Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Employers: "Family Med. Leave Act"...Blessing or curse?

discuss.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Employers: "Family Med. Leave Act"...Blessing or curse?

great for the employee, but it would be bad for my operation. our head count is where it needs to be. i would be crippled if one left and would have to hire someone to take their place. then lay them off when employee comes back. The hiring and training cost is very high and would have to be done. So not so good for a small operation

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

Pure silliness. Most people can't afford to take 12 weeks off without pay. It's a typical liberal "touchy-feely" law that makes them look like they care without really solving any problems and in the process causing more. It's a headache for HR folks, it created more regulation and lawsuits, and it doesn't do the employees much good. "Gee, my wife and I just had a baby, can I take off work and not get paid for 3 months? That's just what we need!"

vCash

yeah, that is kinda what i think about it...

of course, what are you going to do, pay them for the time off? fire anyone that has a kid?

i'm sure it only applies to companies of a certain size though, right?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    yeah, that is kinda what i think about it...

of course, what are you going to do, pay them for the time off? fire anyone that has a kid?

i'm sure it only applies to companies of a certain size though, right?
    Yeah, the company has to have at least 50 employees.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BoogercountySooner's Avatar
    vCash

If you are a caregiver to a parent or other family member it can come in handy when you have to periodicaly take them to dr.'s appointments and hospital and such. I'm a person of authority where I work and it gives your employee's a piece of mind when one of life's challenges comes up.
    Booger Kills Deer and eatsem!

Excluding my husband and myself, we only have 4 employees. Each and every person has a totally different job than does the other. We can handle covering for someone for a week or so, as we are all multi taskers, but we wouldnt be able to properly function for longer than that without falling way behind. No two clinics are alike. I have hired people who have experience working in other clinics and it still took me at least 6 months to properly train them.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

WAY Madness, a BIG GOVERNMENT assault on American business that is totally WRONG! A constant reminder of the Clinton mentality.
    Last edited by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!; 5/6/2006 at 10:43 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUSAEmom
    Excluding my husband and myself, we only have 4 employees. Each and every person has a totally different job than does the other. We can handle covering for someone for a week or so, as we are all multi taskers, but we wouldnt be able to properly function for longer than that without falling way behind. No two clinics are alike. I have hired people who have experience working in other clinics and it still took me at least 6 months to properly train them.

that's why it wouldn't apply to you

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by william favor
    WAY Madness, a BIG GOVERNMENT assault on American business that is totally WRONG! A constant reminder of the Clinton mentality.
    I'm guessing you are also against people in the military reserve having their job protected by government regulation as well. Could this not also be wrongly surmised as an attack on American business?
    Boomer Sooner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerscuba
    I'm guessing you are also against people in the military reserve having their job protected by government regulation as well. Could this not also be wrongly surmised as an attack on American business?
    The difference is that no where in the constitution does it give Congress the power and authority to regulate an employee's vacation time. I don't think that the Family Medical Leave Act is quite what the framers had in mind when they envisioned a limited role for the Federal government.

Now, if this law were on the state level (and prior to the FMLA some states did have similar laws) then it might be a different matter.

As for the military, I would emphasize that service in defense of our nation is somewhat more of a federal priority then making sure some woman gets a week off to take her kid to the doctor for a runny nose.

vCash

But are both not a personal choice of where to place a commitment of time? The constitution also doesn't enumerate the power of agency, but I think we can all agree that Mississippi has no business designing nuclear safety regulations, but I digress. I think the government also has a strong interest in the growth or decline of population and making sure that children are taken care of when sick. Not to say that people would choose their job over the health of a child without such a measure, but I think it is in the best interest of the workforce to ensure that such choices are made somewhat pain free.
    Boomer Sooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerscuba
    But are both not a personal choice of where to place a commitment of time? The constitution also doesn't enumerate the power of agency, but I think we can all agree that Mississippi has no business designing nuclear safety regulations, but I digress. I think the government also has a strong interest in the growth or decline of population and making sure that children are taken care of when sick. Not to say that people would choose their job over the health of a child without such a measure, but I think it is in the best interest of the workforce to ensure that such choices are made somewhat pain free.
    regarding Congress' authority under the Constitution to do this sort of thing, its well settled since about 1937 that Congress can make such "necessary and proper" laws because they can be rationally linked to Congress' power to advance the notion of a happy and stable work force under the commerce clause. I admit its a stretch, but there it is.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by handcrafted
    Pure silliness. Most people can't afford to take 12 weeks off without pay. It's a typical liberal "touchy-feely" law that makes them look like they care without really solving any problems and in the process causing more. It's a headache for HR folks, it created more regulation and lawsuits, and it doesn't do the employees much good. "Gee, my wife and I just had a baby, can I take off work and not get paid for 3 months? That's just what we need!"

god forbid you ever find a need to use it, to find out that the company screws around with the way this time off is calculated which results in you losing your job.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Synopsis of Law

Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:
    • for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
    • for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
    • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
    • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
    Frequently Asked Questions

vCash

I'm not seeing the terms of employment as the business of government, and certainly not on the federel level, ala SicEm's suggestion. This law is intrusion, pure and simple. Govt. overstepping it's intended authority.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

yeah it's all fine and dandy until it affects you eh william ostrich?
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not seeing the terms of employment as the business of government, and certainly not on the federel level, ala SicEm's suggestion. This law is intrusion, pure and simple. Govt. overstepping it's intended authority.

Should the DOL should just ignore private businesses in all aspects or just this particular area?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    yeah it's all fine and dandy until it affects you eh william ostrich?
    HAHA. I don't think you have addressed the point. Intentionally?

vCash

So reservists should lose their job when they go to Iraq for a tour? I mean, it was a personal choice to join the military.
    Boomer Sooner