Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

It's about time!

U.S. Approves Use of Vaccine for Cervical Cancer!! For all of us women, this is the best news. Unfortunately we didn't have it years ago. My mother died of this horrible disease. It is the easiest cancer to treat if caught on time. If it isn't, it is the hardest to cure. Now knowing that it could have been prevented by a vaccine leaves me speechless. 13 years have passed since momma passed, but I guarantee she is smiling down knowing that the chances of my sister & I getting this have tremendously decreased.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mongo's Avatar
    vCash

Re: It's about time!

Great news, and sorry Mrs. Norm. My mom had to have a total hysterectomy(sp) due to the possibility of cancer. Glad to know it can be stopped.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

And ironically it took all of 30 minutes for the crowd against the drug to come out saying that it promotes promiscuity in teenage girls after the announcement of the approval.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    And ironically it took all of 30 minutes for the crowd against the drug to come out saying that it promotes promiscuity in teenage girls after the announcement of the approval.
    They are totally ignorant. The vaccine isn't for STD's! The cancer is developed by a virus, which is spread through sex. As for that, it has nothing to do with sex. I hate ignorant people.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member dolemitesooner's Avatar
    vCash

I hate ignorant people too

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Norm
    They are totally ignorant. The vaccine isn't for STD's! The cancer is developed by a virus, which is spread through sex. As for that, it has nothing to do with sex. I hate ignorant people.
    i agree that they are ignorant, but i'm not sure i get your point about it having nothing to do with sex.

calling the vaccine a cervical cancer vaccine is a marketing term. it is actually an HPV vaccine (from what i've read). it won't prevent cancer caused by other processes. it's also ineffective against those already exposed (which is a lot of women). at present, a woman is much less likely to get cervical canx w/o HPV...and it's pretty difficult to get HPV w/o having sex...

so it does have something to do with sex. trying to make an argument about the vaccine on the basis of sex is, however, pretty absurd. i don't really get their (focus on the family et al) point on this one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Phil, the intent is to prevent cancer, not to make sex safe. And that's how they are going to market it.
    My concern is that the study was fairly small and we don't know how long it is effective (meaning a booster will be needed).
    Heck, it is very obvious that the children need a booster for the chickenpox vaccine and we can't a ruling on that yet.

And I don't want someone to think that because they had the vaccine that they are immune. There are still going to be some failures......
    But this is a great start.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

listen, i couldn't be happier. i've got 3 daughters and i'm a merck stockholder.....

this is probably going to save many, many lives in future generations. however, we haven't heard the half of how much a blight HPV is on society.

my point was more about how the vaccine is being called a cancer vaccine and how i don't understand the (far) right's point of view on this. they stand behind some pie in the sky idea that the vaccine somehow encourages young girls to think that pre-marital sex is o.k. - which is stupid.

they should come out in support of the vaccine as a life saving measure with the caveat that having unprotected sex is still rolling the dice for a lot of things you don't want......

vCash

I'm not sold on the effectiveness.

If it was one of my kids, I think I'd wait until use proves effectiveness and the number of side effects are proved minimal.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

We'd know all of the answers already if the drug companies weren't out there taking Dr's out to dinner.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr
    We'd know all of the answers already if the drug companies weren't out there taking Dr's out to dinner.
    I'll ask the rep after she's done detailing my car.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

those sleazy bastages. they're probably out there right now telling doctors about this great new drug. the nerve of those salespeople.
    one day

So, if you are already married for life, this vaccine is of no help?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUSAEmom
    So, if you are already married for life, this vaccine is of no help?
    Correct. We probably already has the virus as is common. And the target group is younger than us.
    If you go in for your annual exam, or whatever your doc recommended, you should be fine.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04