Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brewmaster

vCash

Re: Reputation Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Beano's Fourth Chin
    Can someone link to the threads where recommendations happened in the past?

Hmmm.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57291

And there was some discussion in here: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57054 if you want to wade through the pages of bitching that got it locked in the first place.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

yeah that thread was good until it turned into a 'what troll is sas' and 'gdc v. horns/whornlovers' thread.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

I think it's fair for the posters to start with more respect based on longevity. I'm a noob in comparison.
    I like the idea of being able to give part of the available hammer.
    I am worried though. Does this mean that the whorns are going to start with green? And you won't let Lid change his avatar, right?
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    The spek was fine just the way it was. It almost seems like a concerted effort is underway to lessen the entertainment value of the board.
    I agree that it was fine the way it was....however, there was unfortunately a very concerted effort by a certain poster to abuse it. Now, this wasn't the first time this individual was engaged in abusing something involving the reputation feature. I almost view this as an 'entire class being punished for one student' kind of scenario in regards to it.

I think a bigger part of the problem is that we as users aren't necessarily policing ourselves as well as we could in regards to excesses.

I also haven't had much of an issue with people using the comment portion of reputation for putting in a comment that is relevant to the post itself. I don't however particularly care for the situations where a reputation comment is being used for abusive and threatening language toward the recipient, horn or not.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Quote Originally Posted by Beano's Fourth Chin
    True, they should have a lot of spek due to being around from the beginning, but someone newer that utilizes the board now should also get some benefit for being active. Therefore a balance of posts, longevity AND to a lesser extent, the number of positive reputations should be the calculation.

Can someone link to the threads where recommendations happened in the past?

And, if we reset it, it wouldn't necessarily go back to zero for everyone, we'd just re-calculate to be reflective of the new formula. You would lose a fair bit of the spek you've received, but folks like gdc and jk with a ton of posts and been here for a long time would start out having the biggest clubs.

Regarding negative not being able to post. How about:

A newb can start a new thread after 50 posts if he has positive reputation.
    A newb can start a new thread after 100 posts if he has negative reputation.

We can't lock someone out fully because that would get abused. Poor Nick.
    thats actually quite reasonable.........who are you?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Norm In Norman
    Oh, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I might be talked into changing some of you guys back to your original sign up date to help your <god I hate this stupid ****ing idiotic term> "Spek Hammer". to me, longevity should demand more reputation than post count. does anyone disagree that mosoon or oldsooner should have more rep power than their post counts let on?
    That would be summer of 2000 for me. Can't believe I haven't wore out my welcome in 6 years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

I don't remember when I joined!!!!! That's not fair

Change it to whatever you thinks works best.

And if someone complains, remind them that they are bitching about a imaginary number from a message board.

Man, we're nerds
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner

Man, I'm a nerd
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner

And if someone complains, remind them that they are bitching about a imaginary number from a message board.
    zactly....word yo

it kills me when i see people boasting about having more spek than somebody else.....if you're using spek to boost your self esteem or importance on the board, you've got bigger problems

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

I do have bigger problems but they are unrelated to this board.

www.ImsowhinnyIcan'tstandmyself.com
    helps me out regularly.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    zactly....word yo

it kills me when i see people boasting about having more spek than somebody else.....if you're using spek to boost your self esteem or importance on the board, you've got bigger problems
    can't argue with that, but a counter arguement would be that it's become an integral part of the board whether we like it or not.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    can't argue with that, but a counter arguement would be that it's become an integral part of the board whether we like it or not.
    And I'd counter that counter arguement by saying you, ScottyD, are ghey.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    And I'd counter that counter arguement by saying you, ScottyD, are ghey.
    the depths of your contributions are overwhelming

I shall counter by saying "That wasn't the particular feeling of your female parental unit as we got intimate this past night.

vCash

the depths of your contributions are overwhelming

I shall counter by saying "That wasn't the particular feeling of your female parental unit as we got intimate this past night.
    Oh no you di'int.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Oh no you di'int.
    I most certainly believe that colleyville did.

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

I agree that it was fine the way it was....however, there was unfortunately a very concerted effort by a certain poster to abuse it. Now, this wasn't the first time this individual was engaged in abusing something involving the reputation feature. I almost view this as an 'entire class being punished for one student' kind of scenario in regards to it.

I think a bigger part of the problem is that we as users aren't necessarily policing ourselves as well as we could in regards to excesses.

I also haven't had much of an issue with people using the comment portion of reputation for putting in a comment that is relevant to the post itself. I don't however particularly care for the situations where a reputation comment is being used for abusive and threatening language toward the recipient, horn or not.
    No, there are lots and lots of users that abuse it. Lots.

The policing comment is right on. Again, back in the "good ol' days" (which people always complain that we talk about) we were really really undermoderated but we didn't have near the fights we have now. Yes, there are more people now but back then the troublemakers got ran off with little moderator help. Now everyone complains so much about everything being fair that it's pretty hard to be fair AND ban a troublemaker.

vCash

Well I know there were lots of other abuses of it, but I was just naming the 3 or 4 most glaringly obvious abuses of it. The whole using it to get around being banned and making threats and/or derogatory comments toward other users is the other big abuse of it.

i realize that spek is an integral part of the board.....its a tool and i use it, but i try my best not to place any importance on what number i have or dont have

or how "big my hammer" is.....just silly to me

Brewmaster

vCash

i realize that spek is an integral part of the board.....its a tool and i use it, but i try my best not to place any importance on what number i have or dont have

Heh. Or the (at last count) two threads on the football board obsessing over the fact that KyleUT actually has green spek. If I was a mod, I'd move those threads to SO. Or better yet, to "Troubleshooting/Suggestions". Unfortunately, I don't have the power to annoy people willy-nilly.

I can manage to keep KyleUT solidly green just to **** 'em off, though. Sometimes I amuse myself.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Size matters, JK. Just ask the womens.