SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Good Morning...Chick kills "pump & dump" playa and walks!

my how times have changed...

March 16 1881 A virtuous woman turns murderous

Los Angeles, ca. 1880

On this day 125 years ago, 40 year old Francisco "Chico" Forster is shot to death on downtown Los Angeles street by his jilted lover, eighteen-year old Lastania Abarta. The Forster was the son of wealthy Los Angeles land developer and considered one of the city's most eligible bachelors despite his reputation for womanizing and poorly treating women.

Lastania Abarta worked in her parent's pool hall, where she sang, played the guitar, and met freqent customer Forster. On March 14, she was invited to perform at a party given by Pio Pico, California's last Mexican governor. After her performance, she left with Forster and they headed over to LA's finest hotel.

LA hotel where Lastania Abarta "lost her virtue"

Apparently, the couple made love after Forster promised to marry Abarta. But when Forster disappeared and didn't return with a ring or priest to perform the ceremony, Abarta and her sister Hortensia started to comb the city in search of him. They finally found him at a race track gambling and dragged him to their cab for a trip to the church.

But Forster got out of the cab on the way, the women closely following behind until Abarta suddenly pulled out a gun and shot him through the eye. Outraged by his son's untimely death, Forster's father hired a special prosecutor to make sure that Abarta was properly punished.

Scene of the crime

Abarta's lawyers tried a novel defense, they ran with America's 1880s obsession with "female hysteria." Medical theories of the time held that women could be driven crazy because of their reproductive system.

Their first step was to introduce in evidence the blood stained sheets from the hotel where Abarta lost her virginity to Forster. The lawyers then trotted out no less than seven medical experts who expounded their hysteria theories. They testified that Abarta was clearly displaying classic "hysterical symptoms" caused "because her brain was undoubtedly congested with blood," when she killed Forster.

However, the most important testimony came from Dr. Joseph Kurtz who received applause from the spectators in the courtroom when he stated that "Any virtuous woman when deprived of her virtue would go mad, undoubtedly." The jury, all men of course, took just twenty minutes to acquit Abarta, who left town and disappeared out of sight.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Re: Good Morning...Chick kills "pump & dump" playa and walks!

I love your morning lessons, but I love the photo captions even more.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Female hysteria is NOT limited to losing their virtue, it also occurs on a monthly basis, when you ask why dinner is taking so long, when I am trying to watch the Sopranos, etc.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IronSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's amazing the insight they had back in those days.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

I imagine people will look back 100 years from now on the temporary insanity defense with the same amount of incredulity as we do on the female hysteria defense now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    my how times have changed...

March 16 1881 A virtuous woman turns murderous

Los Angeles, ca. 1880

On this day 125 years ago, 40 year old Francisco "Chico" Forster is shot to death on downtown Los Angeles street by his jilted lover, eighteen-year old Lastania Abarta. The Forster was the son of wealthy Los Angeles land developer and considered one of the city's most eligible bachelors despite his reputation for womanizing and poorly treating women.

Lastania Abarta worked in her parent's pool hall, where she sang, played the guitar, and met freqent customer Forster. On March 14, she was invited to perform at a party given by Pio Pico, California's last Mexican governor. After her performance, she left with Forster and they headed over to LA's finest hotel.

LA hotel where Lastania Abarta "lost her virtue"

Apparently, the couple made love after Forster promised to marry Abarta. But when Forster disappeared and didn't return with a ring or priest to perform the ceremony, Abarta and her sister Hortensia started to comb the city in search of him. They finally found him at a race track gambling and dragged him to their cab for a trip to the church.

But Forster got out of the cab on the way, the women closely following behind until Abarta suddenly pulled out a gun and shot him through the eye. Outraged by his son's untimely death, Forster's father hired a special prosecutor to make sure that Abarta was properly punished.

Scene of the crime

Abarta's lawyers tried a novel defense, they ran with America's 1880s obsession with "female hysteria." Medical theories of the time held that women could be driven crazy because of their reproductive system.

Their first step was to introduce in evidence the blood stained sheets from the hotel where Abarta lost her virginity to Forster. The lawyers then trotted out no less than seven medical experts who expounded their hysteria theories. They testified that Abarta was clearly displaying classic "hysterical symptoms" caused "because her brain was undoubtedly congested with blood," when she killed Forster.

However, the most important testimony came from Dr. Joseph Kurtz who received applause from the spectators in the courtroom when he stated that "Any virtuous woman when deprived of her virtue would go mad, undoubtedly." The jury, all men of course, took just twenty minutes to acquit Abarta, who left town and disappeared out of sight.
    There wouldn't be too many men around these days if that was still an excepted defense.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Pieces Hit's Avatar
    vCash

Semi-related thread jack:

I saw a show documenting how doctors used to use vibrators to bring women to orgasm to help them overcome "female hysteria".

Cool job.

Also, I imagine some of those women had some high doctor bills.

1st team All-American Crimson_Balls's Avatar
    vCash

>Ron's Story A must read for all men.
    >
    >It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes
    >harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they
    >were younger.
    >
    >When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and
    >there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.
    >
    >My name is Ron......Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife,
    >Julie.
    >
    >When I took "early retirement" last year, it became necessary for Julie to
    >get a full-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that
    >we needed.
    >
    >Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her
    >age. I usually get home from the golf course about the same time she gets
    >home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says
    >she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't
    >yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she
    >gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the
    >club so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home cooked grub
    >when I hit that door.
    >
    >She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not
    >unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do
    >what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that
    >they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does
    >seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.
    >
    >Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example she will say
    >that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during
    >her lunch hour. But, boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile
    >and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even
    >three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that
    >missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know
    >what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.
    >
    >When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She
    >had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try
    >not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big,
    >cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as
    >long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too.
    >
    >I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Julie. I'm
    >not saying that showing this much consideration is easy.
    >
    >Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows
    >better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older.
    >
    >However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism
    >of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it
    >was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each
    >other...
    >
    >Signed, Ron
    >
    >
    >EDITOR'S NOTE: Ron died suddenly on October 3rd. He was found with a
    >Calloway extra long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II rammed up his ***, with
    >only 2 inches of grip showing. His wife Julie was arrested, but the
    >all-woman Grand Jury accepted her defense that he accidentally sat down on
    >it very suddenly....
    >

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Gotta love the resume of those doctors:

Hobbies: same.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

Before clicking on the thread, I was somewhat concerned about Stanley's well being.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Kitten
    Before clicking on the thread, I was somewhat concerned about Stanley's well being.
    Great minds think alike.

In Pacem Requiescat --- October 5, 2003 - October 18, 2010.

Never gonna give you up
    vCash

Pump and dump, heh.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Czar Soonerov
    Pump and dump, heh.
    The judges will also accept "f**k and chuck" or "bop and drop," Alex.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

The judges will also accept "f**k and chuck" or "bop and drop," Alex.
    Or

Screw and flew

Blow and go (but one must be careful with this phrase due to potential ghey implications)

and

Nail and bail