Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

Arrow Like Two Ships Passing in the Night........

That's how I see our two BBall programs here at the University of Oklahoma.

On one hand you have the men. They feature lackluster attendance, an even more lackluster cluster**** of an offensive philosophy and a dabble of team dissension.

And then you've got the women, who are experiencing what a lot of people around here have known for a LONG time: this state will support a winner. The women are legitimately selling out Lloyd Noble and playing a brand of ball that is sending the natives into a tizzy.

What the hell's going on out there?

Well, we've got two coaches with very different philosophies. One, I'll let you guess who, has formed a solid program and is now reaping the fruits of his labor. One problem, the solid recruits that come with developing a solid program don't fit the mold of player the coach needs to reach the next level of the basketball echelon.

The other coach is constantly changing. The coach reached the Final Four on a team loaded with guards and she utilized their quickness and savvy to construct an offense that was poetry in motion. Said coach had a team of role players and one star who could play anywhere on the floor and she constructed an offense to suit that bunch too. Now this coach has a player as good as anyone to ever lace up sneakers and the offense has evolved into a fast-breaking machine that takes every defensive rebound and looks to turn it into instant offense.

But why will one coach, Sherri Coale, change her ways while one, Kelvin Sampson, viciously hold onto the laurels that got him to where he is now? This is something I've really been struggling with.

For instance, in the NCAA game against Milwaukee, the announcers stated something Kelvin has mentioned several times that Terrell Everett is at his best when the game is helter-skelter. Then why, in the name of all that is Holy, if the only guy you've got on campus who can bring the ball up court is at his best when the game is at its nuttiest, don't you make the game helter-skelter? Why not open up a 3/4 court press and force the game into a frenetic pace? Why not sacrifice defensive positioning for more chances at lay-ups and easy baskets? If your offensive sets look like two yetis boinking in the snow, then why don't you predicate your offense on the two strengths you have: solid rebounding and a point guard who's good in transition.

We didn't do it, though. We kept trying the same old sets that we ran for Ryan Minor and Corey Brewer and our offensive production slipped to anorexic levels. It's sad.

Now the ladies. God, where do I begin. It's amazing what happens when you play to your strengths. Courtney is Wayman with better rebounding ability. Sherri has taken these boards and turned the team loose. Watch how quick and how far out the outlet passes are after almost every defensive rebound. Since we only have one pure shooter, Higgins, Coale has taken the blessed opportunity of having a rebounding machine and turned the rest of the team into thoroughbreds. Whereas Kelvin's boys look like thoroughbreds trying to wade through the muck at some Corpus Christi dogtrack, Sherri's got her team understanding positioning and spacing which in turn leads to open shots when the initial break is thwarted. Turnovers are high, but so are points.

And so are wins.

So, here we are now. We've got a men's team that can't get fans in the seats and we've got a women's team that is the talk of basketball. It all leads to this, in my opinion: Kelvin is in trouble. Two reasons why I believe that:

1. Bad vibe - As the team is walking off the floor, a man leads over the rail into the tunnel and hollers, "You better get your **** together, Kelvin." The strength coach almost came into the stands after him. Couple that with a marijuana incident from your point guard during Tournament week along with the ASU rumors and NCAA investigation and you've got a program coming apart at the seams.

2. Kevin Bookout - This guy would be a great holdover to ease the transition for the incoming freshmen, but he's out of eligibility. Why? Because he voted no on pursuing another year of eligibility through medical hardship. Most kids would give their left nut to play another year of college ball, but Bookout refuses to even open the option. That speaks volumes.

If the NCAA drops the boom on us, then Kelvin's days here are numbered. I honestly believe that. Meanwhile, the women are in the Sweet 16 and are two wins away from their second Final Four in the last five seasons.

Two ships passing in the night. One is chugging along, the other's sinking.

Don't believe me? Here's one last fact: since the men went to the Final Four in 2002, we've had one freshman, ONE FRESHMAN, make it to his junior season: Kevin Bookout. De'Angelo, Lavender, McKenzie, Turner, Foust, Tobias: gone, all before their junior years even began.

Abandon ship.........

You can stand on it SeattleOUstudent's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Like Two Ships Passing in the Night........

Brando.....*sniffle*

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

MAJOR LEAGUE SPEK 04.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04
    Don't believe me? Here's one last fact: since the men went to the Final Four in 2002, we've had one freshman, ONE FRESHMAN, make it to his junior season: Kevin Bookout. De'Angelo, Lavender, McKenzie, Turner, Foust, Tobias: gone, all before their junior years even began.
    I wasn't aware of that last fact, but I am now.

vCash

Remember when I made my annual "Kelvin is killing OU basketball" post after the second round loss to Purdue a few years ago? Yeah, I'd KILL for a hard-fought second round loss at this point.

'Cause, you know, it would mean we MADE IT TO THE FREAKIN' SECOND ROUND.
    I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

these are sad times when '04 is kicking the KS out the door.
    my biggest disappointment is the fact we've built nothing upon that great final four team.

word.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

One ship is the Titanic and the other is a Carnival Cruise Line ship. Which would you rather be on???

Party on Garth!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

By the way the white smoke is coming out of Terrell Everetts cabin.

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Declan McManus
    Remember when I made my annual "Kelvin is killing OU basketball" post after the second round loss to Purdue a few years ago? Yeah, I'd KILL for a hard-fought second round loss at this point.

'Cause, you know, it would mean we MADE IT TO THE FREAKIN' SECOND ROUND.
    Ah. The 1999-2000 season. I was there. There was abso-freakin-lutely nothing else to do anywhere near that arena.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

maybe the first time I've agreed with 04. He'll probably pray its the last time I agree with him..

Excellent post man. props

OU needs a new Captain Stubing (to play along with this theme).

I'd go short and fat, Majerus, or tall and skinny, Pelphrey.

Should I even be mentioning names? Is Kelvin looking at other jobs? The paper today said he was "traveling on business" today. Is he speaking to other Universities? Is this all just wishful thinking? Does anyone have any information?

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

There was also abso-freakin'lutely nothing stopping us from a final 4 that year. The west region was blown wide open. We'd have been by far the best team at the regionals.

I still keep seeing missed 3's from that game in my sleep. The 2nd round last year didn't help matters. It was like deja'brick all over again.

We had so many chances to put that game away....

Sooner All-World
    vCash

we can only hope brasky!
    Hopefully some JUCO will snatch him up.

indeed martin. indeed.

it's quite shocking and interesting to me that those of us who are for a change have been allowed to express their opinions on here. i appreciate it mods.

it also leads me to start thinking that we "dissenters" may be on to something. and yes, I believe there was more than one gunman.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Damn, this really sucks.

I just hope that it happens with KS leaving for another job, not JC trying to fire a guy after getting to the big dance one year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

We need more 04 posts like this and less 04 antagonism.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i don't think it's necessarily true that Bookout not seeking a medical RS "speaks volumes" about KS.

nice to see the King of America on this one: oh lord, please don't let him be misunderstood.

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

Well since you guys are stroking each other up so much on this thread, can we come to an agreement as a board for just the next week or two?

Any thread on Women's basketball remains only about women's basketball. I think the ladies have deserved atleast that amount of respect at this point. If anybody absolutely feels the need to post some snide comment about the men's team while reading a thread about the lady's team, they post it here. Agreed?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

All good points...Why the he__ is Kelvin so stubborn on his style of play ? You have to bend and mold your style to fit your current talent. I guess that is the part I do not understand about Kelvin...