Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash

Workout plan.....

Okay, so I'm turning into an out-of-shape mofo, and I don't like it. I've always been lucky enough to not really have to work out much, b/c I'd been active year round playing sports, etc. Now that I have a grown up job, I'm finding it hard to be as active.

So.....I want to put together a little workout plan that I can try to get through every week. Maybe a day or two or running, and maybe 2-3 days of lifting. Problem is, I don't really know where to start. I have a bench at home (bench press, preacher curl bar/stand, and leg extensions), so I'd like to do as much at home as I can possibly do.

Also, at this stage, how important is the "core" workout stuff? I'm a little familiar with it, but my thinking is that until I get into better shape, I don't need to focus too much on this.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, or chat with me about it, I'd appreciate it. And please, no p**** a** suggestions like training for a triathalon.

vCash

Re: Workout plan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Okay, so I'm turning into an out-of-shape mofo, and I don't like it. I've always been lucky enough to not really have to work out much, b/c I'd been active year round playing sports, etc. Now that I have a grown up job, I'm finding it hard to be as active.

So.....I want to put together a little workout plan that I can try to get through every week. Maybe a day or two or running, and maybe 2-3 days of lifting. Problem is, I don't really know where to start. I have a bench at home (bench press, preacher curl bar/stand, and leg extensions), so I'd like to do as much at home as I can possibly do.

Also, at this stage, how important is the "core" workout stuff? I'm a little familiar with it, but my thinking is that until I get into better shape, I don't need to focus too much on this.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, or chat with me about it, I'd appreciate it. And please, no p**** a** suggestions like training for a triathalon.
    My house.

Saturday, 0700.

Bring a water bottle and wear running attire.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mongo's Avatar
    vCash

http://www.richardsimmons.com/

He is willing to help

I am in the same boat as you, I have started riding my bike again. Focus on the cardio until you shed a couple of pounds and get your wind back, and then proceed to lift weights(not heavy). The core training is very important. Do core training as much as possible.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hurricane'bone's Avatar
    vCash

Drink Heavily.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit
    My house.

Saturday, 0700.

Bring a some anal lube and wear those shorts with a hole cut in the bottom.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

stanley, cut down on the pop and fat foods,
    run, don't jog. jogging is the crap on your joints.
    loads of push ups, leg lifts, crunches and soem cardio like kick boxin'

vCash

To get a 6-pack avoid 12 packs.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I've lost 100 pounds over the last 5 years. My advice is to vary things up to keep from getting bored. Run around the block if the weather is nice. Get a home elliptical machine if you don't want to go to the gym. Walk around the mall on a rainy day. Use the stairs all the time if you can. Lift some weights. Do it before work if you feel like it, at lunch, after work, late in the evening, whenever you're most likely to do it. Just make sure you do something every day.

I know I feel 10x better on the days I work out, so now it's second nature to me. Also I know it's easier to work out when I'm eating well (that is, when I avoid stuffing myself).

vCash

I'm 23. I do nothing but eat junk food all day long with little to no exercise. I can't gain a damned pound not a one. I sit here and burn more fat doing nothing than most people do after an entire day of exercise.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor
    I'm 23. I do nothing but eat junk food all day long with little to no exercise. I can't gain a damned pound not a one. I sit here and burn more fat doing nothing than most people do after an entire day of exercise.

Ummm... isn't that kinda bad for the diabetes?
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

oh just wait. the Zima will catch up with you one of these days.
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

I like you less than I did when you tried to steal my Russian windfall.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash

I was the same way until I hit 25 or so. Trust me, it'll hit you. It'll hit you hard.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInKCMO
    Ummm... isn't that kinda bad for the diabetes?
    Well, to be honest that was before the diabetes.

I still snack around quite a bit, but the foods I snack around on aren't quite as bad or sugary as they used to be.

I had lost so much weight from the diabetes that I looked like a POW before I disvovered what the problem was. Now I'm back up to my normal weight and I feel great.

And it's just since I got into college that I stopped exercising. I swam competitively for 10 years and until HS I swam competitively year round on different leagues and teams. So that kept me in pretty good shape.

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin
    stanley, cut down on the pop and fat foods,
    run, don't jog. jogging is the crap on your joints.
    loads of push ups, leg lifts, crunches and soem cardio like kick boxin'
    Running is the crap on your joints too. Swimming. Total-body workout + cardio with zero impact.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

I'd highly reccomend swimming. Once you get used to it and get a tempo going you can swim almost indefinitely. I was a long distance swimmer and when I got my temp going I'd almost fall asleep in the water. It's VERY relaxing while also being a very good workout.

If you really want to get a good workout going in the water wear a t-shirt and a pair of seat pants/shorts. It'll soak the water up and it'll make you feel like you're hauling a ton of bricks behind you as you swim.

However, there is a bit of impact. I don't think it has any negative effect but if you're doing a flip turn at the wall rather than a touch and go then there's "impact."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Penguin's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    Running is the crap on your joints too. Swimming. Total-body workout + cardio with zero impact.

That's sounds great, but I can't swim and I'm allergic to drowning.
    Quote Originally Posted by proud gonzo
    you're weird

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin
    That's sounds great, but I can't swim and I'm allergic to drowning.
    I used to teach swim lessons and co-coach a swim team. I'd be willing to teach you to swim for about $400.00.

Brewmaster

vCash

A penguin that can't swim? All this time I thought you were the one doing the tripping...
    ... that's not food.

Brewmaster

vCash

I used to teach swim lessons and co-coach a swim team. I'd be willing to teach you to swim for about $400.00.
    I still can't get the butterfly to work right. What am I doing wrong aside from attempting the butterfly?
    ... that's not food.