Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Great Anti-Soccer American

I know a guy who's father was in charge of high school athletics in Alabama and refused to sign-off on officially sanctioning boys soccer in Alabama high schools in 1981.

Coach Burgess believed soccer was a communist plot to take down America and would lead to the wussification of American boys.

As an aside, he didn't mind if HS girls played soccer.

I think he should have a postage stamp or something.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Great Anti-Soccer American

Something with a tagline of "Alabama - Leading the nation in retards since 1981"?
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

The stamp could feature an "actual size" photo of the guy's brain,

or at least his narrow mind.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

Coach Burgess believed team sports played on fields which did not involve players wearing protective equipment were suspect.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    Coach Burgess believed team sports played on fields which did not involve players wearing protective equipment were suspect.
    Did he hate Rugby too?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

I played six seasons of soccer as a kid, and a few more of indoor as an adult. I forgot to wear my shin guards to practice one time, and I got kicked. I never forgot them again.
    La ola es mía.

2013 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Osce0la's Avatar
    vCash

I read somewhere a few years ago that there are more soccer injuries per year in the US than there are football.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Besides, a bitch gotta party, yo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Coach Burgess probably felt that 'coloreds' didn't belong on the same sports fields/gyms as 'the good ol' boys' too I bet.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    Coach Burgess probably felt that 'coloreds' didn't belong on the same sports fields/gyms as 'the good ol' boys' too I bet.
    Not at all. In fact, he was influential in convincing the Bear to accept blacks on his team.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm thinking those "header" shots in soccer are pure madness. (maybe should be banned)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm not much of a soccer fan, my school didn't have it either, but to ban it seems a little overboard.

these guys that play soccer run their buts off, it's like being in a sprint for an hour.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member slickdawg's Avatar
    vCash

You know why they can't solve murders in Alabama?

No dental records and all of the DNA matches.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Osce0la
    I read somewhere a few years ago that there are more soccer injuries per year in the US than there are football.
    Is that counting all the fake-*** injuries where they fall down for no reason other than to get a foul called?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Is that counting all the fake-*** injuries where they fall down for no reason other than to get a foul called?
    no moreso than going on the 30 day DL with a hangnail.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stoop Dawg's Avatar
    vCash

So not only did he not like soccer, he didn't know anything about it either! Hooray for ignorance!

Administrator
    vCash

So, after all the hype, the USA and Italy ended up in a 1-1 tie?

And you people wonder why I hate that ****ing game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    And you people wonder why I hate that ****ing game.
    Because you don't watch it? Because you don't know the rules? Because you think that the only excitement in a game is scoring? Throw us a bone.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stoop Dawg
    Because you don't watch it? Because you don't know the rules? Because you think that the only excitement in a game is scoring? Throw us a bone.
    How about because in two games they've scored 1 goal and are on the verge of goin' 0'fer in the win column. Why get emotionally invested in a team that perpetually dissappoints? That's what the Cubs are for.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
    How about because in two games they've scored 1 goal and are on the verge of goin' 0'fer in the win column. Why get emotionally invested in a team that perpetually dissappoints? That's what the Cubs are for.
    Perpetually disappoints? I'll go ahead and mark you down in the "doesn't have a clue" column.

Brewmaster

vCash

Heh. For our world cup teams, qualifying at all still counts as "exceeding expectations".
    ... that's not food.