Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Governmental inconsistencies...

You know 'em, ya hate 'em. Give some up!

I'll start.

You can get a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt BUT they don't even have seatbelts in school busses.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Governmental inconsistencies...

"Government Worker"

There's an inconsistency...or is that just an oxymoron?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

They can spend more money than they have, but if you spend more money than you have (by writing a hot check) then you can go to jail.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

Well Well...the newest victims of the Patriot Act SOrry about you guys getting audited and going to Club Gitmo!!
    Last edited by Gandalf_The_Grey; 6/24/2006 at 05:21 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

Everyone is subject to their home being raided by the department of justice,
    except the president, the congress and the senate.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
    Issac Asimov

party pooper
    vCash

you are paying into social security for "your" retirement.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
    "Government Worker"

There's an inconsistency...or is that just an oxymoron?

It's an oxymoron, much like "Military Intelligence"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by slickdawg
    It's an oxymoron, much like "Military Intelligence"

homey might not like that one.

vCash

Yeah comparing anyone to the government is a slap in the face...The Military gets good intelligence...the government is the ones who process it and screw it up

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    Yet tax cuts spur economic activity.

Last I checked, tax cuts were never meant to increase tax revenues.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba
    Yet tax cuts spur economic activity.

Last I checked, tax cuts were never meant to increase tax revenues.
    So this expectation by Bush is simply wrong. By the way, it's from the link I provided. Might read them now and then.

At a ceremony on the White House lawn, Bush said his tax cuts had helped the economy grow, "which means more tax revenue for the federal Treasury."
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
    Issac Asimov

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

how about this for inconsistency:

When it is **your** party that is in charge, they never do anything wrong and are wholly altruistic in their actions

that is meant for both sides of the fence
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

vCash

It's "OK" to have potholes but not "OK" to have pot.

vCash

It's allright to practice religion but it isn't allright to have a sex with a dog!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's ok for the gubmint to "Imminent Domain" your property, but when you show up in camo on their property they get a lil upset.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BudSooner
    It's ok for the gubmint to "Imminent Domain" your property, but when you show up in camo on their property they get a lil upset.
    actually G-Dub just signed an executive letter for protecting private property - pretty cool:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...060623-10.html

Executive Order: Protecting the Property Rights of the American People

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and to strengthen the rights of the American people against the taking of their private property, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to protect the rights of Americans to their private property, including by limiting the taking of private property by the Federal Government to situations in which the taking is for public use, with just compensation, and for the purpose of benefiting the general public and not merely for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken.
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

vCash

In God We Trust - on all of our currency

Dare not mention God in public buildings

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Seems to me this new Executive order dealio only helps limit federal government takings by virtue of the fact as chief executive, he's saying no federal department or agency in the executive branch may do so. This executive order remains in force and thus has the force of law until the next president cancels it or it's challenged in court and struck down as unconstitutional.

I know he had big time lawyers draft the above, but frankly, IMHO, unless SCOTUS changes its opinion, I don't think its gonna make much difference on the state or local level. The Court has consistently held that such taking is constitutional as long as there is procedural due process and the benefit can be rationally linked to any legitimate public purpose.

Increasing the local tax base by condemning private property the local authority believes can be put to more profitable use is one of those "legitimate public purposes" I'm afraid -- even if the result is that the city, county or state essentially forces some slumlord to sell his property to some private developer. Not saying I agree with it mind you, but its well settled law.

IMHO, the best we can hope for is state laws which make it illegal to do so. I believe the Court has recognized states can restrict eminent domain takings within their jurisdictions and such a thing enacted at the state level can put the brakes on such takings by state or local governments I've described above. I believe OUr legislature has or is about to do so.

That said, if the federal gov't needs your property for just about any reason it can cook up, they're gonna get it and you'll probably get "fair market value" (appraised at the time of the taking) in exchange. Good news is, it doesn't happen much.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

I've been trying to get benefits through the VA for my grandmother's nursing home care for about the last 12 months. 11.9 of those months were basically waiting on responses from the VA.

Does that count?