Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Southpark got censored...

Fear works I guess.

vs

(CNSNews.com) - As Christians around the world prepare for Easter, magazine readers in Germany were confronted this week by full-page advertisements depicting Jesus, wearing a crown of thorns but descended from the cross, enjoying a television program.

"Laughing rather than hanging around," (Lachen statt rumhaengen) reads the tagline of the ad, which has drawn strong protests in Germany, where two-thirds of the population identifies as Christian.

The ad promotes MTV's plan to broadcast a cartoon lampooning the pope and Vatican hierarchy. The series, Popetown, was considered too controversial to be aired in Britain, and it caused an uproar in the one country where it has appeared, New Zealand.
    &

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBu...20060413b.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Southpark got censored...

Pussies.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

South Park' Creators Skewer Own Network

By DAVID BAUDER
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, April 13, 2006; 6:14 PM

NEW YORK -- Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy _ in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians _ instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041301002.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

South Park sucks.........I don't care how funny it is.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Don't really feel like taking the bait on this one. I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
    Don't really feel like taking the bait on this one. I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow.
    why not you'd rather watch 2 gay cowboys instead of Jesus, and you blame Bush for all that's wrong in your life. Jump in any time.

vCash

Not meant to be bait JM. Just amazed that a network that prides itself on mocking everything and profiting off of free speech is showing little spine and appeasing Muslims now.

I would be surprised if Muslims even make up 1% of their viewership!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba
    Not meant to be bait JM. Just amazed that a network that prides itself on mocking everything and profiting off of free speech is showing little spine and appeasing Muslims now.

I would be surprised if Muslims even make up 1% of their viewership!
    even less a true Muslim wouldn't watch

vCash

The show is very funny, but they are pushing their luck by calling out Comedy Central.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jeremy885's Avatar
    vCash

What is Comedy Central going to do, cancel them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetdigger
    Given that 90% + of the comments on this board are not serious, I think that the true error is to assume that someone IS serious when they make a comment. Rather, assuming they were NOT serious should be the bias. The fabric of the board is really not too complex

vCash

did any of you guys actually see it?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

I did. both episodes. not their best work to date.
    one day

vCash

the shots at Family Guy were pretty funny

i wasn't sure if it was just a joke or not

that and the beginning of the 2nd episode were classic South Park

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

I find it difficult to care about anything Parker and Stone have to say.

The first few episodes of the show were funny. After that, it got (in order): a) old, b) annoying, c) not funny, and d) offensive on purpose with no redeeming value.

I did try to give the BLU movie a chance, but I turned it off about 2/3 of the way through. The "blame Canada" stuff was pretty choice, though. That's the problem with these "shock value" comedies (which tend to be cartoons for some reason). They start off with a novel idea but it soon wears off and then all the writers can do to keep their ratings up is be more and more offensive and more and more controversial, until that's all that's left, and actual decent story writing goes out the window.

vCash

[rant]
    I don't get why this country has started to pander to Islam and to Muslims in general. Sure I get equality, I get freedom of religion, and I more than understand the concepts as a core tenet to what this country has become.

However, at some point, you have to go WHAT THE ****! There is a free pass to mock Christianity, Hare Krishna, Buddhism, Scientology. That is 100% acceptable and there seems to be little concern shown about who is or is not "offended." Yet when it comes to Islam, the situation could not be more to the opposite. There is such a coddling concern that we not mock Islam, that we not "offend" Muslims. Yet every other religion is fair game.

Showing a black screen instead of a mocking image of Mohammed or refusing to rebroadcast footage of 911 isn't going to stop Muslims from blowing **** up and killing people. It's what they do, because at it's what Allah commands them to do in the Koran. Don't believe me, read the book like I have. Religion of peace my ***.

And don't hand me the tired counterpoint of "well, Christianity this and Christianity that." I'm not comparing religions or religious texts here.

Burying our heads in the asses of Muslims isn't going to stop Muslim violence. Period, end of story.

"There, I said it."
    [/rant]

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 handcrafted's Avatar
    vCash

I agree with everything Veritas just said.

But I'll also add that there is a coddling concern that we not come anywhere close to offending Jews, either.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by handcrafted
    I agree with everything Veritas just said.

But I'll also add that there is a coddling concern that we not come anywhere close to offending Jews, either.
    Have you actually seen an episode of SP? They make fun of Jews all the time.

I know that you are talking about more than just SP but they hammer everyone except now they can't show pictures of Mohammed.

I think SP is one of the best written shows on TV. Sure it is offensive but the stories, IMO, are well thought out and deal with real issues in American society. Then again, I'm legally retarted.
    one day

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by usmc-sooner
    why not you'd rather watch 2 gay cowboys instead of Jesus, and you blame Bush for all that's wrong in your life. Jump in any time.
    Neither Jesus nor gay cowboys appeal to me.

I don't blame W for all that's wrong in my life.

I was tired last night, now that I have the dark hot goodness in a mug on my desk you're doomed!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    Then again, I'm legally retarted.
    True dat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack
    Neither Jesus nor gay cowboys appeal to me.

I don't blame W for all that's wrong in my life.

I was tired last night, now that I have the dark hot goodness in a mug on my desk you're doomed!

Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
    one day