Awesoministrator

vCash

Re: Damnit Rhino

Kelly Gregg

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Jammal Brown has been moved over to left tackle this mini-camp.

Is that little girl his snack?

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

I still miss Kelly Gregg.

Oh, sorry - 'Buddy Lee'....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

SI had a picture of Mark Clayton suggesting a break out year for Mr. YAC.

The arrival of Steve McNair in Baltimore means second-year wide receiver Mark Clayton could be poised for huge season.

The Ravens love the second-year receiver out of Oklahoma, who is poised to take a big step forward now that Baltimore has acquired quarterback Steve McNair. Clayton had some big games with Kyle Boller throwing to him at the end of last year and should be more of a feature in the offense in 2006.

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

There are big things in store for Clayton...I can feel it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeSoonerGirl
    There are big things in store for Clayton...I can feel it.
    Lord you're a filthy woman.

KFFL

49ers | T. Smith missing from practice
    Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:35:20 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers TE Trent Smith (shoulder) is not practicing with the team while he rehabilitates from a torn rotator cuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers | T. Smith injured in NFL Europe
    Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:09:08 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers TE Trent Smith (knee) suffered a knee injury in NFL Europe that will keep him out of action for a long while.
    Saints | Brown adjusting to move to left tackle
    Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:48:41 -0700

Chris Pika, of NewOrleansSaints.com, reports New Orleans Saints OT Jammal Brown is projected to start at offensive left tackle during his sophomore season. Brown said the move has been going well but there are still some things he needs to learn about body positioning on the left side rather than the right side of the line. He's taking every opportunity he can to become more comfortable at the position, which will allow him to hit the ground running when training camp begins.
    Ravens | Rookie Chester looks good
    Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:47:48 -0700

Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens rookie OL Chris Chester is showing that he can be a weapon getting to the outside in front of RBs Jamal Lewis or Mike Anderson. "That's something that I really think plays to my strengths," said Chester. "I get a chance to be athletic, and pulling allows me to do that."
    Bears | Dvoracek expected to challenge I. Scott at nose tackle
    Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:02:28 -0700

Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears DL Dusty Dvoracek is expected to challenge DL Ian Scott for playing time at nose tackle.

Nice to hear about Moore.

Lions | Lehman questionable for the start of training camp
    Fri, 16 Jun 2006 05:37:45 -0700

Steve Pate, of The Daily Oakland Press, reports Detroit Lions LB Teddy Lehman (ankle, foot) is questionable to be ready for the start of training camp at the end of July.
    49ers | B. Moore leading at starting outside linebacker
    Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:32:20 -0700

Kevin Lynch, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports San Francisco 49ers LB Brandon Moore has overtaken LB Corey Smith as the team's starting left outside linebacker.
    Jets | Strait quietly has good minicamp
    Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:46:30 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, New York Jets CB Derrick Strait quietly had a good minicamp for the team.
    Browns | Competition for strong safety spot
    Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:39:06 -0700

Steve King, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports Cleveland Browns SS Brodney Pool and SS Sean Jones are in a battle for the starting strong safety spot opposite of FS Brian Russell.

Awesoministrator

vCash

TRRW sign extension with the Cowboys
    Dallas' Williams signs extension
    Pro Bowl safety to remain with 'Boys through 2010
    Updated: Wednesday August 2, 2006 2:52PM

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys signed Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams to a four-year contract extension Wednesday, locking up the hard-hitting run-stopper through the 2010 season.

Terms weren't immediately available.

"I am going to be a Cowboy for life," said Williams, the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2002 out of Oklahoma. "I'm staying here."

Williams, who turns 26 this month, had 81 tackles, three interceptions, 2 1/2 sacks and a touchdown last season.

He had a year left on his contract and would have become an unrestricted free agent after this season, but the new five-year deal replaces the 2006 year and adds four more.

Williams is the second player to sign a major extension in the past week or so. Tight end Jason Witten agreed to a seven-year, $29 million contract July 22. Owner Jerry Jones said more contract extensions are in the works.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Opportunity knocks for Perkins
    By Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
    August 3, 2006

Last year's rash of cornerback injuries in training camp opened the door for Leigh Bodden.

This year, with Daylon McCutcheon down and Bodden up to join Gary Baxter in the starting lineup, Romeo Crennel again called for someone in his deep but inexperienced pool of backup cornerbacks to step up.

Antonio Perkins is trying to answer Crennel's call.

A fourth-round pick a year ago who struggled to pick up the defense and played in just one game as a rookie, Perkins has been all over the field this week at training camp.

He's been intercepting passes, breaking them up and earning the praise of coaches and teammates while battling Pete Hunter and Daven Holly, among others, for the extra first and second-team reps that are available while McCutcheon is out.

"I know I have a great opportunity here," Perkins said. "I'm trying to show the coaches I'm capable of stepping in when they need me.

"I've had some good practices. Things are a lot more comfortable for me. I know the system better and I know where the play is going to be - it's more of reacting instead of wondering what's going to happen next."

Perkins said the biggest adjustment in his rookie season was learning the "complicated" 3-4 defensive system. He said thinking - and wondering - limited his ability to play fast and earn playing time. He never got ahead of more experienced players like Ray Mickens and Michael Lehan on the depth chart.

"It was frustrating, sure," Perkins said. "But I learned from guys like Baxter and McCutcheon. I just kept working. And I'm a lot more comfortable now.
    "I'm playing smarter now. I'm playing more physical. My confidence has helped me a lot, and I feel like I can keep going."

His confidence is evident, and he'll need to continue playing fast and smart as camp progresses.

"I like Perkins because you can tell his confidence is rising," Baxter said. "He understands the system. He understands what's expected of him. The more he makes plays, you can tell he's coming along each and every day."

"He's a competitor," Bodden said. "He told me he's been playing more relaxed and more confident, and that's what you need to play this position."

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

good info and good to hear!!

thanks..

Awesoministrator

vCash

Jets | Mangini likes D. Strait's versatility
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:55:44 -0700
    During his press conference, New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini likes the versatility CB Derrick Strait brings to the table. "The ability to play outside as a corner, inside as a substitute in nickel and dime packages and the ability to play safety. That versatility is something I really like in players. Derrick has done a good job with that. He had a good spring as well," said Mangini.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Lions | Lehman misses practice, still on PUP list
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:30:14 -0700
    Detroit Lions TE Teddy Lehman (foot) remains on the team's Physically Unable to Perform list and did not practice Wednesday, Aug. 2.

Ravens | Ivy working with first-team defense
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:37:25 -0700
    worked with the starting defense at cornerback in practice Wednesday, Aug. 2. Ivy replaced injured CB Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens CB Corey IvySamari Rolle (knee).

Ravens | Clayton misses practice
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:35:03 -0700
    Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens WR Mark Clayton (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday, Aug. 2.

Bears | Bradley held out Tuesday
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:32:50 -0700
    John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears WR Mark Bradley was given the day off practice Tuesday, August 1.

Chiefs | Bartee misses practice
    Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:13:56 -0700
    The Kansas City Star reports Kansas City Chiefs FS William Bartee (Achilles) missed practice Tuesday, August 1.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Lions | Lehman misses practice, still on PUP list
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:30:14 -0700
    Detroit Lions TE Teddy Lehman
    Did I miss something?

Awesoministrator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Grimey
    Did I miss something?
    FWIW, he's still listed as an LB on their official roster.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Browns | Perkins misses practice
    Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:19:32 -0700
    Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns CB Antonio Perkins (hamstring) did not practice Thursday, Aug. 3, due to a pulled hamstring.

Browns | Wilson impresses
    Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:18:50 -0700
    Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns rookie WR Travis Wilson had his best day of training camp Thursday, Aug. 3, with some eye-opening catches.

Chiefs | Wilkerson lines up in No. 1 goal line formation
    Thu, 3 Aug 2006 23:34:41 -0700
    The Kansas City Chiefs official training camp site reports Kansas City Chiefs DL Jimmy Wilkerson lined up as a fifth defensive lineman in the team's goal line formation during the afternoon practice Thursday, Aug. 3.

Awesoministrator

vCash

http://www.detroitlions.com/notebook.cfm
    FRIDAY, AUGUST 4
    The Lions sign DT Lynn McGruder.

Awesoministrator

vCash

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb...608040344/1006
    Jammal Brown, a former first-round pick out of Oklahoma, has been moved from right to left tackle to help protect Brees' blind side.

"I take that job real personally," Brown said. "We know the wrong hit on the wrong side can really hurt him. That's why this a serious job. One we've got to get done."

Awesoministrator

vCash

Saints' Brown hopes to follow greats
    JACKSON, Miss. — Before he’s finished with professional football 10 or 12 years from now, Jammal Brown would like to carve out a career like former New Orleans Saints’ All-Pro Willie Roaf.

Four times an All-Pro and a seven-time Pro Bowl pick in nine years with the Saints, Roaf left a lasting legacy when he asked to be traded following the 2001 season. He earned four more Pro Bowl berths with the Kansas City Chiefs before retiring last month.

Brown, a defensive tackle in high school and in his first season at the University of Oklahoma, learned all about Roaf’s accomplishments when the Saints made him their first-round pick in the 2005 draft. And he’s ready to follow in his giant footsteps after moving to left tackle this spring.

Like Brown, Roaf played right tackle as a rookie in 1993. One year later, the Saints switched him to the left side and he went to play in seven straight Pro Bowls — a streak that ended when he blew out his knee midway through the 2001 season.

“I never really knew who Willie Roaf was until I got to the Saints last year and I found out how good a player he was,” said Brown, the 2004 Outland Trophy winner as the top lineman in the nation. “I know he’s a very, very good player. He’s recognized as one of the best. Hopefully, I can have a career like him.”

After moving to the offensive side of the ball as a college sophomore, Brown said he started watching two of the more aggressive tackles in the NFL at that time — Philadelphia Eagles standout Jon Runyan and former Saints player Kyle Turley, particularly Turley.

“Kyle was a right tackle at the time and I wasn’t as big as some of the defensive guys that I was going against,” said Brown, who grew into a 6-foot-6, 313-pounder. “I saw how he played against some bigger guys.”

Brown later studied tape of St. Louis Rams’ All-Pro Orlando Pace, but said he really likes Seattle Seahawks tackle Walter Jones — who is widely regarded as the best in the business.

When told that Brown admires Jones, Saints coach Sean Payton quipped, “I like Walter Jones, too.”

“I wish I could spend a week with him and just learn a bunch of things,” Brown said of Jones. “He knows so much and he’s so good with his hands and feet. It just looks easy to him.”

Payton asked Brown to make the switch to the left side after three-year starter Wayne Gandy was traded to the Atlanta Falcons in early April. That’s a leap of faith most coaches wouldn’t have made with a second-year player, considering the left tackle goes against the other team’s best pass-rusher.

While Payton would love to eventually see Brown develop into the type of dominating player Jones is, he’ll settle for having him anchor his new-look offensive line. Then again, protecting the back side of new quarterback Drew Brees is also a priority.

“I’m starting to feel a lot more comfortable with it,” said Brown. “It’s a learning experience for me, but left tackle isn’t an issue any more. The main thing is getting the footwork down and being sound with my technique.

“The biggest difference is that I’m going to be facing faster, more athletic guys coming from the right end,” he said. “I’m seeing guys with a lot more speed now.”

Starting with training camp practices. When the first-team offense goes against the first-team defense, Brown has to take on starting right defensive end Will Smith. With 16 sacks in his first two seasons, the 282-pound Smith brings lots of speed off the edge.

“He’s done well, he’s done everything that we’ve asked of him,” Payton said of Brown. “There are some technique things he’s picking up on, but I think the transition so far has been what he expected. There are some stance issues and some technique issues that become habit forming, and that’s really what he’s worked on. That’s been encouraging.”

Brown said he remembers what was said when Payton told him about the switch to the left side and there wasn’t much dialogue.

“Coach Payton said, ‘You’re playing left tackle,’” Brown said with a laugh. “That was it, plain and simple.”

At the same time, Payton’s short and sweet message spoke volumes. Immediately, it told him something about his ability and what the new coaching staff expects from him this season.

“I’m not going to back down from a challenge,” Brown said. “That’s where they want me to play, that’s where they’re paying me to play. There was no argument, no nothing. I just wanted to get in there as soon as possible.”

While some young players might feel the pressure of being put in such an important and demanding position, Brown isn’t fazed.

“There’s no pressure on me,” he said. “It doesn’t matter if they put me at center. The job’s the same, I don’t want anybody to touch my quarterback.”

i dont care what you people say about Rhino - he's the best!