Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stoop Dawg's Avatar
    vCash

Anyone here catholic?

Why?

After visiting Vatican City last September and the Cathedral of Notre Dame last week, I can't wrap my head around a religion that spends so much money on lavish furnishings when there is so much hunger and disease in the world.

Did you know they sell candels in the Notre Dame for 5 euros each? Yes, they sell them *inside* the cathedral. Classy, eh? Isn't there a Bible verse about Jesus throwing the merchants out of the temple? Wait, nevermind, I haven't read the Bible. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Anyone here catholic?

In before the TL.

This is going to be spectacularly horrible.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

Aren't you the guy that thinks the World Cup is the next best thing since sliced bread?
    one day

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Uh, before you start talking you might want to take a look at some Protestant churches that are being built that would certainly fit the description of "extravagant".

And most people are Catholic for the same reason people are Protestant, they were raised that way.

And while we are at it, I haven't seen a priest on TV, claiming that if people in the trailer park don't give him a million dollars he is going to die.
    Boomer Sooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stoop Dawg
    Why?

After visiting Vatican City last September and the Cathedral of Notre Dame last week, I can't wrap my head around a religion that spends so much money on lavish furnishings when there is so much hunger and disease in the world.

Did you know they sell candels in the Notre Dame for 5 euros each? Yes, they sell them *inside* the cathedral. Classy, eh? Isn't there a Bible verse about Jesus throwing the merchants out of the temple? Wait, nevermind, I haven't read the Bible. I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Is Notre Dame still under construction? I was there in Oct. and it was all tore up. Did you see the catacombs under it? Kinda cool. Notre Dame is an impressive structure though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerscuba
    Uh, before you start talking you might want to take a look at some Protestant churches that are being built that would certainly fit the description of "extravagant".

And most people are Catholic for the same reason people are Protestant, they were raised that way.

And while we are at it, I haven't seen a priest on TV, claiming that if people in the trailer park don't give him a million dollars he is going to die.
    yeah but let's also realize how much money many churches give to the poor, needy, famished and others while you sit there, bitch and criticize.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah and the Baptists what about the Baptists!

I don't know what this has to do with anything but I just thought I would throw it out there.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IB4OU2's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
    Is Notre Dame still under construction? I was there in Oct. and it was all tore up. Did you see the catacombs under it? Kinda cool. Notre Dame is an impressive structure though.
    What's the big deal about Touchdown Jesus?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

It's because they're all too busy molesting altar boys in the confessional.

(just doing my part to train-wreck this thread. )

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

And they're off:

Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    yeah but let's also realize how much money many churches give to the poor, needy, famished and others while you sit there, bitch and criticize.
    I have before, and I think that churches provide fill a void that a lot people (not a majority, but there is certainly a fair number) would otherwise fill with any manner of deviant behavior. But to renounce a religion due to structures built centuries ago while the primary alternative builds structures that are equally impressive and sticks coffee shops and bookstores in is highly hypocritical.
    Boomer Sooner

i've never understood how catholics lean very democrat (kennedys) yet they are pro life.

*they're that way in MS anyway... i attended catholic for 10 years... never converted.

vCash

I have before, and I think that churches provide fill a void that a lot people (not a majority, but there is certainly a fair number) would otherwise fill with any manner of deviant behavior. But to renounce a religion due to structures built centuries ago while the primary alternative builds structures that are equally impressive and sticks coffee shops and bookstores in is highly hypocritical.
    I agree but I wasn't being critical of the catholic church. my point is most people do not realize the amount of money given by Christians to world missions.

vCash

Or gaudy church decorations.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Very good points. Those mega-Churches make my stomach turn at how excessive they are. Prestonwood Baptist in Plano, TX was one of my customers, and they spent a ridiculous amout of money just to maintain the 1,000,000 square foot buidling... I mean, ridiculous.

My problems with Catholicism are purely Scripturally based upon the many false doctrines they continue to propagate that have no Biblical support whatsoever.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Hamhock's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by thebiglebowski
    Very good points. Those mega-Churches make my stomach turn at how excessive they are. Prestonwood Baptist in Plano, TX was one of my customers, and they spent a ridiculous amout of money just to maintain the 1,000,000 square foot buidling... I mean, ridiculous.

My problems with Catholicism are purely Scripturally based upon the many false doctrines they continue to propagate that have no Biblical support whatsoever.

what he said
    heh.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stoop Dawg
    Or gaudy church decorations.
    are you talking old world catholic stuff?

do you give money to charity?

vCash

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You're gonna need to get your own catholic-bashing thread. This one is strictly for pondering the vast amounts of money poured into building lavish churches, temples, etc. instead of carrying out their stated mission.

Unless their stated mission is to build lavish churches and call them "Bascillicas". I honestly don't know.

vCash

This is where I don't start anything. Namely because I agree with you, but on the other hand I find many of the Protestant clergy incredibly annoying. Que petter-*** jokes.
    Boomer Sooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Fugue's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner
    In before the TL.

This is going to be spectacularly horrible.
    indeed, when Sweetheart gets here...oh mama