Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Damnit Rhino

vCash

Re: Damnit Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeSoonerGirl
    Oh, I meant for sewing the legs up, hanging and storing your onions in. Not for actual wearing.

Heh, she said Storing your Onions
    If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad; if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." - John F. Kennedy

Awesoministrator

vCash

Chester Gains Weight, Draft Stock
    By Joe Platania, Press Box Staff

In just about any sport you can name, many draft picks are made with regard to a player's upside.

For Chris Chester, he was taken because of his backside.

Chester, a center from Oklahoma taken with the Ravens' second-round pick in last month's draft (56th overall), was a highly-touted scholastic tight end before redshirting with the Sooners, recovering from a knee injury and putting on 60 pounds to play both right guard and center in his senior year.

As a result, his offensive line resume is rather limited with just seven senior-year starts at a time when the Ravens' aging trench players need reinforcements.

But, thanks to the Sooners' strength and conditioning staff and a lot of time in the weight room -- and some rather unorthodox meal choices -- the 6-foot-3, 305-pound Chester feels the late switch won't hamper his development, which begins this weekend when the team invites approximately 25 players to a three-day, rookie-only minicamp at the Owings Mills complex.

"Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches," Chester said of his weight-gain program. "And chocolate protein shakes.

"We have a great program at Oklahoma. I'm sure [Ravens linebacker] Dan Cody and [receiver] Mark Clayton will attest to that. [Workout director] Jerry Schmidt, he works us out well and that's who I worked out with here at school when I was training for the [Indianapolis scouting] combine and [on-campus] Pro Day."

The Ravens know how the Oklahoma routine goes, having taken six Sooners in their 11 drafts: Chester, Clayton, Cody, defensive lineman Martin Chase, tackle Sammy Williams and tight end Trent Smith.

Add to that list such free agents as nose tackle Kelly Gregg, backup linebacker Tyrell Peters and reserve guard Ben Cavil, and that makes nine products from a program that has been one of the nation's elite for as long as anyone can remember.

Oklahoma still holds the record for the nation's longest unbeaten streak (47 games, 1953-57) and has won or shared seven national championships, most recently in 2000.
    Former Oklahoma assistant and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was understandably pleased with Chester's acquisition.

"It doesn't get much better than that," he said. "I was like, 'My gosh, we're taking an offensive lineman.' I was watching his clips and thought, 'This guy's pretty good.'"

Chester, a 23-year-old political science major, came to the Sooner program as a heavily-recruited tight end; the Tustin, Calif., product was ranked the eighth-best tight end prospect in the country by Rivals.com even while playing defensive end. He also played basketball and threw the discus for the school's outdoor track team.

After a few years fighting through the Oklahoma depth chart as a backup tight end and battling a 2003 knee injury as well, Chester began his PBJ regimen. But he also put his athleticism to work in the weight room and on the field as he began the transition to interior line play.

"[Playing tight end] helped me because going in, I had a certain quickness," he said. "I was able to get in good position. I had to get my hands and feet in good position to help me make blocks and also blocking out in space by pulling on screens."

Chester started four games at right guard and three at center as Oklahoma's offense rolled up 355 yards per game in the always-tough Big 12 Conference. Even though his experience inside wasn't all that extensive, it was enough to get him rated 41st among all draft prospects by Mel Kiper and 71st overall by Pro Football Weekly.

Ohio State's Nick Mangold, a late first-round New York Jets pick, was the only other center rated higher than Chester, whose stock outshone that of Outland Trophy winner Greg Eslinger (Minnesota), who lasted until the sixth round when he was taken by the Denver Broncos.

His 4.88 40-yard dash time, 31.5-inch vertical jump and 27 bench-press repetitions (at the standard 225-pound weight) didn't hurt, either, as the Ravens had him rated highly enough on their draft board to select him in the second round.

Chester will be one of several young offensive linemen, such as tackles Adam Terry and Tony Pashos and guards Jason Brown and Brian Rimpf, counted upon to resuscitate a unit that has come under fire for not opening running lanes or protecting quarterbacks nearly as well in recent seasons.

"We think he can play [center and guard]," Ravens college scouting director Eric DeCosta said of Chester, citing his weight gain and athleticism.

"He's getting bigger, he's getting stronger," DeCosta continued. "We hope he can play both positions. We're very happy to have him."

Despite his past glories at a high-profile program, Chester understands that he's entering another level entirely.

"As far as the NFL goes, I know nothing is set in stone," he said. "I would imagine that I'd get a chance to come in and compete. But I just want an opportunity to play more than anything."

DeCosta thinks the man with the bigger backside will get his chance.

"We like his upside," he said.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

Finally someone who NEEDED PB&J for his career. I love it!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Chris Chester is a bad mofo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLB
    Chris Chester is a bad mofo.
    Amen. He's awesome.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Ravens | Team's draft class had average Wonderlic score of 24
    Sun, 14 May 2006 13:26:25 -0700
    Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the players the Baltimore Ravens drafted in the 2006 NFL Draft is one of the team's sharpest in their draft history. The average Wonderlic score for their players was a 24, six points higher than the average of all college prospects from this year.

Chiefs | Q. Griffin will participate in first minicamp
    Sat, 13 May 2006 10:59:37 -0700
    Rick Dean, of the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Quentin Griffin will compete in the team's minicamp this weekend.

Chiefs | Bartee will participate in first minicamp
    Sat, 13 May 2006 10:59:21 -0700
    Rick Dean, of the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs FS William Bartee will compete in the team's minicamp this weekend.

Titans | B. Jones attempting to be ready for training camp
    Sat, 13 May 2006 10:32:42 -0700
    Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans WR Brandon Jones (knee) is shooting to be ready for training camp as he recovers from ACL surgery.

Jaguars | Ingram a no-show due to graduation
    Sat, 13 May 2006 10:03:53 -0700
    Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars LB Clint Ingram was a no-show Friday, May 12, due to his school's graduation. He is expected to join in drills Saturday, May 13.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Ravens | Chester able to attend one practice session
    Mon, 15 May 2006 06:38:08 -0700
    Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens rookie OL Chris Chester, who missed the first day of minicamp because of his graduation from the University of Oklahoma, flew in Sunday, May 14, and participated in the afternoon practice.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Tommie Harris goes to E3 Convention (RealMedia)

Pretty funny clip. Plays DDR and challenges Fatality.

And, now my new avatar.

Awesoministrator

vCash

There was one new face at the afternoon session: Chris Chester, the Ravens' second-round pick. He graduated from Oklahoma on Saturday, hopped on a 6:30 a.m. flight and came directly to the Ravens' facility. Chester had just finished his physical and received his equipment before he suited up for practice. For a former tight end that only saw one season of significant time on the interior offensive line, he looked pretty good. Heck, he looked good for a career offensive lineman. The 6-3, 305-pound Chester is very quick out of his stance and aggressive. A lot of draft analysts said that he wasn't big enough, but he really does have the thickness to be a roadblock on the line and can even add more to his frame.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Tommie Harris goes to E3 Convention (RealMedia)

Pretty funny clip. Plays DDR and challenges Fatality.

And, now my new avatar.
    That was greatness.
    Well, crap.

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

'...can you shut your mouth?...'

Heh. He's funny.

And BIG.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

And BAD.
    Well, crap.

Adminstrator of PAIN
    vCash

And CRAPS HELMETS!

Awesoministrator

vCash

Titans | Fuller might rank ahead of Woolfolk as nickel back
    Mon, 15 May 2006 18:31:49 -0700
    looks to rank ahead of CB Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans FS Vincent Fuller looks to rank ahead of Andre Woolfolk as the team's nickel back. The move would mean Woolfolk ranks behind CBs Adam Jones, Reynaldo Hill and Fuller.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Ravens | C. Chester practices for first time
    Mon, 15 May 2006 21:17:05 -0700
    Mike Duffy, of BalitmoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens OL Chris Chester practiced for the first time Sunday, May 14, after missing the team's first three practices due to his college graduation. Chester was impressive in his limited action at rookie camp and director of college scouting Eric DeCosta said, "I think people that saw him were impressed with the way he moved around. He's got unbelievable athletic skills. He has very, very quick feet; he's explosive off the ball. He's a guy that I wish I had a chance to see more of this weekend, because he graduated this weekend, but what we saw today was very impressive."

vCash

Titans | Fuller might rank ahead of Woolfolk as nickel back
    Mon, 15 May 2006 18:31:49 -0700
    looks to rank ahead of CB Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans FS Vincent Fuller looks to rank ahead of Andre Woolfolk as the team's nickel back. The move would mean Woolfolk ranks behind CBs Adam Jones, Reynaldo Hill and Fuller.
    that blows
    Jon
    NCAA 2004 RedRiver Shootout Champion [ps2]
    The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt

Hillbilly Queen

vCash

Ravens | C. Chester practices for first time
    Mon, 15 May 2006 21:17:05 -0700
    Mike Duffy, of BalitmoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens OL Chris Chester practiced for the first time Sunday, May 14, after missing the team's first three practices due to his college graduation. Chester was impressive in his limited action at rookie camp and director of college scouting Eric DeCosta said, "I think people that saw him were impressed with the way he moved around. He's got unbelievable athletic skills. He has very, very quick feet; he's explosive off the ball. He's a guy that I wish I had a chance to see more of this weekend, because he graduated this weekend, but what we saw today was very impressive."
    Awesome.

Awesoministrator

vCash

The crisp and high-spirited nature of the practice was a testament to the good feelings every player and coach in attendance had for the start of a new campaign.

"It's exciting to get back into it," said wide receiver Mark Clayton. "It's another fresh start."

Clayton, in his second year with the Ravens, has been a regular at the team's offseason training program. With regards to the OTAs, he thinks that the more players who come out, the better. "There's a new team with new chemistry, and I'm just looking forward to just bonding with these guys," he continued. "Hopefully, we'll have even better chemistry than we had last year and we can take it another step."

Awesoministrator

vCash

Graduating to the NFL
    5/17/06
    By Ryan Robinson

Clint Ingram was in a bind. His dream of being drafted by an NFL team had been fulfilled when the Jacksonville Jaguars drafted him in the third round on April 29, but there was something more pressing on the horizon. With the Jaguars opening mini-camp last Friday, Ingram also had an important obligation on his schedule for the same day: His college graduation.

The date of the graduation had been on his schedule for months and he was waiting to find out his new NFL home. He knew the possibility of a conflict existed. When it was decision time, he thought it would be best to head to Jacksonville.

“I told everybody in my family that I wasn't going to walk and I was coming down here (Jacksonville),” Ingram said. “My mom said, ‘You're not going to walk?' I just told her that I didn't know. If I can't because I have a job now, then I have to do it. I just knew I had to do whatever I had to do.”

His decision was made easier with a phone call to Jaguars Head Coach Jack Del Rio.

I asked Coach (Del Rio) if it would be okay for me to walk,” Ingram said. “Coach Del Rio was real considerate about the whole situation. He congratulated me and told me to take care of everything down there. He just told me to get down here when I can and we would have plenty of time to get me caught up.”

Ingram's parents had preached since he arrived at Oklahoma in 2001 to remember that football came second to an education. He fulfilled their wishes with a degree in sociology-criminology.

“My mom and dad have been telling me that for a while,” Ingram said. “Football is one thing, but they wanted to make sure I had my education. That is what I went to college for. I was on a football scholarship and it was an opportunity for me to get my education. My family always tells me that you can always hurt your legs or your arms.”

Ingram, dressed in cap and gown, attended the graduation on Friday evening. The keynote speaker was television personality Katie Couric. After initially being hesitant, Ingram gave Couric rave reviews.

“She was a real good speaker,” Ingram said. “At first, I thought it's going to be another long speaker at graduation. I didn't know who she was. We had already gone through this long, stressful time leading up to it. She started out with a bunch of jokes and got everyone's attention.”

Ingram didn't arrive home until 11 p.m. following graduation and had stay up all night getting ready for his early morning flight to Jacksonville on Saturday. He was going to miss the Saturday morning practice, but would be in time for the afternoon session.

He packed all his clothes and left everything else behind. He figured out a way to check three bags on the plane and carry on two. He was saying goodbye to his college home as he is planning on staying in Jacksonville until offseason workouts end on July 14.

“I left everything,” Ingram said. “Everything I own I have down here in Jacksonville with me. I told my friends that they could go in my room and anything you want or see, you can have it.”

Ingram didn't take the field for the first time until Saturday afternoon. As expected, it was a little overwhelming at times.

“I really didn't know anything,” Ingram said. “I know coverages. I know quarters, cover-two and cover-three. I got out there and Coach (Mark Duffner) threw me in there and walked me through what my landmark was, what my responsibilities were. I was basically out there running around like a chicken with my head cut off.”

Ingram, the fourth-highest linebacker drafted by the Jaguars, is the first Oklahoma player ever drafted by the team. He started 22 of 46 games and was named All-Big Twelve Conference second-team as a senior.

The Jaguars lost last year's starting linebacker, Akin Ayodele, in free agency to Dallas so a position is open. Ingram wants to spend the next few months getting acclimated to the system and letting everything else play out.

“That is out of my hands,” Ingram said. “I am just going to go out there and give it everything I've got. Go one hundred miles an hour and do whatever I can to put myself in the position to play. If it was my decision, it would be different. But it isn't my decision. It's coaches' decision. They have been doing this longer than I have been born so they know what they're doing. They know who they want out there and how they want it done. I'm just going to give it all I got.”

For the next few months, Ingram will participate in the OTAs with the rest of team and get himself ready for training camp.

“I want to try to get the playbook all the way down,” Ingram said. “I want to study and know all the terminology, all the schemes, what the defensive tackles have to do, what the ends have to do, what everybody on the field is doing on every play. If I can get in it for a couple of hours every day then I will be good.”

While he is now settled in a local Jacksonville hotel, Ingram looks back at the experience and really appreciates Del Rio's consideration.

“I knew that I would be behind when I came in,” Ingram said. “When I got here, I told Coach (Del Rio) how happy I was he had let me go and graduate. He told me that was a big deal. For Coach to understand that and not be mad means a lot. He could have been mad and said I had a job now. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate him letting me do that.”

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Chet has a really tall head.