SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Coffee lovers: Give props to Pope Clement VIII

Born in 1536 in Fano, Ippolito Aldobrandini hailed from a distinguished Florentine family. Elevated to the papacy in 1592, His Holiness Clement VIII made coffee legit in the western world.

Believing it was the drink of the devil, invented by Satan for the Muslim infidels as a substitute for the wine they were forbidden to drink, some priests attacked it and forbade its consumption. They reasoned that since wine in the Western Christian world was sanctified by Christ and used in Holy Communion, coffee must then be of the anti-Christ.

Pope Clement VIII settled the dispute. He asked that the brew be brought before him. Intrigued by its powerful aroma, he sipped the coffee and found it to be delicious. The Pope blessed it on the spot, saying, "Coffee is so delicious it would be a pity to let the infidels have exclusive use of it." With the Pope's blessing, imports of coffee to Italy and the Western world came flooding in, paving the way for the first western coffee houses.

Clement VIII, he appreciated a good cup of Joe.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Re: Coffee lovers: Give props to Pope Clement VIII

God bless Pope Clement.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

See guys. Organized religion ain't all bad.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
    Issac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

That is some tremendously useless information. I LIKES it.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

My morning coffee borders on a religious experience, so I thank Clement VIII for doing his part. What's the correct way to give Clem his props? Yay, Pope?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tailwind's Avatar
    vCash

Thanks to the Pope. I toast him with my first morning cup, now and forevermore.
    " A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Olevet Posse Member

Brewmaster

vCash

Yeah, but it took Italians to invent espresso. Also known as very fast coffee.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tailwind's Avatar
    vCash

I can't take that espresso stuff....way too much caffeine. I used to love those chocolate covered coffee beans, too, but they amped me up too much.
    " A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Olevet Posse Member

Brewmaster

vCash

I'm not crazy for espresso straight, but a cappuccino is freaking awesome.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    Yeah, but it took Italians to invent espresso. Also known as very fast coffee.
    Oh yeah, well where do you think a d00d named Ippolito Aldobrandini was from? Ireland? Musicians. sheesh.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OCUDad
    My morning coffee borders on a religious experience, so I thank Clement VIII for doing his part. What's the correct way to give Clem his props? Yay, Pope?
    Heh. I loves me my morning cup!
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

12. 6/11/2006, 08:09 PM

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Wink Re: Coffee lovers: Give props to Pope Clement VIII

sincerely,

Deron Spoo

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    Oh yeah, well where do you think a d00d named Ippolito Aldobrandini was from? Ireland? Musicians. sheesh.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    sincerely,

Deron Spoo
    That joke about the three clergymen trying to convert a bear was a hoot too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jaux
    Replaced rum with coffee. As usual the US Army is 250 years behind the times.
    (That 1930s mess kit did not die until the 80s.)

I've seen military operations nearly grind to a halt when the dip and coffee ran out. Seriously. Private Snuffy will attempt just about anything you ask as long as he's got his tobacco and caffiene. Its been that way since the Civil War.