Thread: Hey Scout...

party pooper
    vCash

Hey Scout...

Apparently, theres a senator that liked one of your ideas...

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...14AE3A091D7%7D

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- With energy prices skyrocketing, lawmakers considered a bill Thursday that would offer more than $100 million in prize money to developers of technologies that would move the oil-dependent U.S. economy toward a hydrogen energy base.
    Sponsored by Rep. Bob Inglis, R-S.C., the legislation was the focus of a hearing at the House Science Committee. The measure would create three prize categories ranging from $1 million to $100 million to spur inventors to overcome the technical barriers to a widespread commercialization of hydrogen as an energy source.
    granted, the nature of this would have the government doing what you proposed instead of energy businesses, but in essence, it's the same thing.

sort of.

This proposed legislation makes the assumption that hydrogen IS the wave of the future, which I kind of understand, because the number of hurdles there are to clear in order to make hydrogen the transportable fuel of choice are far fewer than for other fuels. So I can live with that assumption, but in reality, for something like this, I'd prefer to see that restriction removed.

Anyway, I thought you might like to know.

vCash

Re: Hey Scout...

Hydrogen kinda scares me

i also don't see how you cheaply get Hydrogen either

party pooper
    vCash

Re: Hey Scout...

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    Hydrogen kinda scares me

i also don't see how you cheaply get Hydrogen either
    well, the current ideas for cheap production of hydrogen are very very long term.

Basically, it requires a HUGE infrastructure investment in the first place. Production plants, pipelines, and new energy sources. Creating it with oil is a bit of a waste of energy...you wind up losing energy. BUT, creating it with renewable energy like wind, solar, hydrodynamic, geothermal, or even nuclear power suddenly makes it attractive, primarily because it provides a vector to take those forms of energy and transform them to something that can be used in your car or transported and sold to other nations.

So really the problem with implementing a 'hydrogen economy' is three fold. A) What do you power it with? B) Where do you store it? and C) Does the infrastructure nessecary (ie, power grids, pipelines, trucks and ships capable of transporting it) exist?

So far, all 3 of these questions have 'theoretical' answers that still require quite a bit more work to make a nation-wide system work. I mean, we know HOW to do all this stuff. We just don't yet know how to do it all cheaply and seamlessly.