vCash

Catching up with Peter Gardere

gdc, this is not for you.

UT's Peter Gardere was the perfect 10
    With four wins against OU, he now hooks 'em as Austin businessman

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2406426.html

09:44 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 2, 2006
    By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Peter Gardere, the only starting quarterback on either side of the Texas-Oklahoma football rivalry to win four straight games in the series, still gets recognized around Austin.

The double takes occur when he's jogging on the city's most popular hike-and-bike trail at Town Lake with his dog, Buddy. Or when he's leasing commercial office space for Stratus Properties or out enjoying the nightlife as a single 36-year-old.

Gardere, who spent more than a year assisting a group of NFL agents in 2004 and 2005 before deciding it wasn't for him, jokes how Texas may now be getting ready to retire the No. 10 jersey he wore for the Longhorns.

"If they retire No. 10, I'll be able to honestly say to my kids one day, 'I wore it,' " Gardere said, referring to the number most recently worn by Vince Young, last season's national title game MVP. "Of course, I will have had nothing to do with it being retired. Vince Young had more talent in his right ankle than I had in my whole body."

Gardere went 25-16 as a starter from 1989 to 1992 and also played the outfield for then-baseball coach Cliff Gustafson for three seasons. It would have been four but John Mackovic, who replaced David McWilliams as football coach, demanded Gardere give up baseball the spring before his senior season.

File
    Peter Gardere went 25-16 as the starter at UT. "Mackovic told me the starter would be determined by what he saw in practice," Gardere said. "And he meant it. He charted every single pass we threw in practice."

After finishing up his career at Texas, Gardere gave pro football a try – as a punter. Gardere was an all-state punter at Robert E. Lee High School in Houston. He got a training camp invitation with the Seattle Seahawks.

He was beaten out by Rick Tuten, who became a Pro Bowl player. But two days after being cut by Seattle, Gardere was punting for the Sacramento Gold Miners of the Canadian Football League. That gig lasted two seasons before he landed with the CFL's Memphis franchise in 1995.

"It wasn't glamorous, and I'll never forget punting in 5-degree weather in Winnipeg," Gardere said. "I literally melted part of my shoe in that game trying to keep my feet warm next to our propane heater on the sideline."

Gardere knew it was time to give up football after his father, George (nicknamed Pete), died from cancer two months after being diagnosed and after Gardere was cut by the New Orleans Saints in training camp in 1996.

The youngest of four children (two sisters and a brother), Gardere went back to Houston to help his mother, Nancy, recover from the family's loss.

"My dad was my best friend," Gardere said, fighting back tears. "He was my everything."

Gardere's mother and sisters give him a hard time about being single because they want to make sure there's a "fourth generation Longhorn football player" in the family.

Peter Gardere and his dog Buddy are a familiar sight on Austin's Town Lake running trail.

Gardere's grandfather, George, played quarterback at Texas in 1922, and his father, George Jr., broke his neck as a Texas defensive back on the first play of the first game he played in his sophomore year in 1953. His dad never played football again, but he served as Gardere's mentor.

ERICH SCHLEGEL / DMN
    Peter Gardere and his dog Buddy are a familiar sight on Austin's Town Lake running trail. Gardere returned to Austin in late 1997 and worked as James Van Der Beek's stunt double in the movie Varsity Blues. He then took a job with Stratus Properties leasing commercial real estate. In 2004, he went to work for Capital Sports & Entertainment in Austin, helping to recruit pro prospects to the group's three NFL agents. After a year and a half, he returned to working for Stratus.

"As Mack Brown says, 'Being an agent is a hard job for an honest man,' " Gardere said. "There's rules and regulations to being an agent but not a lot of people follow them."

Last year, Gardere and former Texas linebacker Brian Jones started the 10/60 Club at Fullmore Middle School in Austin. The club helps kids with attendance, attitude and grade issues by giving them incentives to improve, including meeting Texas football players and taking tours of the UT football complex.

"Austin and the University of Texas have given me a lot," Gardere said. "So I'm trying to give back."

E-mail [email protected]

"Pete Week" topped all hardships
    Peter Gardere has never been afraid of rejection.

"I've been booed by 80,000 people, and those were our fans," the former Texas quarterback said with a laugh. "Nothing compares to that."

Gardere said he had 26 derogatory messages on his answering machine after Texas lost to TCU, 23-14, in 1992, ending a 24-game win streak against the Horned Frogs dating to 1968.

"My parents even had to change their phone number," Gardere said.

But what Gardere is remembered for most is what he did on the second Saturday in October from 1989 to 1992, beating Oklahoma four straight times – 28-24, 14-13, 10-7 and 34-24. Gardere downplays the feat.

"I didn't do it myself," he said. "We had some low-scoring games where the defense did everything, and we didn't do much on offense at all."

Gardere's most distinct memory was the chants of "Graduate! Graduate!" from Sooners fans after the 1992 game. Gardere gets calls from reporters every year during the week leading up to the Texas-OU game.

"My friends jokingly call it 'Pete Week,' " he said.

OU fans finally got a measure of revenge when Gardere went to Norman, Okla., with the UT baseball team in 1992. He dropped a fly ball in left field, and OU fans moved to an area behind the outfield fence and heckled him the rest of the game.

"I never heard so many things about my mother that day," Gardere said. "The only thing they said that can be printed in a newspaper was that I should stick to football."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Re: Catching up with Peter Gardere

Uh, it's not for anyone on this site. No one here really cares what he's doing now.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow
    vCash

Yet another success story for my New Orleans Saints.

Texas Bites.
    I got a bad mustache
    a recurring rash
    and not a lot of cash.
    I spend it on my stash.
    Man it's good to be a geek!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    A better idea would be for posters to stop being cockgobbling dooshrockets for the sport of it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Herr Scholz's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    Uh, it's not for anyone on this site. No one here really cares what he's doing now.
    You didn't like Varsity Blues? C'mon.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Herr...Nobody gives a **** what YOUR manlove homeboy is up to. In case you hadn't notice...this is a SOONER BOARD!!!!

You saxeT pricks really have a sense of belonging over here don't you.

Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

"The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

That article sucks. I got bored after the third or fourth paragraph. They talk of retiring his number? His ONLY accomplishment was beating OU, how aggy-like.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron
    That article sucks. I got bored after the third or fourth word. They talk of retiring his number? His ONLY accomplishment was beating OU, how aggy-like.
    fixed
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron
    They talk of retiring his number? His ONLY accomplishment was beating OU, how aggy-like.
    Not his number anymore. We'd be retiring Vince's number.

Texas may now be getting ready to retire the No. 10 jersey..."Of course, I will have had nothing to do with it being retired. Vince Young had more talent in his right ankle than I had in my whole body."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Go stick your head in a wood chipper.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Desert Sapper's Avatar
    Leavenworth...in a metaphorical prison...
    vCash

"I've been booed by 80,000 people, and those were our fans," the former Texas quarterback said with a laugh. "Nothing compares to that."

Gardere said he had 26 derogatory messages on his answering machine after Texas lost to TCU, 23-14, in 1992, ending a 24-game win streak against the Horned Frogs dating to 1968.
    That says it all right there. At least in Norman there would be a dead dog or skunk on his door step. And you call yourselves fans...pffffffftt.
    PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY
    !بومر سونر

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Sapper
    That says it all right there. At least in Norman there would be a dead dog or skunk on his door step. And you call yourselves fans...pffffffftt.
    Well in all fairness to us, he really sucked when he wasn't playing you guys.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

He used to post here, a long time ago.

vCash

that's gotta be the nicest thing gdc has ever said about a wh0rn

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    that's gotta be the nicest thing gdc has ever said about a wh0rn
    He's getting soft

Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSoonerinFla
    He's getting soft
    He's on double secret probation.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
    Go stick your head in a wood chipper.
    Heh! Don't sugar coat it now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

I've got your double-secret right here, .

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Scholz
    You didn't like Varsity Blues? C'mon.
    The whipped cream bikini was alright.
    Metaphors be with you!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Desert Sapper's Avatar
    Leavenworth...in a metaphorical prison...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Skysooner
    The whipped cream bikini was alright.
    Ali Larter...Mmmm. Talk about a tasty dessert.
    PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY
    !بومر سونر