Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer CrimsonChampion's Avatar
    vCash

Crystal Football Why not undefeated?

I've noticed several posts of Sooner fans predicting 11-1, 10-2, and even 6-6!

If we get wins against Oregan and Texas, which we will, It'll be another serious title run. IMO, it's already a serious title run, we went 7-5 with a bowl loss in '99, Stoops first year. Then followed up with a magical season in 2000, a team that was built for '01, '02 title teams. Coach Stoops said it himself, we were still building in 2000 and ended up running the table and taking it all. We did stumble in the years after, but still managed a Rose Bowl victory and 2 other title games.

I'm just saying don't forget the magic

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BASSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Why not undefeated?

11-1 and 10-2 are very realistic maybe 9-3 if we lose to the aggots on kyle field. There is no way we go 6-6, that is just nick's delusional opinion. If we beat texas, texas a&m, and oregon, we'll go undefeated and I believe we can beat all 3 of those teams.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Octavian's Avatar
    vCash

National championship seasons are incredibly difficult to achieve.

Oklahoma has won 7 AP national titles. In those seven seasons, only 4 of them were undefeated. That means 4 times since the AP's inception in 1936, OU went undefeated and won the national championship: 4 times in 70 years. The number of Sooner NCs is exponentially higher than the vast majority of programs in America and absolutely higher than every one except two!: ND(8), USC(also 7)

It's really, really, hard to win a NC. That being said, OU's NC teams didn't necesarily come in our best years. We were probably better in 78 than 75. We were definetly better in 86 (and probably 87) than 85. Our 2003 squad was much more dominant than the 2000 team.

The difference is often simple good fortune. In 85, Tennessee beat Miami...we beat Penn St.=NC. In 2000, Torrence makes a pick=NC. 87, Jamelle breaks his leg, 2003=JW breaks more than he doesnt. 78, Billy fumbles on the 3 in Lincoln. Its often just the difference between good and bad luck.

Like, having to play Miami and LSU in their own backyards for all the marbles...thats incredibly bad luck. Snoop Minnis getting suspended before the 2000 NCG, thats incredibly fortunate (and those weren't even on the field happenings). Pick out any championship team (save Nebraska 95 in my lifetime) and you'll find two or three crucial points where they flat-*** lucked out and somehow snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

We all wanna win the NC of course but the odds are against basically every team every year. To expect 10-2 from a young squad is pretty brash. If we win more than that and/or somehow find ourselves in the National Championship Game on Jan 8, we'll have used some Sooner Magic to get there and we'll need some more to win it.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian
    National championship seasons are incredibly difficult to achieve.

Oklahoma has won 7 AP national titles. In those seven seasons, only 4 of them were undefeated. That means 4 times since the AP's inception in 1936, OU went undefeated and won the national championship: 4 times in 70 years. The number of Sooner NCs is exponentially higher than the vast majority of programs in America and absolutely higher than every one except two!: ND(8), USC(also 7)

It's really, really, hard to win a NC. That being said, OU's NC teams didn't necesarily come in our best years. We were probably better in 78 than 75. We were definetly better in 86 (and probably 87) than 85. Our 2003 squad was much more dominant than the 2000 team.

The difference is often simple good fortune. In 85, Tennessee beat Miami...we beat Penn St.=NC. In 2000, Torrence makes a pick=NC. 87, Jamelle breaks his leg, 2003=JW breaks more than he doesnt. 78, Billy fumbles on the 3 in Lincoln. Its often just the difference between good and bad luck.

Like, having to play Miami and LSU in their own backyards for all the marbles...thats incredibly bad luck. Snoop Minnis getting suspended before the 2000 NCG, thats incredibly fortunate (and those weren't even on the field happenings). Pick out any championship team (save Nebraska 95 in my lifetime) and you'll find two or three crucial points where they flat-*** lucked out and somehow snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

We all wanna win the NC of course but the odds are against basically every team every year. To expect 10-2 from a young squad is pretty brash. If we win more than that and/or somehow find ourselves in the National Championship Game on Jan 8, we'll have used some Sooner Magic to get there and we'll need some more to win it.
    This post makes alot of sense and I agree with it completely. But it makes me less optimistic. I want another National Title so badly!!!!!!!!!!!
    7 Time National Champions, 42 Time Conference Champions, most Orange Bowl wins and appearances of all time, 5 Heisman Trophy Winners. That's Oklahoma Football for you!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUGreg723's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodfather889
    This post makes alot of sense and I agree with it completely. But it makes me less optimistic. I want another National Title so badly!!!!!!!!!!!

HAH. We all do man, and we will get one soon enough. Don't be less optimistic. You only win national chamionships when your standards are that high and you know your going to win. Oklahoma Football is a special thing, and our program does all the right things to increase our odds of winning the NC. Stoops will win another one or maybe even two by the time hes done. No Doubt in my mind.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Why? Because this team has yet to prove to me that they can close a team out when they are ahead. If we allow teams like Baylor to hang (no offense sic), we will have trouble on the road against the most solid teams.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

It's easy to homer in a call of undefeated.

But be realistic and realize that chance is veeeeerrrry slim. It's possible, but not probable.

Be honest and state what you believe we'll actually do, and not what you want us to do.

That's why if we beat Oregon, our chances of being undefeated go way higher. Until then, I say 10-2.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

double post
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

If Bob believes it's possible...I believe it's possible.

UNDEFEATED.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUGreg723
    HAH. We all do man, and we will get one soon enough. Don't be less optimistic. You only win national chamionships when your standards are that high and you know your going to win. Oklahoma Football is a special thing, and our program does all the right things to increase our odds of winning the NC. Stoops will win another one or maybe even two by the time hes done. No Doubt in my mind.
    That's why I rooted against Texas in the Rose Bowl. I didn't want them to be able to say they've won one more recently for fearing that I'd have to hear that for awhile.
    7 Time National Champions, 42 Time Conference Champions, most Orange Bowl wins and appearances of all time, 5 Heisman Trophy Winners. That's Oklahoma Football for you!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Jello Biafra's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonChampion
    I've noticed several posts of Sooner fans predicting 11-1, 10-2, and even 6-6!

If we get wins against Oregan and Texas, which we will, It'll be another serious title run. IMO, it's already a serious title run, we went 7-5 with a bowl loss in '99, Stoops first year. Then followed up with a magical season in 2000, a team that was built for '01, '02 title teams. Coach Stoops said it himself, we were still building in 2000 and ended up running the table and taking it all. We did stumble in the years after, but still managed a Rose Bowl victory and 2 other title games.

I'm just saying don't forget the magic
    deep down, I think EVERYONE thinks we can do but noone wants to say it.

kinda like sayin "sweep" the night before game 4 or....
    sayin "shutout" with 8 minutes to go in a hockey game
    or saying "rain" anytime while you are in the field in the military. (more times than not, you will get a stank booty asss whoopin for saying the R word)

Sooner Magic? I'm cool with it. will i say undefeated? not a chance. It would be cool to predict but i'd much prefer the surprise of an undefeated season at around the 1 minute mark in the NC game
    Ole Vet Posse SGT-AT-ARMS.

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

UAB = OUr line will have some issues, but they gotta be really f***** up to not open a whole for AD against UAB "defense." This game and next will allow us time to make stupid mistakes and workhorse our proven players to win.
    Washington = Show up and root in pride of OUr team, we could seal OUr first blowout as soon as the thrid quarter. Don't wager it, but count on it...
    OREGON = Ngata gone means that Oregon would have been eaten up on those two fake punts and OU wins 24-7. For a team who is only going to get better, I'm not so worried about OU's chances in Eugene. Sh*t could definitely happen, but new faces on the D who looked better in a spring game than OUr D did all of last season makes me happy. Jonathan Stewart or whatever his name is may be good, but we got better.

RRS 101 = Key losses on their team include Huff, Taylor and VY, take away those guys and put in a Freshmen at VY, a second stringer at MH, and Jamaal Charles at RB/WR = OU would not have won the 2005 game, but they would have at least 14 points, and the VY magic takes away two TDs. 45-14= 31-14. Now do you think a majorly improved OU squad will flounder? A loss is possible, yes. But UT dominating OU in 2006? Hold your horns, steers; we may end up with another game like 2001, a game where one critical play crowns the RRS victor. I would wager OU shutting out UT before UT dominating OU. Bomar isn't fumble-happy anymore and given a strong AD, the endzone is ours at least twice.

Rest of the schedule seems like a cakewalk, right? Think again, when a team makes it over a hill, they are likely to collapse when least expected. The road games against Aggie and Aggie-lite have got us before, and OUr rapid-fire offense in 2004 only won by 7 in College Station after JW threw a near-perfect game. UT 2005 only won by 11 with many bad calls in their favor at College Station, they can and will be a problem. Aggie-lite flat out sux, but that never stopped them from giving their daddy a game in previous Boone Pickens games.

Conflicts await all the way to the end of the season. I'll bet on a BIG 12 Title, though...
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Why would aTm pose a problem? Am I missing something?

BTW, spek for Octavians post. Well said... but if you think about it, we were in the NC game 3 out of 5 years. Pretty impressive, but the losses didn't come from "luck". Getting there, maybe... but not actually losing it.

vCash

I have lots of Crimson glasses for free . Yall need some
    Im say AD heisman this yr OU #8
    07 Bomar heisman # 9
    Prove me wrong Right now
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jacru's Avatar
    vCash

"...All things are possible to him who believes."
    Mark 9:23
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm achieving "old fart" status. I'm not quite old enough yet, but I got the fart part nailed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 westcoast_sooner's Avatar
    vCash

I can't wait for the season, and think about it pretty often. Undefeated? Dunno. I could see a lot of games going our way, but we have to stay healthy, and the OL has to improve. The good thing is that they have a couple of games to start getting their collective acts together before we to to Eugene and Dallas. I like the fact we have an extra prep week (and a week to rest up) before heading to the RRS, too. But we also play 4 of the last 5 games on the road - with two of those being in College Station and stoolwater.

We'll have to play very well to have a successful season, but either way, this should build the foundation for 2007.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BASSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Stoops factor + Sooner magic=undefeated season

Stoops factor=guarantee CC win and a great bowl win

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I'd love to predict an undefeated season, but as posted above, its very tough to do. Even if you are the best team, you still need luck to pull it off.

One thing I really like for this season is that I think we are a little below the radar screen. We will be improved, and everyone expects that, but there is a lot of doubt out there about Bomar's ability and AD's "ability to stay healthy." Bomar finished the season strong and I like his resolve (god I love that line!- thanks Les). With respect to AD, the ankle was a fluke injury last year, and despite being "hurt all year" , he lead the Big 12 in rushing behind a bad O line. Injury problems?- the guy hold 80lb dumbells and jumps onto a box 36" off the ground. Most college football players would hurt themselves trying to do that. Yeah, AD has problems staying healthy. Ramonce Taylor would hurt himself trying to jump 3 feet in the air with a 5lb backpack strapped to him (a "borrowed" backpack).

Key Games (basically repeating above for the most part)

Oregon- Autzen is a tough environment. We are the better team, but who knows what will happen. I give us 2/3 chance to win this one.

Tejas- Pretty even match-up this year, us having the edge if the D is as good as expected.

A&M- They always play us tough in College Station, even under Stoops.

Trailer Park U- 2 L's and 2 close games under Stoops. in state rival can be tough.

Missou/Col/ISU- I see one of these games being tougher than expected.

Tough to run the table here, but again, it would be unexpected, and I like that. Remember 2000 when we were underdogs in three games that year (Texas, KSU round 1, FSU- someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). We won't be dogs that many times this year, but we were out to prove something, which is the case this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner94

Missou/Col/ISU- I see one of these games being tougher than expected.

I agree with this but the game is Mizzou, the roads games seem to kill us in confrence. No Brad Smith, but last yr. the backup QB was a special PR guy in some situations.

vCash

Man Yall need my glasses
    Ask jello aka (can ) if I didnt predict the 2000 season
    I missed the safety, It should have been 13 -0 season and 13-0 game
    We start the NEW streak as of 2 games ago
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !