Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Like Two Ships Passing in the Night........

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride
    Calling Blake flexible is a bit of a misnomer... That's like calling water stretchy.
    Blake was flexible. But in all the wrong ways. My point was simply that flexibility isn't an inherently good thing. Sometimes being rigid is better. But most of the time, in sports, it depends on the talent.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Not really, she's just had two complete studs that make her look good. Without Dales, and without Paris, Coale has had seasons that more closely resemble Kelvin's.
    Note to Kelvin, you're responsible for recruiting and retention.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stanley1's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Note to Kelvin, you're responsible for recruiting and retention.

Yeah, b/c there is no luck or chance involved in recruiting at all.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

You just can't give a coach a pass on talent, like they have no control over it.

We didn't with Stoops and his crew last year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
    They had more possessions cause we turned the ball over a brazillion times. We throttled them cause they shot like crap.
    That was my exact point. They shot like crap partly because they were defending Sophia Young so well. They had more possessions because we had 30+ turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr
    I don't know about that. Kelvin definitely has his flaws, but he has always been known as a coach that gets every last drop out of the talent he has (until recently). An overachiever, if you will. The Final Four team's best player is an average NBA player, I would THINK (I'm no expert, obviously) that Paris would be equivelent to an NBA lottery choice.

I am NOT saying Sherri is not a good coach, she is, I'm just saying I don't think it's as cut dried as you made it out to be that she's a better coach than Kelvin. Judging him on the very recent past, yes......but not on the whole. Not yet anyway.
    I know it isn't cut and dried, but the adjustments this year just didn't seem to be there. It could have been a lack of talent at point guard (running off a starting PG will do that for you) or just a lack of basketball IQ. However this year, I didn't see us our team playing as hard as a Kelvin team usually does. Our high screen that used to allow Hollis a quick look at the basket wasn't crisp at all. Our guards were taking bad lines around screens and the big men (besides Kevin) had a hard time catching the entry pass.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    You just can't give a coach a pass on talent, like they have no control over it.

We didn't with Stoops and his crew last year.
    I'm just saying, you've heard how Paris' ended up at OU right? They hadn't even heard from OU, but one of CP's friends that we were recruiting wanted her to come check out OU. Only then did Sherri even begin recruiting her.

You don't have to have "the best" talent to win, depending on your definition of talent. Stoops won with good, not great talent. Duke basketball wins every year with great basketball players, not great athletic talent. In hoops, its more about how your team meshes. The last few men's teams at OU haven't meshed. Hopefully the new guys will.

My point is, Kelvin has had enough talent since the Final 4 run to be dangerous. We've just had some character issues, and I think for the most part that'll be behind us now. Reynolds and James are probably Kelvin's best two recruits to date. I think he deserves a couple of years to see if he can't take the program up a notch.

Administrator
    vCash

There's one other huge difference.

Have you listened to the girl's interviews? Have you listened to the guys?

The girls can speak. English. The guys? Not so much. Courtney Paris' IQ > Everett, Gray, and Neal combined. That might just have something to do with the whole "retention" thing.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

C&C, you do have a point there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean

The girls can speak. English. The guys? Not so much. Courtney Paris' IQ > Everett, Gray, and Neal combined. That might just have something to do with the whole "retention" thing.
    I wouldn't lump Neal in there.

Also, didn't the men's team have a higher GPA than the women, as well as one of, if not the highest in the conference?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

true dat

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    I wouldn't lump Neal in there.

Also, didn't the men's team have a higher GPA than the women, as well as one of, if not the highest in the conference?
    I'd kiss your narrow little Stanley *** in front of the stadium if the men's BB GPA is higher than the girls'. Besides Taylor Griffin (pre-med?), what have they got?

And just because Neal is a 3-point boy (like you claim to be) doesn't make him smart.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OKC-SLC's Avatar
    vCash

kelvin's progress since the final four year has been underwhelming.

with the current slope, we'll be losing to manhattan in the first round in two years.

nice post, 04.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OKC-SLC
    kelvin's progress since the final four year has been underwhelming.

with the current slope, we'll be losing to manhattan in the first round in two years.

nice post, 04.
    Sherri's progress since the Final Four year had been more underwhelming than Sampson's. Until she landed Courtney Paris, and now all of a sudden she can coach circles around Kelvin.

That's not meant to knock Coach Coale. She's a remarkable coach and her kudos are well deserved.

Awesoministrator

vCash

I'd kiss your narrow little Stanley *** in front of the stadium if the men's BB GPA is higher than the girls'. Besides Taylor Griffin (pre-med?), what have they got?
    I don't think you'll have to kiss Stanley's *** anytime soon, but I could be wrong.

Our men's BB team had two players (Bookout, Carter) on Academic All-Big 12 Men's Basketball First Team (3.20 or better)

Our women's BB team had five players (Higgins, Preston, Rush, Sanchez, Welch) on Academic All-Big 12 Women's Basketball First Team (3.20 or better) and two (Andrews, Moore) on Academic All-Big 12 Women's Basketball First Team (3.00-3.19).

Freshmen and transfers aren't eligible for the team in their first year, so that DQs the Paris twins and Winchester from the girls and Neal, Griffin, Johnson and Walker from the guys. You also had to compete in 60% of the team's contests, so that DQs walk-ons like Sampson and Ott.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    but I could be wrong.
    You are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Freshmen and transfers aren't eligible for the team in their first year, so that DQs the Paris twins and Winchester from the girls and Neal, Griffin, Johnson and Walker from the guys. You also had to compete in 60% of the team's contests, so that DQs walk-ons like Sampson and Ott.

Maybe if you put all of these restrictions on there. I'm almost positive I saw the numbers for the entire team a few weeks back and it was the highest team GPA since Kelvin has been at OU. I thought it was higher than the girl's team, but I'm not positive. I'll go try to find the numbers now. I'd love for Dean to have to pucker up.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okienole3's Avatar
    vCash

Men’s Basketball Sets Classroom Record
    Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
    Release: 01/12/2006

NORMAN, Okla. – The fall semester was a prosperous one in the classroom for members of the University of Oklahoma men’s basketball team. The squad posted a 3.14 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, setting a single-semester record since Kelvin Sampson was named head coach in April 1994.

Eight of the 12 student-athletes recorded a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Each student-athlete posted at least a 2.5 GPA.

Sophomore Michael Ott earned a team-high 3.75 GPA and was followed by freshman Taylor Griffin (3.71), freshman Austin Johnson (3.63), senior Kevin Bookout (3.50), junior Nate Carter (3.50), sophomore Kellen Sampson (3.40), sophomore Longar Longar (3.00) and junior Michael Neal (3.00).

“We instituted a new attendance policy this year and really emphasized going to study hall and meeting with tutors,” said Sampson. “Besides the kids, the credit for this goes to (associate AD for academic affairs) Dr. Gerald Gurney, (men’s basketball academic counselor) C.B. Elder and (director of academic support services) Randy Garibay. Those guys are great with our kids and our kids take it to task.

“The keys are going to class, going to study hall and meeting with instructors. I’ve never been associated with a team that’s had this many kids with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. It’s something in which we take pride as a staff, but our kids do, too.”

The men’s basketball team’s overall GPA is 3.03.

OU’s spring semester begins on Tuesday, Jan. 17.
    Don't know about the women.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg
    Sherri's progress since the Final Four year had been more underwhelming than Sampson's.
    Sherri hasn't missed the Tournament since the Final Four. Kelvin can't say that.

Sherri's won an outright conference championship and two tournament titles since the Final Four. Kelvin split one conference championship and won the tournament once.

Sherri's kept more than one of her high-school recruits on campus past their sophomore seasons. Kelvin has not.

Sherri's steered clear of the NCAA infractions committee. Kelvin has not.

vCash

04's pretty much summed it up for me.

vCash

04, if you're going to craft a counter-argument against my point, at least have the decency to use my entire point.

I said:

"Sherri's progress since the Final Four year had been more underwhelming than Sampson's. Until she landed Courtney Paris,"

and then you go throwing around numbers from this year...the year she had Courtney Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04
    Sherri hasn't missed the Tournament since the Final Four. Kelvin can't say that.
    True, but it's harder to make it into the men's tourney than the women's and Sampson had as many tourney wins as Coale during that time...despite appearing at one fewer dance.

Additionally, these are the records of each over the past 3 years:

25-8, 20-11, 27-7
    17-13, 24-9, 19-13

Which is most underwhelming?

Sherri's won an outright conference championship and two tournament titles since the Final Four. Kelvin split one conference championship and won the tournament once.
    Before this year (the criteria I was using)...

Sherri went from 5th to 6th to 7th in the conference. She won one conference tournament.
    Kelvin went from 3rd to 7th to 1st in the conference. He won one conference tournament.

Which is most underwhelming?

Sherri's kept more than one of her high-school recruits on campus past their sophomore seasons. Kelvin has not.

Sherri's steered clear of the NCAA infractions committee. Kelvin has not.
    I'll grant you those. But name 3 women's coaches that dosen't apply to. Those things are easier to do in WBB than in men's. And if that's ALL she has on Sampson over the previous three years (basketball success-wise), I'd still say her progress was more underwhelming. Would you disagree?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cam
    04's pretty much summed it up for me.
    I actually agree with a lot of what he said in the 1st post too. I'm thrilled to pieces that the women are where they are and I'm very excited about next year and the following years.

My point is simply that about a year ago, a similar post (about our men headed upward and our women headed down) could've been written. Getting a girl like Courney Paris can change those things. Maybe one of the guys Kelvin has waiting in the wings can help him right his ship.