Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Rundgren is now Ric Ocasek/ Benjamin Orr?

Last edited by sooneron; 3/15/2006 at 01:40 PM.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Rundgren is now Ric Ocasek/ Benjamin Orr?

sounds more like adding Eliot Easton to a Rundgren side project--he and Sultan were in Utopia and Rundgren produced the Tubes.

but, if they are going to play Cars songs....

weird. though i had a friend (one of those Rundgren heads you read about, and i'm a casual TR fan) drag me to see TR in Denver about 15 years ago and it was a great show. really, fantastic. maybe despite all the conterveiling logic it will be good. who knows?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Strange, but at least it's not Devo 2.0

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Oh, and I should add...Rundgren is greatness.

vCash

he raised Steven Tyler's kid ok

vCash

I have nothing against TR. I totally respect his work. I was never a huge fan, but it seems weird.
    KC- Don't forget that the group also retains Greg Hawkes, Cars keyboardist.
    I'm glad Easton is out there performing. I always thought he was underrated b/c of the genre the Cars played.
    I still think they should be in the hall.

On a side note, I've listened to some of Ric's new album and it's purty good. I may have to go pick it up.
    I wonder why he didn't reunite with the other guys for this.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Beef's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron
    Too busy nailing Paulina. Unless he's dead. Then that would be a tacky comment and I apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Him being a ****ing tard does. You don't smack down your mongoloid cousin when he spits taters across the table.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron
    I have nothing against TR. I totally respect his work. I was never a huge fan, but it seems weird.
    KC- Don't forget that the group also retains Greg Hawkes, Cars keyboardist.
    I'm glad Easton is out there performing. I always thought he was underrated b/c of the genre the Cars played.
    I still think they should be in the hall.

On a side note, I've listened to some of Ric's new album and it's purty good. I may have to go pick it up.
    i guess 2 things:

1. i think without saying it i was responding to TR's reputation as a control freak. he locked Andy Partridge and XTC in the studio to make skylarking and then (they say) he turned into the continuous concept album it came out as in post-production.....against their wishes. Todd isn't a great team player, seems. and signing on to do sets of other people's songs seems odd.

2. I used to own Easton's solo record which was pretty good. though, i remember it got more music press since the single has a lick that was astonishing similar one of the lesser songs on the White Album--mother's nature son maybe. i'm having a bad memory day. Easton was real forthwright that he didn't do it on purpose but, yeah, he admitted it sounded exactly the same and even offered that he may have picked it up unconsciously. but, i think that hurt his rep some....too. i don't think he ripped it off....but it was bad pub for the record at the time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beef
    Too busy nailing Paulina. Unless he's dead. Then that would be a tacky comment and I apologize.
    I guy that I used to work with lived in their building. Said that Ric was always at home whilst Paulina partied. I saw Ric walking in his 'hood one day and I swear his adam's apple could turn a corner 5 minutes before the rest of him.

KC- I never heard that Easton story. It's sort of ridiculous to think that someone is going to do something rock guitar wise that sounds unlike anything previously done. I can see why people would jump on it, but the guy definitely had chops.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

i agree it's ridiculous (i turn on the local college station and you hear Syd Barrett, Sonic Youth, pavement, Bowie ad nauseum.....but it's all "new artists"), i just think the "accusation" kind of sunk his record (vocals by jules Shear) and made it impossible for him/anyone to escape from the Cars "were all" Ric Ocasek's genius brainchild myth. particularly after Ocasek became a bit of an MTV darling.

vCash

Well, he did write the Shake It Up album in one night!
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

My question is will Rundgren pick up a bass for Orr's songs, and play guitar on Ocasek's?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    My question is will Rundgren pick up a bass for Orr's songs, and play guitar on Ocasek's?
    It would be kewl if he'd switch wigs whilst doing so.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Sorry, but the Cars without Ric Ocasek is like Van Halen without DLR or the Crue without Vince Neil. Hearing another singer do a Cars original will sound like kareoke no matter how talented the dude is.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman71
    Sorry, but the Cars without Ric Ocasek is like Van Halen without DLR or the Crue without Vince Neil. Hearing another singer do a Cars original will sound like kareoke no matter how talented the dude is.
    I pretty much concur.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman71
    Except for the songs that Orr sang, so it would be more like a band that had two guys sing missing both. Personally I think they sounded better on Orr's songs.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

i guess while it's less than likely (the Roadrage Tour title made me cringe)....it just seems so impossible, so colossally bad, so unlikely.....maybe it's gonna be awesome.

Jimmy Page was at his last "how can i rip-off the LZ name one more time" end of rope....and started practicing (and probably sobered up) and made the really excellent Live at the Greek record with the Black Crowes--heavily featuring songs from LZ III and Graffiti--and an interesting groups of covers including Peter Green's Oh Well and a Yardbirds staple Shapes of Things.

i heard a radio special on it about a month after the shows and before the record came out and i coulnd't have possibly thought of a worse idea. then they played some of the cuts.

who knows?

yeah, it's a reach....

vCash

Yes, roadrage, terrible this idea is!

Soonerinabilene