SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Good Morning...Ronaldus Maximus wins the Cold War with a mighty speech

June 12, 1987 Reagan challenges Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall

June 12, 1987 in Berlin.

On this day nineteen years ago, in one of his most famous Cold War speeches, President Ronald Reagan challenges Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down" the Berlin Wall. Two years later, deliriously happy East and West Germans were allowed to do just that as they pulled apart the infamous barrier between East and West Berlin.

Reagan's challenge came during a 1987 visit to West Berlin. With the Berlin Wall as a backdrop, Reagan declared, "There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace." [referring to his Soviet counterpart,] "Secretary General Gorbachev, if you seek peace--if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe--if you seek liberalization: come here, to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

Addressing the West Berlin crowd, Reagan observed, "Standing before the Brandenburg Gate, every man is a German, separated from his fellow men. Every man is a Berliner, forced to look upon a scar." Reagan then went on to ask Gorbachev to undertake serious arms reduction talks with the United States.

Most listeners at the time viewed Reagan's speech as a dramatic appeal to Gorbachev to renew negotiations on nuclear arms reductions. It was also a reminder that despite the Soviet leader's public statements about a new relationship with the West, the United States wanted to see a little less talk and a little more action taken to improve the Cold War tensions.

Just eight months before, a summit between Reagan and Gorbachev had ended unsatisfactorily, with both sides charging the other with bad faith in talks aimed at reducing nuclear arsenals. Reagan, who had formed a personal closeness to Gorbachev during their previous meetings, obviously wanted to move those negotiations forward.

Signing the INF treaty

In December 1987, the two met once again and signed the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty which eliminated the Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) representing an entire class of nuclear missiles from Europe. America had upped the ante when it introduced GLCMs into Europe because the missiles could reach their Warsaw Pact eastern European targets often in under 20 minutes and in most cases, the Soviets couldn't detect their launching as they could our ICBMs launched from American missile fields in the central US.

GLCM launch vehicle...tough to target too because they rolled around all over the countryside and could set up and launch in around ten minutes.

GLCM test launch

Happy Trails and Rest in Peace Dutch

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Good Morning...Ronaldus Maximus wins the Cold War with a mighty speech

Ah, the good old days when you could actually point missiles at a STATE, and then engage in meaningful dialogue....now we have a gazzilion cells of relligious fanatics embedded in innocent populations, with no concept of freedom. Tough sledding....
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

i went to Reagan library in simi valley, in Jan. very good place.
    has an old AF1, 707.

i lived in CA when Reagan was guv. he changed me from dem to Repub.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy
    Ah, the good old days when you could actually point missiles at a STATE, and then engage in meaningful dialogue....now we have a gazzilion cells of relligious fanatics embedded in innocent populations, with no concept of freedom. Tough sledding....
    Word. I miss the Bolsheviks!

And that was some really brilliant speechifying by the Gipper ! I still get pumped up just reading it.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The world could use another RR these days.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

IBTDTW
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TUSooner
    Word. I miss the Bolsheviks!
    oh they'll be back.