove this, but IMO Dupree and AD were the only 2 backs that had the goods physically and ability wise to go pro without even going to college. I don't know if this qualifies them for the best RB in OU's history, but they deserve something for having this distinction IMO.

They were men among boys, but both could have put up better numbers. Dupree for obvious reasons, and AD for the weird fact that KJ was our 3 down and short + goal line back for some reason. I love KJ and went to the same HS (I'm a couple of years older), but I never understood why they would give him the ball on the 1 after AD did all of the work getting us down field. He definitely was a more sure-handed RB, so it probably was the right move. Still though, AD could have had even crazier numbers if not for KJ. JMO

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

I think Billy Simms accomplishments at the pro level pretty well makes his case as the best ever. He was the most exciting to watch too, especially when he broke into the end zone and would run in an arc with one hand reaching for the ground.

vCash

please note also; Billy got most of his yards in his only two COMPLETE
    seasons.

Sooner Benchwarmer SoonerMachine's Avatar
    vCash

I'd put a healthy Gaddis up against any of 'em...
    "Here you go, America! You are free to do what we tell you!" -Bill Hicks

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Texas Golfer's Avatar
    vCash

We've been fortunate to have many excellent running backs. We had 3.5 of them win Heismans (I'm giving AD half of Leinert's trophy since AD had to split votes with Jason).

I can't really decide one over another because they each had their unique talents. I'd sure like to be able to clone each of their best qualities into one great back that we could have for four years.
    Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink.