Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Reputation Feature

I noticed at least one thread about it on the SO.

Right now it's being tweaked so that it can actually be a useful feature on the board. At some point, it began being abused and right now, it's not really even useful other than sending a short message in lieu of a PM. The reputation points themselves have become meaningless.

There's a feature on the board that allows us to lock out noobs from starting a thread until they reach a certain reputation level and/or have a certain number of posts. This will almost eliminate spam threads, and will also allow noobs with good attitudes to advance.

Right now, we're playing with the calculations so that it becomes more in line with the way it was designed to be used. The default setting (and one that you can't change without digging deep into the php code) is that you get one green bar for every 100 points of reputation. We had folks that were able to give out 500 x that with one hit.

It's my opinion, that longevity and even total posts should have more of an impact than two new guys getting into a circle spekFest and jumping into the top 10 of reputation.

Right now, it's set so that you can give out 15 per day and can't hit the same person again until you give out 15 others. The calculation has also been changed to put more weight on #of posts and time on the board than on total amount of reputation that you have.

This shouldn't reduce drastically the amount that you can receive as I don't think most folks give out 15 per day anyway, but it will reduce the amount you can receive from any one person.

It's possible that the whole thing will need to start over at zero due to the inflated numbers that most folks have. Especially since it will put new people at a disadvantage as far as never ever being able to pass anyone on the ranking scale.

Your thoughts?

The goal here isn't to be mean, but simply to make the feature mean something and even use it as a way to make the board better for everyone.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Reputation Feature

I think this reeks of some suggestions made months back. And by reeks, I mean sounds good to impliment.

p.s. what kind of punishment will doleo get for his repeated abuse of it?
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Maybe we'll drop him into the Al Gore user group for a day or so.

Until we learned that we could actually use the feature to make the board better, especially for the new folks, it didn't matter that the numbers didn't mean anything. We just stumbled across promotions this last week and I'm kicking myself for not looking at them before.

What do you think is a good number of posts before a newb can start his/her own thread?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

the cruel part of me says 500, but the reasonable part says somewhere in the 50 to 100 range.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

i like spek for the simple use of sending a note rather than a PM...you could take away the points and i wouldnt care one bit

i'd rather the post count be done away with as well......and not because i have the highest, i just think its meaningless

"hey congrats, you hit 1000"...wtf? congrats for what? pounding away on a keyboard? i've just never understood it......

the stars denote the range of post count and i would guess longevity, for me thats plenty enough for "features"

100 for newbs

Brewmaster

vCash

Sounds good to me. Go for it, Beano.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

The spek was fine just the way it was. It almost seems like a concerted effort is underway to lessen the entertainment value of the board.

vCash

sounds good Beano... i think something was suggested about "promotion" a while back

and for the record... me and doleo didn't start the circlespek idea, just took it to another level

if this goes down, vBookie spek betting probably shouldn't ever be reinstated... those numbers should be separate

i'd agree with 100 as the "promotion" threshold as well, and maybe SO posts shouldn't count toward someone starting a thread in the Football forum, etc... if possible

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    i'd agree with 100 as the "promotion" threshold as well, and maybe SO posts shouldn't count toward someone starting a thread in the Football forum, etc... if possible
    Hmmm. somehow I 'm guessing that will be next-to-impossible to pull off. I don't know that it's entirely necessary, though. I mean, if you've got 100 posts on the SO, you probably know the board's personality well enough to risk starting a thread on the football forum.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 bigdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

im guilty of spekfesting. it sucks being at the bottom and it became an obsession wanting to move up as quickly as possible. i apologize for my part, cause in the end i abused i as much as the next guy. whatever changes are made works for me

50-100 for a newb
    when is one no longer a newb?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GHP
    Hmmm. somehow I 'm guessing that will be next-to-impossible to pull off. I don't know that it's entirely necessary, though. I mean, if you've got 100 posts on the SO, you probably know the board's personality well enough to risk starting a thread on the football forum.
    well i'm just shy of saying SO posts shouldn't count

vCash

I think your spek points should go back to zero once you go over 20,000 posts.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 etouffee's Avatar
    vCash

i really don't care about spek one way or the other. it's fun to get and give, but it wouldn't affect me in the slightest if it went away entirely.

having said that, i do think some sort of public explanation from the admins is in order prior to or concurrent with making changes to any commonly used board feature. having a bunch of users going "wtf???" because things aren't working today like they did yesterday... i'm not a fan of that scenario.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh yeah? Well OUR coach eats GRASS. Does yours? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    Absurdity is the only reality. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by gdc
    The spek was fine just the way it was. It almost seems like a concerted effort is underway to lessen the entertainment value of the board.
    well, we did discuss it at the meeting

i have never....and i mean NEVER, calculated how much spek somebody gave me.....for me to do that, i'd have to remember what i had at any given time

seriously, if you're paying that close attention to it........well, its not money for crying out loud, its a friggin cyberspace number that has ZERO meaning

just silly

vCash

6 months ago I wanted to use spek as the criteria for starting threads, i.e. people with red spek can't start one. This could (and would) probably be abused, but it would keep the dillholes from clogging up the board with useless posts. (At least consider implementing this around OU/texas week, so the horns can't start BS threads bashing OU. )

Otherwise, 100 posts seems logical to keep noobs from having their feelings hurt by starting new threads. They should know the SF.com workings by then.

Oh, and trying to reset spek would suck, IMO, but I'd get over it. Couldn't imagine having the same spek as Nick Zepp.

vCash

maybe people with negative reputation should have a higher flood control time

you know, like 24 hours

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

spek points dont matter to me, but the spek message is kinda cool. It's nice to know someone appreciates (or doesnt) some comment you made without clogging the thread up with a lovefest of "heh"'s.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

vCash

heh

YMSSRA