Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

best runningback in OU's history?

You know with the great tradition Oklahoma has with runningbacks it is up there in consideration with Tailback U. You had guys like Billy Vessels,Steve Owens,Greg Pruitt,Joe Washington,Billy Sims,Kenny King,Marcus Dupree,Spencer Tillman,Leon Perry,Mike Gaddis and De'mond Parker and Quentin Griffin. And even with all those great names in the past I think the best one is at OU right now. When it's all said and done and for many years Adrian Peterson will be the greatest runningback in the history of Oklahoma football. Who do you all think is OU's greatest runningback?
    7 Time National Champions, 42 Time Conference Champions, most Orange Bowl wins and appearances of all time, 5 Heisman Trophy Winners. That's Oklahoma Football for you!

Sooner Benchwarmer AlabamaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: best runningback in OU's history?

I have to agree with you about AD. It's easy sometimes to look at your current running back and say "he's the best I've ever seen", but I really think it applies here. He's a freak of nature. Will he end up with the best numbers of all-time at OU? That remains to be seen. If he's here for four years, it's a no-brainer. So my vote is a definite yes. My favorite, however, is De'mond Parker though simply because that's when I started getting into OU football. Which was basically in the 7th grade when I knew I was already coming to OU.
    "The history of Oklahoma is about winning championships. We already have six national championships, now we have seven. We play well in the Orange Bowl. You can't say, 'well that was then, this is now'. That's Oklahoma football."

OU Class of '06
    Boomer Sooner!
    Roll Tide!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Snrfn4ever08's Avatar
    vCash

i'd have to agree on ad. i've never seen a runner like him before. he's got that perfect blend of speed and power. he doesn't need agility to juke defenders out because he'll just run through them
    "That's the same Barry Switzer who won three national titles (and a scary 83.7 percent of his games) at OU and, whether you like it or not, has more Super Bowl victories than Marty Schottenheimer, Marv Levy, Bud Grant, Dan Reeves, Andy Reid, Jeff Fisher and Lovie Smith -- combined." -Michael Silver, SI.com

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Dupree was great, but too shot lived to call the greatest.

It's between Sims, Washington, and AMFD.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Gerald Moore!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Spencer Tillman
    James Allen

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaSooner
    I have to agree with you about AD. It's easy sometimes to look at your current running back and say "he's the best I've ever seen", but I really think it applies here. He's a freak of nature. Will he end up with the best numbers of all-time at OU? That remains to be seen. If he's here for four years, it's a no-brainer. So my vote is a definite yes. My favorite, however, is De'mond Parker though simply because that's when I started getting into OU football. Which was basically in the 7th grade when I knew I was already coming to OU.
    I liked De'Mond Parker too. When I went to some of the home games. I knew we sucked. So I went to watch De'Mond play. He would've been one of the elite backs at OU if he had a better supporting cast.
    7 Time National Champions, 42 Time Conference Champions, most Orange Bowl wins and appearances of all time, 5 Heisman Trophy Winners. That's Oklahoma Football for you!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 freshchris05's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodfather889
    I liked De'Mond Parker too. When I went to some of the home games. I knew we sucked. So I went to watch De'Mond play. He would've been one of the elite backs at OU if he had a better supporting cast.

i still wonder what would of happened if he stayed till '99 and that high octane passing game had the explosivness of parker runnin the ball...
    "This whole world is 3 drinks behind..."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 101sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by freshchris05
    i still wonder what would of happened if he stayed till '99 and that high octane passing game had the explosivness of parker runnin the ball...

Excactly. Also Q would have been able to RS in '99 making him a Sr. in '03. Perhaps Q would have been helpful in the Sugar Bowl?

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 101sooner
    Perhaps Q would have been helpful in the Sugar Bowl
    why would he have called the plays?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 freshchris05's Avatar
    vCash

i still get sick thinking about that game.... i remember mo dancing on the bench, everyone getting pumped, us driving down the field and then it gets blurry...
    "This whole world is 3 drinks behind..."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    Jerald Moore!
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

1. Joe Washington
    2. Billy Sims
    3. AD
    4. Steve Owens

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

Billy ran like a gazelle. A powerful one.
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

you can make the argument Billy should have won the Heisman twice. i still think Charles White was a very good back....but would have struggled for 10 carries a game in the OU bone of 1978 with Billy, Overstreet, and Kenny King....instead of the 30+ per game he got at Student Body right as the feature back.

Little Joe was my first fave Sooner....but Billy probably the best i've seen in person.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Joe Washington may not have been the best back to play at OU, but he was the most exciting back to play anywhere.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

In terms of sheer athletic ability, Joe Washington.

In terms of getting it done on the field aand having a sensational career, Billy Sims.

It's so freaking funny, hearing you young guys say things like "i'd have to agree on ad. i've never seen a runner like him before. he's got that perfect blend of speed and power."

You are just too young to remember Billy. That dude was a badass and a half. As a Texas fan, I hated it when he played for ya'll.